waffle iron contains cancer causing chemical?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ronit, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Ronit

    Ronit Guest

    I was checking out Disney's waffle irons and they have a warning on
    them stating:

    WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth
    defects or other reproductive harm.

    The waffle iron can be seen here: http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Se-
    ction_id=14418&Product_Id=96208&Searchstr=waffle&Page=1

    Does anyone know what this chemical is and is it in all waffle irons?

    ronit

    Tags:

  2. Rmp

    Rmp Guest

    Per California laws, literally every chemical is cancer producing and has to be labelled so.

    "ronit" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was checking out Disney's waffle irons and they have a warning on them stating:
    >
    > WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or
    > birth defects or other reproductive harm.
    >
    > The waffle iron can be seen here:

    http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Section_id=14418&Product_Id=96208&Se-
    archstr=waffle&Page=1

    > Does anyone know what this chemical is and is it in all waffle irons?
    >
    > ronit

  3. "ronit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was checking out Disney's waffle irons and they have a warning on them stating:
    >
    > WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or
    > birth defects or other reproductive harm.
    >
    > The waffle iron can be seen here:

    http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Section_id=14418&Product_Id=96208&Se-
    archstr=waffle&Page=1

    > Does anyone know what this chemical is and is it in all waffle irons?

    It's this goofy compound known as 'mickey'. It was invented by donald pluto.

    Jack Disneyfication

  4. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    (ronit) writes:

    >I was checking out Disney's waffle irons and they have a warning on them stating:
    >
    >WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or
    >birth defects or other reproductive harm.
    >
    >The waffle iron can be seen here:
    >
    >http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Section_id
    =14418&Product_Id=96208&Searchstr=waffle&Page=1

    >Does anyone know what this chemical is and is it in all waffle irons?

    Says "silicone" coating... so why pray tell would the State of Callyforneeuh worry when 95% of the
    boobs there consist entirely of sillycone. Ask Arrrrrnuld! Duh!

  5. stan

    stan Guest

    ronit <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I was checking out Disney's waffle irons and they have a warning on them stating:

    > WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or
    > birth defects or other reproductive harm.

    > The waffle iron can be seen here: http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&-
    > Section_id=14418&Product_Id=96208&Searchstr=waffle&Page=1

    > Does anyone know what this chemical is and is it in all waffle irons?

    Why don't you contact Disney's customer service office to ask about the waffle iron?

  6. Nick

    Nick Guest

    My guess: its the nonstick surface... some sort of Teflon derivative. They are plenty safe... just
    spray it with Pam or olive oil before you heat it up.

    "ronit" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was checking out Disney's waffle irons and they have a warning on them stating:
    >
    > WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or
    > birth defects or other reproductive harm.
    >
    > The waffle iron can be seen here:

    http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Section_id=14418&Product_Id=96208&Se-
    archstr=waffle&Page=1

    > Does anyone know what this chemical is and is it in all waffle irons?
    >
    > ronit

  7. Drb

    Drb Guest

    "rmp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Per California laws, literally every chemical is cancer producing and has
    > be labelled so.

    My guess is that, like other posters have suggested, it's probably the teflon. And, like rmp said,
    the state of California labels almost everything cancer causing... My apartment building has a
    warning on it that is worded almost identical to the warning found on the waffle iron. You see signs
    like that all over the place, all over everything.

    I've only been in California for a little under a year and half, but I was told at a lab safety
    course that up until about 10 years ago, water was listed as a dangerous substance in the state.

  8. "DRB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    <snip>.

    > I've only been in California for a little under a year and half, but I was told at a lab safety
    > course that up until about 10 years ago, water was listed as a dangerous substance in the state.

    DRB,

    When and where was the lab safety course, if you don't mind sharing? Would be happy to discuss via
    email at the address in the headers.

