Vuelta Espana - 2005

About to watch highlights on ES1 as was out riding all day.
But i heard Pereiro lost 8 mins? WTH? oh well there goes my podium.
Still , this race usually has big swings in the mountains.Far more topsy-turvey than the other 2 tours.

Roadrash Dunc said:
About to watch highlights on ES1 as was out riding all day.
But i heard Pereiro lost 8 mins? WTH? oh well there goes my podium.
Still , this race usually has big swings in the mountains.Far more topsy-turvey than the other 2 tours.

Pereiro and Klier on a descent of the last 2nd cat climb, went over the crash barrier at the side of the road.
Klier's jersey was ripped off his back.
The other rider was a Phonak (presumably Pereiro) : Dave Harmon had difficulty identifying him !

limerickman said:
Pereiro and Klier on a descent of the last 2nd cat climb, went over the crash barrier at the side of the road.
Klier's jersey was ripped off his back.
The other rider was a Phonak (presumably Pereiro) : Dave Harmon had difficulty identifying him !
Watching it now! Ol' Dave only has his 6 inch montior to distinguish riders from he keeps reminding us - cant blame him for not being 100% sure.
Riders should have names on their backs/bums like other sportsmen , much more sensible than numbers!
I was deciding which 2 Phonak riders to have of the big 3 in my fantasy team , and i bloody well left out Botero figuring his season had peaked in June.Grrrr.

Roadrash Dunc said:
Watching it now! Ol' Dave only has his 6 inch montior to distinguish riders from he keeps reminding us - cant blame him for not being 100% sure.
Riders should have names on their backs/bums like other sportsmen , much more sensible than numbers!
I was deciding which 2 Phonak riders to have of the big 3 in my fantasy team , and i bloody well left out Botero figuring his season had peaked in June.Grrrr.

harmon said that Botero is wearing No 1 for Phonak and not Landis.

I agree with you - names on jerseys would make it easier to identify them.
Dimos says it was Guiterrez who went over the side with Klier.

It looked like Pereiro to me - but what do I know ?

Ace's Stage 2 fall caused him over 4 minutes. This is putting added pressure on Danielson to contest for the GC, because Beltran will lose too much time in the two ITTs to come. Danielson is in a bad position, having so much pressure for his first Vuelta and his only second Grand Tour (with an abandonment of the Giro having been his first).

Not good news for DC. :(

I'm mentioning Ace's involvement in the crash, because that's the most important rider involved in the crash and not the Phonaks. :p

limerickman said:
harmon said that Botero is wearing No 1 for Phonak and not Landis.

I agree with you - names on jerseys would make it easier to identify them.
Dimos says it was Guiterrez who went over the side with Klier.

It looked like Pereiro to me - but what do I know ?
Yes, Botero has number 11. It`s not because he`s a team leader, but because riders are sorted alphabetically.

It was Gutierez..the same writes on cyclingnews.com. But he really looked like Pereiro!:):confused:

Virenque said:
Yes, Botero has number 11. It`s not because he`s a team leader, but because riders are sorted alphabetically.

It was Gutierez..the same writes on cyclingnews.com. But he really looked like Pereiro!:):confused:

Thanks for the update - as I say Eurosport only carried very very limited highlights yesterday and the commentator was reduced to looking at a 6" monitor when he was talking.

So even without crashing Pereiro lost a lot of time.
This Vuelta has been very interesting so far - and we've only had two stages (one prologue and stage 1).

Stage 3 Cordoba-Puertollano, 153.3 km :

Eurosport are saying that the temperature on this stage is 40 degrees celsius !

The bunch are pedalling along - understand able in that heat.

limerickman said:
Stage 3 Cordoba-Puertollano, 153.3 km :

Eurosport are saying that the temperature on this stage is 40 degrees celsius !

The bunch are pedalling along - understand able in that heat.
Well, that went according to the script.

Looks like Mcgee really wants to keep that jersey for a few more days.

Hehe......my Menchov mark was spot on and he NEEDS to get on all youre lists........top 3 he can do!

BUT the team..........ah well he should call delli and ask him how to ride a GT without REAL support......

velofan said:
LMAO! Really going out on a limb there MJtje! :D

MJtje said:
Hehe......my Menchov mark was spot on and he NEEDS to get on all youre lists........top 3 he can do!

BUT the team..........ah well he should call delli and ask him how to ride a GT without REAL support......

Petacchi is not a bad bet for the world title in Madrid : the course looks good.

But, But.
The Italian team rarely delivers when it comes to the world r/race and that could be his (and other Italian contenders) undoing.

I thought the cat 2 mountain on stage two was a great idea and one which the Giro followed.... it opened the race up nice and early and we got some good viewing.... the TDF has a lot to learn from the other two majors tours... they know how to spice up a race !

musette said:
Ace's Stage 2 fall caused him over 4 minutes. This is putting added pressure on Danielson to contest for the GC, because Beltran will lose too much time in the two ITTs to come. Danielson is in a bad position, having so much pressure for his first Vuelta and his only second Grand Tour (with an abandonment of the Giro having been his first).

Not good news for DC. :(

Graham Watson laments how Ace's fall hurt the team:

"It was only this morning that you realised how Azevedo's crash yesterday hurt the team. The riders normally stay hidden on their big blue and grey bus, only stepping out after the intense team-talk a few minutes before the start. With Azevedo losing almost four minutes, we saw instead most of the team chatting with their mates in the pre-race village, sipping espressos and reading the Spanish newspapers - this was one big sign that they have lost their best bet at winning a third major tour in one season. Still, Tom Danielson has been given the biggest chance of his career now, and we must wait and see and hope that the American rises to the challenge... " :(

Pre-Ace crash, there was a small possibility that Ace could win the GC -- pretty small possibility, but at least a possibility. :(

musette said:
The riders normally stay hidden on their big blue and grey bus, only stepping out after the intense team-talk a few minutes before the start.
That is an interesting euphamism given recent allegations/revelations.