Wacky wheel

Squid-In-Traini

Guest
I built a wheel for fun today using a 32-hole Deore hub and Weinmann rim and lacing 8 no-name SS
spokes 2x on the drive side and 4 spokes radial on the non-drive side. Does this particular pattern
have a name, sorta like crow's foot, etc. I did it haphazardly, and since the NDS is radial, the
spokes on that side are too long (yes, one of them is very crooked), so it has 0 tension in those
and this wheel is unrideable right now, but I think I'll cut the spokes to length and see if I can
use them then.

Picture here: http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/wacky.jpg

I remember Rolf or some other company lacing one of their high-end road wheels in this fashion (2
drive-side with 1 NDS between them). Anyone remember?

Yes, the wheel really does have 4 or 5 flat spots from me riding in the dark and not realizing that
I was about to hit a curb. Hard.

Yes, I will ride the wheel, albeit without rear brakes ;) The rim is a $2 singlewall that was used
with disc brakes for a long time, and I never bothered to true it because I didn't need to. It just
got worse and worse and I replaced the wheelset.

I think I'm going to make a bet with my riding buddies as to how long the rim will last.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Squid-in-Training Phil wrote:

> I built a wheel for fun today using a 32-hole Deore hub and Weinmann rim and lacing 8 no-name SS
> spokes 2x on the drive side and 4 spokes radial on the non-drive side. Does this particular
> pattern have a name, sorta like crow's foot, etc. I did it haphazardly, and since the NDS is
> radial, the spokes on that side are too long (yes, one of them is very crooked), so it has 0
> tension in those and this wheel is unrideable right now, but I think I'll cut the spokes to length
> and see if I can use them then.
>
> Picture here: http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/wacky.jpg
>
> I remember Rolf or some other company lacing one of their high-end road wheels in this fashion (2
> drive-side with 1 NDS between them). Anyone remember?
>
> Yes, the wheel really does have 4 or 5 flat spots from me riding in the dark and not realizing
> that I was about to hit a curb. Hard.
>
> Yes, I will ride the wheel, albeit without rear brakes ;) The rim is a $2 singlewall that was used
> with disc brakes for a long time, and I never bothered to true it because I didn't need to. It
> just got worse and worse and I replaced the wheelset.
>
> I think I'm going to make a bet with my riding buddies as to how long the rim will last.

I hope you make a lot of money on that bet, because I can't see any other reason for you to
deliberately put yourself at risk by riding on this thing.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber

> I hope you make a lot of money on that bet, because I can't see any other reason for you to
> deliberately put yourself at risk by riding on this thing.

I'm a college student. Therefore, I must be young and stupid. This is just a small part of realizing
my dreams! Go hucking fools!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Squid-in-Training Phil wrote:

>> I hope you make a lot of money on that bet, because I can't see any other reason for you to
>> deliberately put yourself at risk by riding on this thing.
>
> I'm a college student. Therefore, I must be young and stupid. This is just a small part of
> realizing my dreams! Go hucking fools!

Okay.

Let us know if you get past your driveway.

--

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 00:20:26 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> may have said:

>I built a wheel for fun today using a 32-hole Deore hub and Weinmann rim and lacing 8 no-name SS
>spokes 2x on the drive side and 4 spokes radial on the non-drive side. Does this particular pattern
>have a name, sorta like crow's foot, etc. I did it haphazardly, and since the NDS is radial, the
>spokes on that side are too long (yes, one of them is very crooked), so it has 0 tension in those
>and this wheel is unrideable right now, but I think I'll cut the spokes to length and see if I can
>use them then.
>
>Picture here: http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/wacky.jpg

Looks like a pretzel kit to me. Some additional sculpting required, which will likely occur when
least expected.

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 19:30:29 -0700, Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> may have said:

>Squid-in-Training Phil wrote:
>
>>> I hope you make a lot of money on that bet, because I can't see any other reason for you to
>>> deliberately put yourself at risk by riding on this thing.
>>
>> I'm a college student. Therefore, I must be young and stupid. This is just a small part of
>> realizing my dreams! Go hucking fools!
>
>Okay.
>
>Let us know if you get past your driveway.

To really do it justice, the spokes need to be chromed, and the wheel needs a tirefly.

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

>I built a wheel for fun today using a 32-hole Deore hub and Weinmann rim and lacing 8 no-name SS
>spokes 2x on the drive side and 4 spokes radial on the non-drive side. Does this particular pattern
>have a name, sorta like crow's foot, etc.

Widow-maker

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 04:15:39 GMT, Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
> To really do it justice, the spokes need to be chromed, and the wheel needs a tirefly.

Chrome the tire! Chrome the tire!

CHROME THE TIRE!

--
Rick "Chrome" Onanian

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip>

> Picture here: http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/wacky.jpg
>
> I remember Rolf or some other company lacing one of their high-end road wheels in this fashion (2
> drive-side with 1 NDS between them). Anyone remember?

Hi-E used to produce wheels with 28 drive side and 14 non-drive side or 24 DS/12 NDS spokes. They
built the hubs and rims, too, so they could do weird stuff like this. Your wheel looks like it'll
square itself rather quickly.

Jeff

>I think I'm going to make a bet with my riding buddies as to how long the rim will last.
>--
>Phil, Squid-in-Training

Not too long, I would think. regular "full spoked" rims aren't ment to handle unsupported stresses
over such a large section!

