Wacky numbers on HR monitor

Both of my HR monitors (a Polar CR 100 and a Suunto X3) frequently
deliver false maximum rate numbers in the low to middle 200s. The
Polar manual concedes the possibilty of erratic or extremely high
readings, attributing them to interference from high voltage power
lines, traffic lights, and even car motors. It seems to me, however,
that the high numbers register during fast descents, and that the
monitor may actually be measuring the rate at which my jersey flaps in
the wind. By the way, I have checked my true heart rate and it does
not correspond to the readings on the monitor. Any comments?

Rodger

My suunto x3 works fine and gives me rational readings. It picks up
signal within 1-2 mins of me putting on the chest belt, and reports
things like my cardivascular drift (constant cadence) very well.

The only problem I've had with it so far is it going off very
occasionally, and i relate this problem either due to the chest belt
transmission slipping down or interference of some sort. I think you'll
do fine by travelling less on roads with busy traffic and too many over
head lines. But if this problem persists, and if you are sure that you
are operating the watch within its published specifications, then I
strongly suggest you report this problem.

My opinion is that you'll always have these problems at some point or
another in your training with any particular model. Its important to
know what you're getting a monitor for in the first place, and
understanding the instruction manual. I hear that for most polar
models, studying the instructions and getting a grip of the numerous
functions is a task. Personally, I dont believe in spending 300+
dollars for a heart rate monitor, because I really dont take life that
seriously. But buying a heart rate monitor for sports purposes rather
than medical should come with a toleration for occasional false
reading. If one has a decent knowedge of the gadgetry behind the watch,
I think it'l be easy to find out why this happens. Otherwise, keep
experimenting until you find out what causes this.

some things u need to check :

1. are u using a chest strap which gives continuous reading?
2. are the transmitting electrodes portion clean and moistened well
before usage?
3. is your cycling jersey conducting static electricity?
4. what about the vehicles you ride with. mostly this is not a problem,
but if they are having junk electricals onboard, this might be a
potential cause for interference.
5. dont expect too accurate readings while underneath electrical lines.
voltages are often high (so as to transmit lesser current) on the
lines.

thx
-b.d

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Both of my HR monitors (a Polar CR 100 and a Suunto X3) frequently
> deliver false maximum rate numbers in the low to middle 200s. The
> Polar manual concedes the possibilty of erratic or extremely high
> readings, attributing them to interference from high voltage power
> lines, traffic lights, and even car motors. It seems to me, however,
> that the high numbers register during fast descents, and that the
> monitor may actually be measuring the rate at which my jersey flaps in
> the wind. By the way, I have checked my true heart rate and it does
> not correspond to the readings on the monitor. Any comments?
>
> Rodger

Weak batteries can cause this.

I had an cheapo monitor a few years ago. It's signal would ALWAYS get wacky
in the same spot about a mile of my home. Never could figure what caused it,
but obviously it was some sort of interference. Problem went away with a
new/better monitor.

Do you have riding buddies with HRMs? Do they have the same problem in the
same areas?

yeah i forgot to mention batteries. check that too!

Bestest Handsander wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Both of my HR monitors (a Polar CR 100 and a Suunto X3) frequently
> > deliver false maximum rate numbers in the low to middle 200s. The
> > Polar manual concedes the possibilty of erratic or extremely high
> > readings, attributing them to interference from high voltage power
> > lines, traffic lights, and even car motors. It seems to me, however,
> > that the high numbers register during fast descents, and that the
> > monitor may actually be measuring the rate at which my jersey flaps in
> > the wind. By the way, I have checked my true heart rate and it does
> > not correspond to the readings on the monitor. Any comments?
> >
> > Rodger

> Weak batteries can cause this.
>
> I had an cheapo monitor a few years ago. It's signal would ALWAYS get wacky
> in the same spot about a mile of my home. Never could figure what caused it,
> but obviously it was some sort of interference. Problem went away with a
> new/better monitor.
>
> Do you have riding buddies with HRMs? Do they have the same problem in the
> same areas?

Thanks to all who offered comments. I replaced batteries, of course,
without effect on the problem. The suggestion about static electricity
in the jersey is intriguing, since the phenomenon seems to occur during
fast descents, when the wiind is whipping the fabric. The friction of
fabric on fabric, or even of wind on fabric, could be causing static
electricity to build. I am not ready to heap funds into newer and
better heart rate monitors because my interest is academic, not
serious.

Rodger

[email protected] wrote:
> Thanks to all who offered comments. I replaced batteries, of course,
> without effect on the problem. The suggestion about static electricity
> in the jersey is intriguing, since the phenomenon seems to occur during
> fast descents, when the wiind is whipping the fabric. The friction of
> fabric on fabric, or even of wind on fabric, could be causing static
> electricity to build. I am not ready to heap funds into newer and
> better heart rate monitors because my interest is academic, not
> serious.
>
> Rodger

Do you have a wireless speedometer? It might be picking up that signal
too.