WADA to ban altitude tents

brotherrip

Aug 4, 2006
WADA has recommended banning altitude tents and will vote at their September meeting. Make your voice heard on this issue by signing the following letter at: http://www.altitudeforall.info/athletes_letter_only.html

Dear WADA Board Member,

We do not support the proposed ban on altitude simulation. Altitude tents are not doping. Rather they are an
environmental adjunct to training that provides the same oxygen levels and physiological response as true altitude.

We are concerned with WADA’s belief that “passive training” is against the spirit of sport. This principle cannot be
consistently applied without outlawing common training practices such as mountain training, heat training, cooling
vests, or even routine recovery practices.

We believe that WADA is misguided in this initiative. A ban on altitude tents risks WADA’s credibility and makes
WADA look foolish, especially when there is so much serious work to do.

We respectfully request a resolution to this issue. We ask that WADA vote to keep altitude tents OFF the banned
list. We further request that WADA return to its mission of getting drugs out of sports.

What will come next, a ban on where an athelete lives based on altitude. I can just see in the case of a athelete living in Colorado, say training in Denver, CO at 5,280 ft., and spending their nights in Leadville, CO at 10,430 ft., or other places where WADA will get out of control. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have no strong opinion on whether altitude tents are appropriate training equipment...

However, why is it a problem for an organization to ban any artificial training equipment?

As long as the rules are enforced fairly, any sport has the right to mandate the equipment and dietary supplements allowable in the sport.

How this rule could be adequately and fairly enforced is the only concern I would have. How could tests show whether a person's red blood counts are elevated by an altitude tent, or training/living at high altitude, or transfusions?

The impact of all three is similar (from my layman's understanding) so why is one of the two "artificial" methods legal and the other isn't? How can they tell which is which?

But, if they do eventually restrict so tightly that everyone must train within 1200 feet of sea level and eat nothing but organic foods from a specified list of approved foods and providers and not take any artificial vitamins... so what? As long as it is constructed in a fair way, and enforced without bias, then I am all for supporting the organization in doing what they must to make the competition fair.

Would the peleton be able to cruise at 30 mph for hours on end? Probably not, but it would be bicycle racing again and not a science fair... :D

wugga said:
What will come next, a ban on where an athelete lives based on altitude. I can just see in the case of a athelete living in Colorado, say training in Denver, CO at 5,280 ft., and spending their nights in Leadville, CO at 10,430 ft., or other places where WADA will get out of control. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have to totally agree. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Mt. climbers use them to train for mountain climbing. Cyclists should be able to do the same.

brotherrip said:
WADA has recommended banning altitude tents and will vote at their September meeting. Make your voice heard on this issue by signing the following letter at:
First post, and one asking us to sign a petition to keep altitude tents legal. Do you work for a altitude tent manufacturer?