Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

W I D E R A N G E gears report

Started by Doug Goncz · · Last activity · 1 post · 531 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 November 2003
Last activity
19 November 2003
Original author
Doug Goncz
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
531
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Performance set me up with gearing today.

    53 / 39 / 24 front, 11 - 34 rear

    This is for the ultracapacitor bike, so I can pedal down hill, storing energy through regenerative
    overdrive for uphill use. Yes, I did the math. It will work, and you'll be less tired at the end of
    your ride. As for coming in first in a race, I was not even looking for that.

    We're using an R440 (R4400?) front derailer, which Captain Bike says is the only mountain bike
    compatible road derailer. The derailer will work with my straight handlebars and Alivio integrated
    brake/shifter set. I've got a weird "dropped" straight bar setup. My back is very limber. Maybe the
    drop is why the steering is so twitchy. Maybe the new fork will change that. I know the weight of
    cargo in the new front baskets will smooth it out a lot.

    What does one call fat tires, fenders, straight bars, and wide range together? A mountain
    touring bike?

    The cargo arrangement would indicate that: insulated rack trunk and two Wald folding baskets, with
    two more coming. I can already carry 4 gallons of milk, or two toaster ovens. 30-40 pounds of just
    about any [censored].

    Yours,

    Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

    1100 original posts at: groups.google.comgroups

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.