Vote for Peace: Ride a Bicycle!!!

Sorry for multi-posting. X-News kept hanging with no indication of msg sent.

Erik Freitag <[email protected]> wrote:

>In <[email protected]> Mark Hickey wrote:
>> I'm not saying it wouldn't be possible to get doored in every bike lane in Tempe, but certainly
>> anyone who's ridden enough "non bike lane miles" to learn how to survive won't have a problem
>> riding the Tempe bike lanes.

>What do your bike lanes do at intersections? 90% of mine have a dotted line to the left, but stay
>on the right (that is to say, wrong) side of the street. There are a few (that would be the other
>10%) places that have a straight-through bike lane.
>
>California law says I'm supposed to go to the left of the dotted line if I want to go straight, but
>there are some very stern, very frank motorists who think I'm supposed to disappear at the corner
>and re- appear on the other side of the intersection.

It's a mixed bag. On intersections with right turn lanes, the bike lane disappears until the other
side of the intersection (there is little time or distance for this to be a real problem - even
coasting from the end of the bike lane marking to the intersection won't put you in the way of many
cars who are going to have to slow down to make the right turn anyway).

There are other intersections that "squeezes out" the bike lane for maybe 50m (150') on either side
of the intersecting road. For those, you just merge in with traffic. Again, I don't find this to be
much of a problem and I very seldom have drivers take exception to my riding "in their lane".

Brent P wrote:

> I will ask you the question no bike lane supporter has ever been able to answer. WHAT IS A WELL
> DESIGNED BIKE LANE AND HOW DOES IT PREVENT ADDITIONAL COMPLICATION TO INTERSECTIONS?

I think that the only way to address that is to have the bike lane end about 500 to 1000 feet before
the intersection (and have advance signage telling the cyclist to merge into the appropriate lane
depending on what direction he's going).

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> It's not surprising that you can't understand something that you've never
experienced.

Yup, I have no idea what it's like to sit on Mercer waiting for the light to change so I can move up
another 10 feet. No sympathy either.

Arif Khokar wrote:

> Brent P wrote:
>
> > I will ask you the question no bike lane supporter has ever been able to answer. WHAT IS A WELL
> > DESIGNED BIKE LANE AND HOW DOES IT PREVENT ADDITIONAL COMPLICATION TO INTERSECTIONS?
>
> I think that the only way to address that is to have the bike lane end about 500 to 1000 feet
> before the intersection (and have advance signage telling the cyclist to merge into the
> appropriate lane depending on what direction he's going).

That would be an improvement. But what it leads to is a stripe on the pavement between
intersections, where most people realize it's not needed. (After all, "hit from behind" is a very,
very tiny percentage of car-bike crashes).

And then, no stripe at intersections, which is where almost all the accidents happen, and where
people may logically wish something could be done - but where bike lanes make things worse.

It makes me wonder, what's the point? Why not just a reasonably wide outside lane?

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, Arif Khokar wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
>
>> I will ask you the question no bike lane supporter has ever been able to answer. WHAT IS A WELL
>> DESIGNED BIKE LANE AND HOW DOES IT PREVENT ADDITIONAL COMPLICATION TO INTERSECTIONS?

> I think that the only way to address that is to have the bike lane end about 500 to 1000 feet
> before the intersection (and have advance signage telling the cyclist to merge into the
> appropriate lane depending on what direction he's going).

Considering most places where I find bike lanes have intersections closer together than that, it
would mean no bike lane at all. :)

But even if this were a suburban area where such might be doable geography wise the merges are
needless pain for cyclists. Merges are not as easy on a bicycle as they are with a motor vehicle. I
generally go into a sprint, aim for a hole in traffic and go for it. Often motorists will press
their right foot down and close the hole.

If the post merge lane is going to be as wide as the bike lane + regular lane then it's best to just
not have the bike lane at all.

P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:

> "Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> | P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:

> | > Some folks can't grasp the concept of driving for fun, or for pleasure, or to get to a place
> | > that offers much better riding than their local areas.
> |
> | I'm familiar with the concept of driving for fun. I remember being 17 years old. "Wowee! I can
> | drive! This is so cool!"
> |
> | Then I grew up.
>
> Substitute "riding a bicycle" and "I can ride" to see the silliness of your comments.

