VREX hubs

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by hawesgb, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. hawesgb

    hawesgb Guest

    When should the hubs on a VREX be repacked? The wheels spin freely now. Is there more to it
    then that?

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    > When should the hubs on a VREX be repacked? The wheels spin freely now. Is there more to it
    > then that?

    It depends on how many miles you ride, what kind of roads you ride on, what weather conditions,
    etc, etc...

    The wheels will spin freely on the bike well past the time the hubs should be repacked. Take a wheel
    off and turn the axle gently with your fingers. It should be smooth, with very little drag. Expect
    some drag- that shows the presence of good grease. An axle that spins with no resistance indicates
    too little or dried up grease.

    If you're mechanically inclined, rebuilding hubs is quite easy and requires minimal tools. I usually
    rebuild mine every year or two.

    Jeff