Vote for Peace: Ride a Bicycle!!!

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> | P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
> | >

> | > Not everyone is forced to drive in rush hour traffic and even if they are, there are
> many
> | > opprotunities to drive where/when traffic isn't an issue.
> |
> | I've got to say, the idea of an "opportunity to drive" is foreign to
> | me. It's not that I never drive - but it's like having an "opportunity" to take out the
> | garbage. I'm not interested in doing it any more than I have to.
>
> Some folks can't grasp the concept of driving for fun, or for pleasure, or to > get to a place
> that offers much better riding than their local areas.

is like, and while I could see how it could be fun for them, it doesn't melt my butter.

So, you go drive your car, cooped up in a malodorous steel box, and have your form of fun.

Me, I'll be on my bike, out in the fresh air, getting exercise, and enjoying life in a way that can
not be possible when there is a barrier between me and the rest of the world.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm Singing with you at: http://www.tiferet.net/ Books
just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

"garmonboezia" <cthvlhv@r'lyeh.arg> wrote in message news:fySea.196757$S_4.108442@rwcrnsc53...
| "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in
| news:[email protected]:
|

| > Some folks can't grasp the concept of driving for fun, or for pleasure, or to get to a place
| > that offers much better riding than their local areas.
| >
| > Some folks live sheltered lives, or have an ingrained fear of autos.
| >

| You're right about that. I can't grasp it. I've never driven and I don't plan to start now.

It's not surprising that you can't understand something that you've never experienced.

<snip babble

archer <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > archer wrote:
> > >
> > > I would love to be able to ride to work, approx 12 miles each way, but there's a big bridge on
> > > the route, and bikes are not allowed on it (and neither are pedestrians).
> >
> > You sure there's no way around it? I've found a few alternative routes on my commute using
> > mapquest that would have required some exploring to find.
>
> The only alternate routes to the other side of Narragansett Bay which allow bikes make 12 miles
> into about 50 miles, unless I pretend I'm a triathlete, and swim across 2 miles of water towing my
> bike behind me <GG>.

Can you load the bike on to mass transit for the bridge section? Many bicycle commuters here load
bikes onto the bus between the Evergreen Point and Montlake stations on the Evergreen Point Floating
Bridge (which is motor vehicle only). Apparently during commuter hours the racks fill up to the
extent that a bus that is making the crossing, even if not in service, is required to stop at these
two places to pick up cyclists. In my experience, for the occasional time I cross the lake there,
the bus always has had an available slot on the rack.

P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:

> "Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> | I've got to say, the idea of an "opportunity to drive" is foreign to
> | me. It's not that I never drive - but it's like having an "opportunity" to take out the
> | garbage. I'm not interested in doing it any more than I have to.
>
> Some folks can't grasp the concept of driving for fun, or for pleasure, or to get to a place that
> offers much better riding than their local areas.

I'm familiar with the concept of driving for fun. I remember being 17 years old. "Wowee! I can
drive! This is so cool!"

Then I grew up.

> Some folks live sheltered lives, or have an ingrained fear of autos.

Oh, doubtlessly! But in America, the ones living the most sheltered lives are those who fear going
anywhere but in their cars. (Somehow, the auto enthusiasts don't notice that close link between them
and the fearful, frail lady down the street.)

BTW, I've never met anyone who considered my life sheltered. I've encountered some wistful
envy instead.

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

| "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

| > many
| > |
| > | I've got to say, the idea of an "opportunity to drive" is foreign to
| > | me. It's not that I never drive - but it's like having an "opportunity" to take out the
| > | garbage. I'm not interested in doing it any more than I have to.
| >
| > Some folks can't grasp the concept of driving for fun, or for pleasure, or to > get to
a place that offers much better riding than their local areas.

| is like, and while I could see how it could be fun for them, it doesn't melt my butter.

You "anti-car,, bikes are the only solution" loons crack me up.

| So, you go drive your car, cooped up in a malodorous steel box, and have your form of fun.

Why do you assume that becasue someone drives they don't also ride?

| Me, I'll be on my bike, out in the fresh air, getting exercise, and enjoying life in a way that
| can not be possible when there is a barrier between me and the rest of the world.

Yeah, I might be riding too, but without the goofy newage metaphysical fakeness.

p.s. My car isn't malodorous. It just runs a bit rich at idle because the cats are fried.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Claire Petersky) writes:

> It is much better to join the queue of motor vehicles than to skoogie up to the front of the line
^^^^^^^

I really like that word. Did you just coin it in a moment of automatic creativity? I thought it
might have some Chinook etymology, but it apparently doesn't. I'm guessing it's a combination of
"skootch" (scootch?) and "boogie".

When my next door neighbour can't find the right word, he uses "dookie" as a filler. E.g: "I've
gotta tighten that dookie thing on my bike; the seat keeps sliding down."

Then there was the time I was describing my bouillabaisse recipe to him -- rendering a red snapper
head for the base stock. So now, when he doesn't know somebody's name, he refers to them as
"snapperhead".

I find it most fascinating, how language is so prolific and self-creating. It could make an
interesting AI project.

Anyhoo, I gotta get on my bike now, and skoogie down to Canoodlin' Liar (Canadian Tire) to buy a new
hot plate.

Hey, "skoogie" could be a dance step. Now I'm wondering how Little Eva would've sung about it. Might
have the makings of a good tune.

Yeah. Skoogie. I like it! And the leading "Sk" lends a PNW flavour to it. That's why I thought it
might have roots in Chinook.

May I use it, please?

cheers, Tom

* I have an aunt who flips out whenever anybody suffixes "wise" to any word other than "clock".