Um... let's see, are you trying to say it's very mature to consume gasoline and produce pollution
for purely recreational purposes? Or are you trying to say it's juvenile to use an efficient and
health-giving method of transportation?

> | > Some folks live sheltered lives, or have an ingrained fear of autos.
> |
> | Oh, doubtlessly! But in America, the ones living the most sheltered lives are those who fear
> | going anywhere but in their cars. (Somehow, the auto enthusiasts don't notice that close link
> | between them and the fearful, frail lady down the street.)
>
> Why do you assume that people who enjoy driving are fearful of going anywhere but in their cars?
> That's quite bizarre.

I'll try again, since you're having trouble understanding.

I didn't say that those who enjoy driving are fearful. I said they have much in common with
fearful people.

It's quite common these days for people to be afraid of walking around their towns. It's even
more common for people to be afraid of riding a bicycle. Those fearful people travel almost
exclusively by car.

Many driving enthusiasts also travel almost exclusively by car. They typically feel cool and macho
while doing it. Yet the "cool, macho" thing they are doing is exactly the same thing the timid,
fearful people are doing: using an expensive, oversized metal box to haul their tiny body around.

Sure, the motivations are different. But the results are the same. And the guy stuck in traffic next
to you can't tell if you're there because you're timid, or there because you're so cool. It makes no
difference.

> | BTW, I've never met anyone who considered my life sheltered. I've encountered some wistful envy
> | instead.
>
> What qualities does your life have that would make one wistfully envious? Especially if they don't
> know the first thing about your life...

You _don't_ know the first thing about my life. But the people I'm speaking of do.

One of the things I've done with my life is to reduce my car expenses, and use the monetary savings
to gain memorable experiences. One notable example of that was when my family sold a car
(deliberately going from a two car to a one car family) and used the proceeds to finance a one-month
bicycle tour of England and Scotland. Some of the photos I took on that tour were used in Bicycling
magazine, including one used as the cover photo. All in all, the trip was a very memorable
experience. And we've had many more similar experiences.

I've found that if you reduce your use of motor vehicles and television, life gets much, much more
interesting. (I know that's an anti-American statement, but there it is.)

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

"Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:

| > |
| > | I'm familiar with the concept of driving for fun. I remember being 17 years old. "Wowee! I can
| > | drive! This is so cool!"
| > |
| > | Then I grew up.
| >
| > Substitute "riding a bicycle" and "I can ride" to see the silliness of your comments.
|
| Um... let's see, are you trying to say it's very mature to consume gasoline and produce pollution
| for purely recreational purposes? Or are you trying to say it's juvenile to use an efficient and
| health-giving method of transportation?

I'm not surprised that you missed the parallel between your silly comments and the silly comments of
people that think that folks who ride "haven't grown up."

Maybe if you read it again you'll get it. Maybe.

| > |
| > | Oh, doubtlessly! But in America, the ones living the most sheltered lives are those who fear
| > | going anywhere but in their cars. (Somehow, the auto enthusiasts don't notice that close link
| > | between them and the fearful, frail lady down the street.)
| >
| > Why do you assume that people who enjoy driving are fearful of going anywhere but in
their
| > cars? That's quite bizarre.
|
| I'll try again, since you're having trouble understanding.
|
| I didn't say that those who enjoy driving are fearful. I said they have much in common with
| fearful people.
|
| It's quite common these days for people to be afraid of walking around their towns. It's even
| more common for people to be afraid of riding a bicycle. Those fearful people travel almost
| exclusively by car.
|
| Many driving enthusiasts also travel almost exclusively by car. They typically feel cool and macho
| while doing it. Yet the "cool, macho" thing they are doing is exactly the same thing the timid,
| fearful people are doing: using an expensive, oversized metal box to haul their tiny body around.
|
| Sure, the motivations are different. But the results are the same. And the guy stuck in traffic
| next to you can't tell if you're there because you're timid, or there because you're so cool. It
| makes no difference.

Truly bizarre and yet more evidence of how sheltered your life is regarding driving for pleasure.

| > | BTW, I've never met anyone who considered my life sheltered. I've encountered some wistful
| > | envy instead.
| >
| > What qualities does your life have that would make one wistfully envious? Especially
if
| > they don't know the first thing about your life...
|
| You _don't_ know the first thing about my life.

