Vuelta 2 : Cipo DNS

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bart, Sep 7, 2003.

  1. Bart

    Bart Guest

    way too early to be remotely courteous... but still the organizers get what they should have known.

    Tags:

  2. "Bart" <[email protected]> writes:

    > way too early to be remotely courteous... but still the organizers get what they should
    > have known.

    Not a very auspicious start to the race we'd hoped would close out the Grands Tours with panache.

    Saeco's Ivan Quaranta DNF on a short Stage 1

    And Cipo showing the organizers the finger and disappearing in a cloud of dust towards the
    aeroport early this morning shouting something at the organizers that sounded very much like "Up
    yer Kilt, Jock"

    --
    le vent a Dos

    Davey Crockett check #cycling on irc.freenode.net for live Vuelta Chat

  3. Bart wrote:

    > way too early to be remotely courteous... but still the organizers get what they should
    > have known.

    From this we can pretty much assume Cipo is done with any future TdF's as well. And in hindsight
    Jean-Marie Leblanc made the right choice, despite Mario's pleading.

    Care to speculate how DV sponsors will regard this and his 2 yr contract?

  4. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Messages:
    2,284
    Directors should have known better than to try manipulating Cipo, should have seen this coming.

    I remember Hinault pulling out of one-day races after a couple hundred meters protesting his being forced to ride against his will - that would have been an even bigger FU to the Vuelta directors - Mario rolls off the line and rides right up to his limo headed for the airport - all in front of fans, cameras, and officials.

    The guy has his bad boy image act down perfectly - he'll continue to be a big draw. He may even have had DV's blessing on the whole idea.

  5. Bart

    Bart Guest

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote >
    > Care to speculate how DV sponsors will regard this and his 2 yr contract?

    His current contract says he's off duty from 31 July. So I guess he earned extras for this
    weekend trip.

  6. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > way too early to be remotely courteous... but still the organizers get what they should
    > have known.

    Courteous?

    More like, "Oh yeah?"

  7. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "DiabloScott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Richard Adams wrote:
    > > Bart wrote:
    > > > way too early to be remotely courteous... but still the organizers
    get
    > > > what they should have known.
    > > >

    > > From this we can pretty much assume Cipo is done with any future
    TdF's
    > > as well. And in hindsight Jean-Marie Leblanc made the right choice, despite Mario's pleading.
    > > Care to speculate how DV sponsors will regard this and his 2 yr contract?
    >

    > Directors should have known better than to try manipulating Cipo, should have seen this coming.
    >
    > I remember Hinault pulling out of one-day races after a couple hundred meters protesting his being
    > forced to ride against his will - that would have been an even bigger FU to the Vuelta directors -
    > Mario rolls off the line and rides right up to his limo headed for the airport - all in front of
    > fans, cameras, and officials.
    >
    > The guy has his bad boy image act down perfectly - he'll continue to be a big draw. He may even
    > have had DV's blessing on the whole idea.

    Of course he has their blerssing -- w/o him DV would not be in the Show.

  8. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Bart wrote:
    >
    > > way too early to be remotely courteous... but still the organizers get what they should have
    > > known.
    > >

    > From this we can pretty much assume Cipo is done with any future TdF's as well. And in hindsight
    > Jean-Marie Leblanc made the right choice, despite Mario's pleading.
    >
    > Care to speculate how DV sponsors will regard this and his 2 yr contract?

    I am sure they approved of the plan to allow the team to get it. The only way the team was hurt was
    that they are down to 8 riders, but they Vuelta essentially told them it was 8 plus Cipo or nothing.
    That is what they got.

  9. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    "Cipollini rode poorly during the stage, having to be pushed by teammates on several occasions"

    --from Velonews.

    Jiyang Chen

  10. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "David N. Welton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Worth noting in all this is that Scarponi appears to be riding
    pretty
    > well at the moment:
    >
    > http://www.gazzetta.it/primi_piani/2003/pp_1.0.143342103.shtml
    >
    > whereas, according to the article, a lot of riders got schooled big
    time:

    > Julich a 8'02", Laiseka a 11'14" come Zulle, Leipheimer a 12'58" come Pecharroman.

    I think that this stage gives a good hint of why Tyler might have left CSC. Aside from the money,
    which is no laughing matter of course, CSC and Reiss appear to be building a Tour super-team alla La
    Vie Clare.

    How would you like to have to hold back because the race was being led by your teammate?

  11. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    Jiyang Chen wrote:

    > "Cipollini rode poorly during the stage, having to be pushed by teammates on several occasions"

    which pretty much says it all.