    Thanks, Jason

  9. Drb

    Drb Guest

    "Jason Tinling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "DRB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    > <snip>.
    > >
    > > I've only been in California for a little under a year and half, but I
    was
    > > told at a lab safety course that up until about 10 years ago, water was listed as a dangerous
    > > substance in the state.
    > >

    > DRB,
    >
    > When and where was the lab safety course, if you don't mind sharing?
    Would
    > be happy to discuss via email at the address in the headers.
    >
    > Thanks, Jason

    It was a refresher class for grad students and faculty at UC-Davis this fall. It was 2 hours long
    and they just went over policies, etc. that we'd all heard before, but probably needed to hear
    again. We were in the dangerous chemicals portion, talking about MSDS sheets, and the subject of
    water came up. Someone asked as a joke if we'd need an MSDS for water, and the lady leading the
    class told us that it had only been about 10 years ago that water was considered dangerous...

  10. "DRB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > It was a refresher class for grad students and faculty at UC-Davis this fall. It was 2 hours long
    > and they just went over policies, etc. that
    we'd
    > all heard before, but probably needed to hear again. We were in the dangerous chemicals portion,
    > talking about MSDS sheets, and the subject of water came up. Someone asked as a joke if we'd need
    > an MSDS for water,
    and
    > the lady leading the class told us that it had only been about 10 years
    ago
    > that water was considered dangerous...

    DRB,

    Thanks. I've got an interest in urban folklore and the comment about water being listed as a
    dangerous substance had that sort of ring to it. I can certainly see water being dangerous in a lab
    environment (say, with sodium?), but wasn't sure if the reference was specific to lab use, or a
    general State of California "hazardous substances" type list.

    Jason

  11. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On 23 Dec 2003 05:06:11 -0800, [email protected] (ronit)
    wrote:

    > I was checking out Disney's waffle irons and they have a warning on them stating:
    >
    > WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or
    > birth defects or other reproductive harm.
    >
    > The waffle iron can be seen here: http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2-
    > &Section_id=14418&Product_Id=96208&Searchstr=waffle&Page=1
    >
    > Does anyone know what this chemical is and is it in all waffle irons?

    Hell, what do we know? Most of the time, it's someone crying WOLF at public expense. Some kook gets
    a bee in his bonnet and all of a sudden we have warning labels or just plain can't buy a product.

    For instance: California can't use/sell those little metallic balls, called dragees, which used to
    decorate cookies and cakes. Some Napa lawyer (a former Solano Co. prosecutor turned Enviornmental
    lawyer) has targeted them for years over some self-perceived metalic toxin thing. As a result, no
    more little silver balls for xmas & wedding decorations.

  12. Steve Kramer

    Steve Kramer Guest

    Hi,

    Excuse me, but any chance you are the 'Ronit' who has a cousin named Muriel living in Queens? A long
    shot, I know, but maybe?

    Steve Kramer Chiang Mai, Thailand

    --
    "The voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new horizons, but in seeing with new eyes." -
    Marcel Proust

  13. > Thanks. I've got an interest in urban folklore and the comment about water being listed as a
    > dangerous substance had that sort of ring to it. I can certainly see water being dangerous in a
    > lab environment (say, with sodium?), but wasn't sure if the reference was specific to lab use, or
    > a general State of California "hazardous substances" type list.

    This isn't an exact match, but you might be interested in this:

    http://www.snopes.com/toxins/dhmo.htm

    --Lia

  14. Cottp

    Cottp Guest

    > I was checking out Disney's waffle irons and they have a warning on them stating:
    >
    > WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or
    > birth defects or other reproductive harm.
    >
    > The waffle iron can be seen here: http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&-
    > Section_id=14418&Product_Id=96208&Searchstr=waffle&Page=1
    >
    > Does anyone know what this chemical is and is it in all waffle irons?
    >
    > ronit

    It's the Teflon(TM). Teflon or PTFE does in fact release some fumes above 500F but thing is, how
    many people actually heat an empty non- stick pan to that temperature? DuPont's web site lists only
    on incidence of PTFE fume toxicity and the individual recovered remarkably well.