> could do weird stuff like this. Your wheel looks like it'll square itself rather quickly.

It's already begun to do that, and I haven't ridden it yet. ;)

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Cool looking wheel, Phil! Good job being creative.

Good decision to have the right flange spokes pulling "against" eachother through the metal. If they
were pulling "apart" I'd think the flange might be more likely to split.

Definitely cut the spokes to length so you can get some tension on them.

Also, consider moving the non-drive side spokes 45 degrees from where they are now (so the rim has
shorter unsupported spans). Might not make much difference, but consider it.

Also, if only you had a hollow rim it seems like it would be much stiffer. That might give the
spokes some hope of reasonably tight tension without potato chipping. Keep your eyes out for a deal
on a hollow rim...

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I built a wheel for fun today using a 32-hole Deore hub and Weinmann rim and lacing 8 no-name SS
> spokes 2x on the drive side and 4 spokes radial on the non-drive side. Does this particular
> pattern have a name, sorta like crow's foot, etc. I did it haphazardly, and since the NDS is
> radial, the spokes on that side are too long (yes, one of them is very crooked), so it has 0
> tension in those and this wheel is unrideable right now, but I think I'll cut the spokes to length
> and see if I can use them then.
>
> Picture here: http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/wacky.jpg
>
> I remember Rolf or some other company lacing one of their high-end road wheels in this fashion (2
> drive-side with 1 NDS between them). Anyone remember?
>
> Yes, the wheel really does have 4 or 5 flat spots from me riding in the dark and not realizing
> that I was about to hit a curb. Hard.
>
> Yes, I will ride the wheel, albeit without rear brakes ;) The rim is a $2 singlewall that was used
> with disc brakes for a long time, and I never bothered to true it because I didn't need to. It
> just got worse and worse and I replaced the wheelset.
>
> I think I'm going to make a bet with my riding buddies as to how long the rim will last.

> Also, consider moving the non-drive side spokes 45 degrees from where they are now (so the rim has
> shorter unsupported spans). Might not make much difference, but consider it.

If I did this, then the wheel would have the worst possible lateral trueness because there wouldn't
be a nearby counteracting force on the drive side. Thus, the drive side spokes would pull it all the
way left, and the non-drive side would pull it all the way right.

> Also, if only you had a hollow rim it seems like it would be much stiffer. That might give the
> spokes some hope of reasonably tight tension without potato chipping. Keep your eyes out for a
> deal on a hollow rim...

Hehe, I'll need it soon.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training
> "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I built a wheel for fun today using a 32-hole Deore hub and Weinmann rim
and
> > lacing 8 no-name SS spokes 2x on the drive side and 4 spokes radial on
the
> > non-drive side. Does this particular pattern have a name, sorta like
crow's
> > foot, etc. I did it haphazardly, and since the NDS is radial, the
spokes on
> > that side are too long (yes, one of them is very crooked), so it has 0 tension in those and this
> > wheel is unrideable right now, but I think
I'll
> > cut the spokes to length and see if I can use them then.
> >
> > Picture here: http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/wacky.jpg
> >
> > I remember Rolf or some other company lacing one of their high-end road wheels in this fashion
> > (2 drive-side with 1 NDS between them). Anyone remember?
> >
> > Yes, the wheel really does have 4 or 5 flat spots from me riding in the
dark
> > and not realizing that I was about to hit a curb. Hard.
> >
> > Yes, I will ride the wheel, albeit without rear brakes ;) The rim is a
$2
> > singlewall that was used with disc brakes for a long time, and I never bothered to true it
> > because I didn't need to. It just got worse and
worse
> > and I replaced the wheelset.
> >
> > I think I'm going to make a bet with my riding buddies as to how long
the
> > rim will last.

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I built a wheel for fun today using a 32-hole Deore hub and Weinmann rim and lacing 8 no-name SS
> spokes 2x on the drive side and 4 spokes radial on the non-drive side

nice wheels, phil. i built a wheelset using this same lace pattern a few years ago. i have had a
little trouble with it going out of true, but i suppose that is to be expected- these wheels are
used on my downhill bike, three or four times a week.

anyways, ive decided to lay off the big drops this summer. say- anything over 20 feet. so i expect
these wheels to last a lifetime.

for my next set, im going to try to lace them with only two groups of spokes, ie: two groups of 2
driveside/1 nondrive. i can cut the weight of the spokes in half! i will probably religate those
wheels to a lighter duty machine, maybe my loaded touring bike.

cheers,

anthony

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Also, consider moving the non-drive side spokes 45 degrees from where they are now (so the rim
> > has shorter unsupported spans). Might not make much difference, but consider it.
>
> If I did this, then the wheel would have the worst possible lateral trueness because there
> wouldn't be a nearby counteracting force on the drive side. Thus, the drive side spokes would pull
> it all the way left, and the non-drive side would pull it all the way right.

Yep, that's the reverse problem. Hop, or wobble? A nice stiff rim would be the best choice to
"bridge the gap". Something like a Velocity Deep V ATB rim.

> > Also, if only you had a hollow rim it seems like it would be much stiffer. That might give the
> > spokes some hope of reasonably tight tension without potato chipping. Keep your eyes out for a
> > deal on a hollow rim...
>
> Hehe, I'll need it soon.

But what fun you're having in the mean time! :)