VRex meets Terra Cycles

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by The Shinefelds, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. Long story short, I ended up on a swb RANS VRex about 18 months ago after breaking my hand on my DF
    while attempting to evade a wayward left turning Toyota. Being a gearhead as many of us on the list
    are, I've upgraded bits and pieces of the VRex along the way. Last fall when the OEM flip it hinge
    gave up the ghost, I acquired a new Terra Cycle Glide Flex stem from Jude the Wheel Doctor. What an
    improvement in terms of reliability and smoothness. After installing the glide flex, the bars would
    not recline as far as with the original flip it. Not a problem per se, just an observation.

    In the continual quest for greater comfort, a couple of weeks ago I purchased a new Terra Cycle mast
    and 44 cm, 45 degree handle bars from Hostelle Shoppe. If you are not familiar with this set up,
    there is a regular df stem connecting the bars and the mast. This modular set up allows a huge
    degree of flexibility in terms of fit and positioning. Stem forward or back. Possibilities for
    different length and angles of stems and the handlebars rotate freely in the stem clamp. Bob Bryant
    raved about this a few years ago when reviewing the swb terra cycle and he was right. After
    experimenting with several iterations, I have the glide flex facing forward, the stem facing back
    and the bars rotated straight down. My knees clear the bars and levers sufficiently. Most
    importantly, I am more comfortable now than I could have imagined was possible previously. And, bike
    handling is improved too.

    I've noted two issues with this set up. The potentially serious issue is that the mast floats in the
    quick release clamp used to secure the mast to the glide flex stem. This requires some attention to
    be sure that the mast is completely seated while securing the qr clamp after adjusting mast height.
    This is not an item you would want to separate at speed. The second issue is that shims are required
    to secure the handlebars in the stem. Given a choice, I would prefer a properly matched handlebar
    and stem, not requiring shims for proper fit.

    Even so, on the basis of enhanced comfort and handling, I can wholeheartedly recommend this upgrade,
    at least for the swb VRex. Pat Franz has done a fine job of providing reasonable priced aftermarket
    options to enhance fit and comfort for recumbists.

    Jon Shinefeld Philadelphia, PA

    Tags:

  2. Hi Jon, Hope to see you and your V-REX soon. You post is what makes recumbents such fun machines.
    Personalization for comfort and utility or no compromise all out modification for speed. After over
    20 years of enjoyment/employment in the bicycling industry it was becoming boring DF after DF. Its
    fun again.
    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "The Shinefelds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Long story short, I ended up on a swb RANS VRex about 18 months ago after breaking my hand on my
    > DF while attempting to evade a wayward left turning Toyota. Being a gearhead as many of us on the
    > list are, I've upgraded
    bits
    > and pieces of the VRex along the way. Last fall when the OEM flip it
    hinge
    > gave up the ghost, I acquired a new Terra Cycle Glide Flex stem from Jude the Wheel Doctor. What
    > an improvement in terms of reliability and smoothness. After installing the glide flex, the bars
    > would not recline
    as
    > far as with the original flip it. Not a problem per se, just an observation.
    >
    > In the continual quest for greater comfort, a couple of weeks ago I purchased a new Terra Cycle
    > mast and 44 cm, 45 degree handle bars from Hostelle Shoppe. If you are not familiar with this set
    > up, there is a regular df stem connecting the bars and the mast. This modular set up allows a huge
    > degree of flexibility in terms of fit and positioning. Stem forward or back. Possibilities for
    > different length and angles of stems
    and
    > the handlebars rotate freely in the stem clamp. Bob Bryant raved about
    this
    > a few years ago when reviewing the swb terra cycle and he was right.
    After
    > experimenting with several iterations, I have the glide flex facing
    forward,
    > the stem facing back and the bars rotated straight down. My knees clear
    the
    > bars and levers sufficiently. Most importantly, I am more comfortable now than I could have
    > imagined was possible previously. And, bike handling is improved too.
    >
    > I've noted two issues with this set up. The potentially serious issue is that the mast floats in
    > the quick release clamp used to secure the mast to the glide flex stem. This requires some
    > attention to be sure that the
    mast
    > is completely seated while securing the qr clamp after adjusting mast height. This is not an item
    > you would want to separate at speed. The second issue is that shims are required to secure the
    > handlebars in the stem. Given a choice, I would prefer a properly matched handlebar and
    stem,
    > not requiring shims for proper fit.
    >
    > Even so, on the basis of enhanced comfort and handling, I can
    wholeheartedly
    > recommend this upgrade, at least for the swb VRex. Pat Franz has done a fine job of providing
    > reasonable priced aftermarket options to enhance fit and comfort for recumbists.
    >
    > Jon Shinefeld Philadelphia, PA