    I think it's just California law being overly alarmist about things. And that propensity for panic
    is spreading into other communities and into Federal standards.

    For example - the Providence Water Supply Board owns many acres in Scituate, RI and has one of the
    best water quality in the U.S. That is, until a few years ago when they had to start chlorinating
    under new regulations.

    Granted - I only occasionally detect a chlorine odor in it. But the fact they chlorinate when there
    weren't any major problems before the new regulations leads me to think that sometimes we have too
    many regulations for our own good.

  15. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    I wonder about California since my comany makes building materials for houses and we must have a
    label stating the cancer risk on each bundle. It is Asphalt impregnated sheating for you information
    but still it is nice to know in Texas we are not at risk.

    On 23 Dec 2003 05:06:11 -0800, [email protected] (ronit) wrote:

    >I was checking out Disney's waffle irons and they have a warning on them stating:
    >
    >WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or
    >birth defects or other reproductive harm.
    >
    >The waffle iron can be seen here: http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&S-
    >ection_id=14418&Product_Id=96208&Searchstr=waffle&Page=1
    >
    >Does anyone know what this chemical is and is it in all waffle irons?
    >
    >ronit

    Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

  16. Cottp

    Cottp Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, drbrun0 @nospam.com says...
    > > "ronit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I was checking out Disney's waffle irons and they have a warning on them stating:
    > > >
    > > > WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or
    > > > birth defects or other reproductive harm. Does anyone know what this chemical is and is it in
    > > > all waffle irons?
    > > >
    > > > ronit
    > >

    > "rmp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Per California laws, literally every chemical is cancer producing and has
    > > be labelled so.
    > >

    > My guess is that, like other posters have suggested, it's probably the teflon. And, like rmp said,
    > the state of California labels almost everything cancer causing... My apartment building has a
    > warning on it that is worded almost identical to the warning found on the waffle iron. You see
    > signs like that all over the place, all over everything.
    >
    > I've only been in California for a little under a year and half, but I was told at a lab safety
    > course that up until about 10 years ago, water was listed as a dangerous substance in the state.

    Sort of like the Penn & Teller Bullshit episode where they exposed the environmental activists for
    the assorted fruits and nuts that they really are.

    I thought the petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide was a blast. Talk about joiner syndrome.

  17. Cottp

    Cottp Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, drbrun0 @nospam.com says...

    > It was a refresher class for grad students and faculty at UC-Davis this fall. It was 2 hours long
    > and they just went over policies, etc. that we'd all heard before, but probably needed to hear
    > again. We were in the dangerous chemicals portion, talking about MSDS sheets, and the subject of
    > water came up. Someone asked as a joke if we'd need an MSDS for water, and the lady leading the
    > class told us that it had only been about 10 years ago that water was considered dangerous...

    I've worked in a manufacturing environment where everything had to be both properly labeled and have
    MSDS sheets on file. If either one of those conditions weren't met, even for a container of water
    there were some hefty fines.

  18. Ronit

    Ronit Guest

    Hi Steve, Ronit is a very common name in Israel so I'm not the one. I think every Ronit has a cousin
    in NYC, though.

  19. ronit <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I was checking out Disney's waffle irons and they have a warning on them stating:
    [...]
    >Does anyone know what this chemical is and is it in all waffle irons?

    "Disney magic."

    It used merely to cause diabetes, but ever since Michael Eisner took over, the quality has dropped
    and the exploitation has become overwhelming.

    --Blair "When you wish upon a senior subordinated debenture..."

  20. COTTP <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I've worked in a manufacturing environment where everything had to be both properly labeled and
    >have MSDS sheets on file. If either one of those conditions weren't met, even for a container of
    >water there were some hefty fines.

    Water is dangerous, in at least two ways:

    1) You can drown in it.

    2) Drink enough, and you die of hyponatremia.

    Technically, it's perfectly reasonable to have an MSDS sheet for it to define the limits of
    these dangers.

    --Blair "It's stupidity nobody ever accounts for."