Vredestein Fortezza TriComp?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bryan, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    Getting anxious to stock up on tires for 2003.

    Current favorite is Vittoria Open CX TT. Vittoria's ride great, but I think they are a little too
    flimsy (cut easy and wear fast) to use 100% of the time.

    Wondering if I should try out the Fortezza TriComps? Found a place to buy at $25US/ea, so high price
    is not a factor. Looking for long lasting, good puncture/cut resistence, and excellent high speed
    cornering for twisty decents, all-round training/racing tire.

    - Thumbs up or down?

    - Use it or lose it (what tire beats it)?

    -------
    to reply, remove ".nospam"

    Tags:

  2. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Bryan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Getting anxious to stock up on tires for 2003.
    >
    > Current favorite is Vittoria Open CX TT. Vittoria's ride great, but I think they are a little too
    > flimsy (cut easy and wear fast) to use 100% of the time.
    >
    > Wondering if I should try out the Fortezza TriComps? Found a place to buy at $25US/ea, so high
    > price is not a factor. Looking for long lasting, good puncture/cut resistence, and excellent high
    > speed cornering for twisty decents, all-round training/racing tire.
    >
    > - Thumbs up or down?
    >
    > - Use it or lose it (what tire beats it)?
    >
    > -------

    I like the TriComp a lot. I find them to have very good punture and case cut resistance. The wear is
    pretty decent. The construction is good: the hard compund is the first one on the case, and the
    softer rubber is put on the outside on the sides. Why this is good is stability is very good. I rode
    the Vittoria Techno Twin Treads for a while and they are constructed the other way: the soft rubber
    goes on first, then a harder band is put on the center. The hard strip wore off fast and they always
    felt like they were squirming around in turns: not exactly confidence-inspiring. The TriComps are
    very stable and predictable. So let me know where you can get them for that price. I could stand to
    get a few for the coming year...

    --
    tanx, Howard

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

    For some people, quantity IS quality...

  3. Michael Hoyt

    Michael Hoyt Guest

    They are wonderful tires. The regular Fortezzas are great too. Great cornering. Nice compliant roll
    even at suggested pressure of 145. There aren't many tires out there that have that wonderful ride.
    You can't go wrong.

    For racing the Veloflex Pave tires are great. They are just a little fragile for year
    round training.

    Bryan wrote:

    > Getting anxious to stock up on tires for 2003.
    >
    > Current favorite is Vittoria Open CX TT. Vittoria's ride great, but I think they are a little too
    > flimsy (cut easy and wear fast) to use 100% of the time.
    >
    > Wondering if I should try out the Fortezza TriComps? Found a place to buy at $25US/ea, so high
    > price is not a factor. Looking for long lasting, good puncture/cut resistence, and excellent high
    > speed cornering for twisty decents, all-round training/racing tire.
    >
    > - Thumbs up or down?
    >
    > - Use it or lose it (what tire beats it)?
    >
    > -------
    > to reply, remove ".nospam"

  4. Race170

    Race170 Guest

    I've been riding the Vredestein Fortezzas (not the tri comps) for several years now. They corner
    very nicely, are very stable in the wet, and my incidents of punctures has gone down dramatically. I
    also like the 145 psi rating. At this point I won't race on anything else.