Vredestein Volante Tyres [warning!]

BIANCHI_EURO

May 30, 2004
WARNING!

Last year I bought a set of Vredestein Volante Clincher tyres. They were very light, not too expensive and in my so much favoured Bianchi colour!

I rode on them less than five ordinary training rides. Than during the first serious descent in the Dolomites both tyres exploded at the same time! It was a miracle I was able to stop my bike without falling from a speed of about 80km/h to zero. Also I was riding next to a very steep and rocky gorge.

Later I found out both tyres collapsed due to their way too light construction (one ply of thread). The road was perfect dark black flat asphalt, no stones, tyres were inflated at the manufacturers pressure just before the race, I used new inner tyres.

Though both my rims were a total loss, when I informed the Dutch factory about this dangerous accident with their tyres, they were just anxious to waive a possible claim. I never received any money back from them for the tyres and due to lack of interest of them I threw away the tyres instead of handing them over for "research purposes"...

I wonder if anybody has simmilar experience with Vredestein tyres?

Be warned! Frank.

I'm also a Bianchi rider (EV4)...but I ride Tufo tubulars.

As far as the Vredestein Volante, they do not seem to be highly regarded. Read the two bottom reviews here:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/Tires+-+Clincher/Vredestein+Volante+Road/PRD_33195_2489crx.aspx

For making dangerous descents in the Dolomites, I advise investing in a top quality tire with good durability. If you want to save a few grams, get the best set of light climbing wheels you can afford.