  3. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    I've got the Glide Flex on my P-38 and it makes mounting and dismounting so much easier. It is much
    better than Lightnings tilt. Ben Fox "The Shinefelds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Long story short, I ended up on a swb RANS VRex about 18 months ago after breaking my hand on my
    > DF while attempting to evade a wayward left turning Toyota. Being a gearhead as many of us on the
    > list are, I've upgraded
    bits
    > and pieces of the VRex along the way. Last fall when the OEM flip it
    hinge
    > gave up the ghost, I acquired a new Terra Cycle Glide Flex stem from Jude the Wheel Doctor. What
    > an improvement in terms of reliability and smoothness. After installing the glide flex, the bars
    > would not recline
    as
    > far as with the original flip it. Not a problem per se, just an observation.
    >
    > In the continual quest for greater comfort, a couple of weeks ago I purchased a new Terra Cycle
    > mast and 44 cm, 45 degree handle bars from Hostelle Shoppe. If you are not familiar with this set
    > up, there is a regular df stem connecting the bars and the mast. This modular set up allows a huge
    > degree of flexibility in terms of fit and positioning. Stem forward or back. Possibilities for
    > different length and angles of stems
    and
    > the handlebars rotate freely in the stem clamp. Bob Bryant raved about
    this
    > a few years ago when reviewing the swb terra cycle and he was right.
    After
    > experimenting with several iterations, I have the glide flex facing
    forward,
    > the stem facing back and the bars rotated straight down. My knees clear
    the
    > bars and levers sufficiently. Most importantly, I am more comfortable now than I could have
    > imagined was possible previously. And, bike handling is improved too.
    >
    > I've noted two issues with this set up. The potentially serious issue is that the mast floats in
    > the quick release clamp used to secure the mast to the glide flex stem. This requires some
    > attention to be sure that the
    mast
    > is completely seated while securing the qr clamp after adjusting mast height. This is not an item
    > you would want to separate at speed. The second issue is that shims are required to secure the
    > handlebars in the stem. Given a choice, I would prefer a properly matched handlebar and
    stem,
    > not requiring shims for proper fit.
    >
    > Even so, on the basis of enhanced comfort and handling, I can
    wholeheartedly
    > recommend this upgrade, at least for the swb VRex. Pat Franz has done a fine job of providing
    > reasonable priced aftermarket options to enhance fit and comfort for recumbists.
    >
    > Jon Shinefeld Philadelphia, PA

  4. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "The Shinefelds" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Even so, on the basis of enhanced comfort and handling, I can wholeheartedly recommend this
    > upgrade, at least for the swb VRex. Pat Franz has done a fine job of providing reasonable priced
    > aftermarket options to enhance fit and comfort for recumbists.
    >
    > Jon Shinefeld Philadelphia, PA

    Jon, I hope you send this to Pat at TerraCycle. He'll enjoy hearing positive feedback- and he'll
    take your concerns seriously.

    Jeff

  5. great idea - I'll send it off this evenign. Jon "Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "The Shinefelds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Even so, on the basis of enhanced comfort and handling, I can
    wholeheartedly
    > > recommend this upgrade, at least for the swb VRex. Pat Franz has done a fine job of providing
    > > reasonable priced aftermarket options to enhance
    fit
    > > and comfort for recumbists.
    > >
    > > Jon Shinefeld Philadelphia, PA
    >
    > Jon, I hope you send this to Pat at TerraCycle. He'll enjoy hearing positive feedback- and he'll
    > take your concerns seriously.
    >
    > Jeff

  6. Nick Keenan

    Nick Keenan Guest

    "The Shinefelds" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >Last fall when the OEM flip it hinge gave up the ghost, I acquired a new Terra Cycle Glide Flex
    >stem from Jude the Wheel Doctor.

    Could you elaborate on this a little bit -- particularly how the flip-it failed. As I noted in
    another thread, I recently had a flip-it fail on a RANS Vivo. I'm curious about your experience.

    Thanks, Nick Keenan

  7. Gary

    Gary Guest

    > Could you elaborate on this a little bit -- particularly how the flip-it failed. As I noted in
    > another thread, I recently had a flip-it fail on a RANS Vivo. I'm curious about your experience.
    >
    > Thanks, Nick Keenan

    Go to Bent Rider Online http://www.bentrideronline.com/ and select Message Board. Then go to General
    Discussion and select "need help-terrible problem with Vision steering!"

    I recently switched to OSS, using the new Glide-Flex and I'm really pleased and impressed with the
    quality and comfort of it. But I'm also a little "gun shy" now though, after reading this stuff.

    Both companies seem to be working on a solution so I would think they'll get things straightened out
    soon. I'm not real familiar with TerraCycle but have read good things about them. I AM familiar with
    Vision and they've ALWAYS taken care of any of my concerns promptly and in a positive way.

    Gary

  8. Gary

    Gary Guest

    > Could you elaborate on this a little bit -- particularly how the flip-it failed. As I noted in
    > another thread, I recently had a flip-it fail on a RANS Vivo. I'm curious about your experience.
    >
    > Thanks, Nick Keenan

    Nick, I replied to this thread but changed the Subject to "Stem Failure". Look under that subject.
    There's also a reply under "Failed Flip-it" and there must be some more as the original thread shows
    12 replies and there only 6 listed here. Gary