VRex meets Terra Cycles

The Shinefelds

Guest
Long story short, I ended up on a swb RANS VRex about 18 months ago after breaking my hand on my DF
while attempting to evade a wayward left turning Toyota. Being a gearhead as many of us on the list
are, I've upgraded bits and pieces of the VRex along the way. Last fall when the OEM flip it hinge
gave up the ghost, I acquired a new Terra Cycle Glide Flex stem from Jude the Wheel Doctor. What an
improvement in terms of reliability and smoothness. After installing the glide flex, the bars would
not recline as far as with the original flip it. Not a problem per se, just an observation.

In the continual quest for greater comfort, a couple of weeks ago I purchased a new Terra Cycle mast
and 44 cm, 45 degree handle bars from Hostelle Shoppe. If you are not familiar with this set up,
there is a regular df stem connecting the bars and the mast. This modular set up allows a huge
degree of flexibility in terms of fit and positioning. Stem forward or back. Possibilities for
different length and angles of stems and the handlebars rotate freely in the stem clamp. Bob Bryant
raved about this a few years ago when reviewing the swb terra cycle and he was right. After
experimenting with several iterations, I have the glide flex facing forward, the stem facing back
and the bars rotated straight down. My knees clear the bars and levers sufficiently. Most
importantly, I am more comfortable now than I could have imagined was possible previously. And, bike
handling is improved too.

I've noted two issues with this set up. The potentially serious issue is that the mast floats in the
quick release clamp used to secure the mast to the glide flex stem. This requires some attention to
be sure that the mast is completely seated while securing the qr clamp after adjusting mast height.
This is not an item you would want to separate at speed. The second issue is that shims are required
to secure the handlebars in the stem. Given a choice, I would prefer a properly matched handlebar
and stem, not requiring shims for proper fit.

Even so, on the basis of enhanced comfort and handling, I can wholeheartedly recommend this upgrade,
at least for the swb VRex. Pat Franz has done a fine job of providing reasonable priced aftermarket
options to enhance fit and comfort for recumbists.

Jon Shinefeld Philadelphia, PA

Hi Jon, Hope to see you and your V-REX soon. You post is what makes recumbents such fun machines.
Personalization for comfort and utility or no compromise all out modification for speed. After over
20 years of enjoyment/employment in the bicycling industry it was becoming boring DF after DF. Its
fun again.
Inc 1-800-586-6645 "The Shinefelds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Long story short, I ended up on a swb RANS VRex about 18 months ago after breaking my hand on my
> DF while attempting to evade a wayward left turning Toyota. Being a gearhead as many of us on the
> list are, I've upgraded
bits
> and pieces of the VRex along the way. Last fall when the OEM flip it
hinge
> gave up the ghost, I acquired a new Terra Cycle Glide Flex stem from Jude the Wheel Doctor. What
> an improvement in terms of reliability and smoothness. After installing the glide flex, the bars
> would not recline
as
> far as with the original flip it. Not a problem per se, just an observation.
>
> In the continual quest for greater comfort, a couple of weeks ago I purchased a new Terra Cycle
> mast and 44 cm, 45 degree handle bars from Hostelle Shoppe. If you are not familiar with this set
> up, there is a regular df stem connecting the bars and the mast. This modular set up allows a huge
> degree of flexibility in terms of fit and positioning. Stem forward or back. Possibilities for
> different length and angles of stems
and
> the handlebars rotate freely in the stem clamp. Bob Bryant raved about
this
> a few years ago when reviewing the swb terra cycle and he was right.
After
> experimenting with several iterations, I have the glide flex facing
forward,
> the stem facing back and the bars rotated straight down. My knees clear
the
> bars and levers sufficiently. Most importantly, I am more comfortable now than I could have
> imagined was possible previously. And, bike handling is improved too.
>
> I've noted two issues with this set up. The potentially serious issue is that the mast floats in
> the quick release clamp used to secure the mast to the glide flex stem. This requires some
> attention to be sure that the
mast
> is completely seated while securing the qr clamp after adjusting mast height. This is not an item
> you would want to separate at speed. The second issue is that shims are required to secure the
> handlebars in the stem. Given a choice, I would prefer a properly matched handlebar and
stem,
> not requiring shims for proper fit.
>
> Even so, on the basis of enhanced comfort and handling, I can
wholeheartedly
> recommend this upgrade, at least for the swb VRex. Pat Franz has done a fine job of providing
> reasonable priced aftermarket options to enhance fit and comfort for recumbists.
>
> Jon Shinefeld Philadelphia, PA

I've got the Glide Flex on my P-38 and it makes mounting and dismounting so much easier. It is much
better than Lightnings tilt. Ben Fox "The Shinefelds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> handlebars in the stem. Given a choice, I would prefer a properly matched handlebar and
stem,
> not requiring shims for proper fit.
>
> Even so, on the basis of enhanced comfort and handling, I can
wholeheartedly
> recommend this upgrade, at least for the swb VRex. Pat Franz has done a fine job of providing
> reasonable priced aftermarket options to enhance fit and comfort for recumbists.
>
> Jon Shinefeld Philadelphia, PA

"The Shinefelds" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Even so, on the basis of enhanced comfort and handling, I can wholeheartedly recommend this
> upgrade, at least for the swb VRex. Pat Franz has done a fine job of providing reasonable priced
> aftermarket options to enhance fit and comfort for recumbists.

Jon, I hope you send this to Pat at TerraCycle. He'll enjoy hearing positive feedback- and he'll
take your concerns seriously.

Jeff

great idea - I'll send it off this evenign. Jon "Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "The Shinefelds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > Even so, on the basis of enhanced comfort and handling, I can
wholeheartedly
> > recommend this upgrade, at least for the swb VRex. Pat Franz has done a fine job of providing
> > reasonable priced aftermarket options to enhance
fit
> > and comfort for recumbists.
> >
> > Jon Shinefeld Philadelphia, PA
>
> Jon, I hope you send this to Pat at TerraCycle. He'll enjoy hearing positive feedback- and he'll
> take your concerns seriously.
>
> Jeff

"The Shinefelds" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>Last fall when the OEM flip it hinge gave up the ghost, I acquired a new Terra Cycle Glide Flex
>stem from Jude the Wheel Doctor.

Could you elaborate on this a little bit -- particularly how the flip-it failed. As I noted in
another thread, I recently had a flip-it fail on a RANS Vivo. I'm curious about your experience.

Thanks, Nick Keenan

> Could you elaborate on this a little bit -- particularly how the flip-it failed. As I noted in
> another thread, I recently had a flip-it fail on a RANS Vivo. I'm curious about your experience.
>
> Thanks, Nick Keenan

Go to Bent Rider Online http://www.bentrideronline.com/ and select Message Board. Then go to General
Discussion and select "need help-terrible problem with Vision steering!"

I recently switched to OSS, using the new Glide-Flex and I'm really pleased and impressed with the
quality and comfort of it. But I'm also a little "gun shy" now though, after reading this stuff.

Both companies seem to be working on a solution so I would think they'll get things straightened out
soon. I'm not real familiar with TerraCycle but have read good things about them. I AM familiar with
Vision and they've ALWAYS taken care of any of my concerns promptly and in a positive way.

Gary

> Could you elaborate on this a little bit -- particularly how the flip-it failed. As I noted in
> another thread, I recently had a flip-it fail on a RANS Vivo. I'm curious about your experience.
>
> Thanks, Nick Keenan

Nick, I replied to this thread but changed the Subject to "Stem Failure". Look under that subject.
There's also a reply under "Failed Flip-it" and there must be some more as the original thread shows
12 replies and there only 6 listed here. Gary