  12. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "DiabloScott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Richard Adams wrote:
    > get
    > > > >

    > > > From this we can pretty much assume Cipo is done with any future TdF's as well. And in
    > > > hindsight Jean-Marie Leblanc made the right choice, despite Mario's pleading. Care to
    > > > speculate how DV sponsors will regard this and his 2 yr contract?
    > > >
    > > Directors should have known better than to try manipulating Cipo, should have seen this coming.
    > >
    > > I remember Hinault pulling out of one-day races after a couple hundred meters protesting his
    > > being forced to ride against his will - that would have been an even bigger FU to the Vuelta
    > > directors - Mario rolls off the line and rides right up to his limo headed for the airport - all
    > > in front of fans, cameras, and officials.
    > >
    > > The guy has his bad boy image act down perfectly - he'll continue to be a big draw. He may even
    > > have had DV's blessing on the whole idea.
    >
    > Of course he has their blerssing -- w/o him DV would not be in the Show.

    And Scarponi, Lombardi, etc. would not have been able to show off the fruits of their extensive
    training. Cipo's move was a perfectly elegant slap in a perfectly stupid organizer's face, and good
    on him. He also didn't wear the World Champion's jersey during the TTT yesterday, which should have
    been the tip-off that he was there only to seal his team into the race, and perhaps to have a nice
    weekend ride to end his season.

    -Sonarrat.

  13. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    > Of course he has their blerssing -- w/o him DV would not be in the Show.

    hard to believe since they will not likely get an invite in the future and LeBlanc will never invite
    them to Le Tour now... tha't 2 majors that he's probbaly cost them for the duration of his
    contract... Poor very poor showing. I mean come on You're apro cyclist WTF do you expect them to pay
    you for, A couple of early season one days and what 7 staes of the giro? wasyted cash in mty book.
    thank god Lombardi is no slouch and now perhaps the other talent on that team can show through.

  14. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Fred Marx
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Jiyang Chen wrote:
    >
    > > "Cipollini rode poorly during the stage, having to be pushed by teammates on several occasions"
    > >

    > which pretty much says it all.

    Maybe not. The Vuelta organizer said they told DV 48 hours before the race that they could race
    without Cipo when the organizers found out Cipo hadn't trained since June 30.

    -WG

  15. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > And Scarponi, Lombardi, etc. would not have been able to show off the fruits
    of
    > their extensive training. Cipo's move was a perfectly elegant slap in a perfectly stupid
    > organizer's face, and good on him. He also didn't wear the World Champion's jersey during the TTT
    > yesterday, which should have been the tip-off that he was there only to seal his team into the
    > race, and perhaps to have a nice weekend ride to end his season.

    Also, the remainder of the Domina Vacanze team acquitted itself extremely well today, with a
    whopping four zebra riders in the lead group 14-15 seconds back, matching iBanesto, Kelme and ONCE.

    -Sonarrat.

  16. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    I hope this guy can confirm all the good things we've seen from him so far, next year.

  17. Sonarrat wrote:
    >>their extensive training. Cipo's move was a perfectly elegant slap in a perfectly stupid
    >>organizer's face, and good on him. He also didn't wear the World Champion's jersey during the TTT
    >>yesterday, which should have been the tip-off that he was there only to seal his team into the
    >>race, and perhaps to have a nice weekend ride to end his season.

    Well, it was a time trial, not a "road stage". It used to be the convention that the TT champion
    could only wear his jersey during pure time trials, not time trial stages. But that was changed in,
    I believe, 1996. This implies the road champion won't wear his jersey on these stages.

    Dan

  18. DiabloScott wrote:
    > Richard Adams wrote:
    > > Bart wrote:
    > > > way too early to be remotely courteous... but still the organizers get what they should have
    > > > known.
    > > >

    > > From this we can pretty much assume Cipo is done with any future TdF's as well. And in
    > > hindsight Jean-Marie Leblanc made the right choice, despite Mario's pleading. Care to
    > > speculate how DV sponsors will regard this and his 2 yr contract?
    >

    > Directors should have known better than to try manipulating Cipo, should have seen this coming.
    >
    > I remember Hinault pulling out of one-day races after a couple hundred meters protesting his being
    > forced to ride against his will - that would have been an even bigger FU to the Vuelta directors -
    > Mario rolls off the line and rides right up to his limo headed for the airport - all in front of
    > fans, cameras, and officials.
    >
    > The guy has his bad boy image act down perfectly - he'll continue to be a big draw. He may even
    > have had DV's blessing on the whole idea.

    If DV does well in the Veulta, however, it could be a tough call to block their invitation next
    year. 4 riders in the top 30 today, Miguel Martin 4th, isn't shabby.