Obviously, hence my question.

|But the people I'm
| speaking of do.
|
| One of the things I've done with my life is to reduce my car expenses, and use the monetary
| savings to gain memorable experiences.

Bully for you. Some folks don't have to reduce car expenses to gain memorable experiences. They can
enjoy both.

One notable
| example of that was when my family sold a car (deliberately going from a two car to a one car
| family) and used the proceeds to finance a one-month bicycle tour of England and Scotland. Some of
| the photos I took on that tour were used in Bicycling magazine, including one used as the cover
| photo. All in all, the trip was a very memorable experience. And we've had many more similar
| experiences.

Kind of a bizarre tangent, but whatever. Perhaps selling a car was the only way for you to take such
a vacation but that is not the only way that many, many people can afford to take vacations, and
still keep their car(s).

| I've found that if you reduce your use of motor vehicles and television, life gets much, much more
| interesting. (I know that's an anti-American statement, but there it is.)

I find that I agree with you about most TV but life can be very, very interesting when using a motor
vehicle, especially when you usually get 25-26 mpg on the highway and you spends hours in the 4-5
mpg zone (I know that will bunch the panties of the anti-car freaks, but there it is).

p.s. After reading what you have shared about your life, I'm far from wistfully envious. In fact, it
makes me appreciate my life all the more.

In article <[email protected]>, Arif Khokar wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
>
>> I will ask you the question no bike lane supporter has ever been able to answer. WHAT IS A WELL
>> DESIGNED BIKE LANE AND HOW DOES IT PREVENT ADDITIONAL COMPLICATION TO INTERSECTIONS?

> I think that the only way to address that is to have the bike lane end about 500 to 1000 feet
> before the intersection (and have advance signage telling the cyclist to merge into the
> appropriate lane depending on what direction he's going).

Considering most places where I find bike lanes have intersections closer together than that, it
would mean no bike lane at all. :)

But even if this were a suburban area where such might be doable geography wise the merges are
needless pain for cyclists. Merges are not as easy on a bicycle as they are with a motor vehicle. I
generally go into a sprint, aim for a hole in traffic and go for it. Often motorists will press
their right foot down and close the hole.

If the post merge lane is going to be as wide as the bike lane + regular lane then it's best to just
not have the bike lane at all.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Brent
P) writes:

> But even if this were a suburban area where such might be doable geography wise the merges are
> needless pain for cyclists. Merges are not as easy on a bicycle as they are with a motor vehicle.

I assume you're referring to cloverleaf-type on-ramps, like this:

. ----> BIKE---> / --------------------------/ /
/--------------
. / . / R /
. A . / C /

I don't like those much, either. The further into the lane one rides, the more on-ramp one has to
get past, while the closer to the shoulder/on-ramp one rides, the more visibility and timing become
problematic. Our local Barnett Hwy is fraught with bike lanes and these luxuriously curved and
reverse-funnel'd (from the POV of cars) on-ramp thingies. Fortunately, ingressing traffic is
generally quite light along there, so it can be gotten-away with.

> I generally go into a sprint, aim for a hole in traffic and go for it.

I sometimes go into a sprint and try to break the sound barrier. Or at least, the speed limit. Or
slow down, timing to either keep ahead of, or lag behind a break in the traffic coming up behind me,
so ingressors can take advantage of that break, without hitting me. Timing is everything. It's those
holes in the traffic that trigger the ingressors to make their move. I prefer to stay out of those
holes. Sometimes, car traffic beside one can be sheltering. But, I live in a land where cyclists are
legislatively relegated to the highways' shoulders.

> Often motorists will press their right foot down and close the hole.

And motorists often can also move to the inside lane, to let any ingressors into the outside lane.
On bike it's no sweat to slow down a bit and let somebody in. Again, timing is everything. I like to
envision a well-choreographed merge as the two sides of a closing zipper, where nobody is put-out by
much. This type of intersection surely acquaints one with the [few] limitations of bicycles --
especially where we can't really, truly participate in merging. As you say: merges are not so easy
on a bicycle. In British Columbia, they're usually not even lawfully possible.

> If the post merge lane is going to be as wide as the bike lane + regular lane then it's best to
> just not have the bike lane at all.

Bicycle overpasses ;-) Before that happens, in the meantime, good eyes attached to a functional
brain, and occasional shifting to the big ring will have to get us by.

cheers, Tom