waffle iron contains cancer causing chemical?

COTTP <[email protected]> wrote:
>Sort of like the Penn & Teller ******** episode where they exposed the environmental activists for
>the assorted fruits and nuts that they really are.
>
>I thought the petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide was a blast. Talk about joiner syndrome.

Penn & Teller exposed ignorance for fun.

It's the people who simply exploit it for profit who should be shot.

--Blair "I'm not saying to shoot the President. Not really.""

"Blair P. Houghton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> COTTP <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I've worked in a manufacturing environment where everything had to be both properly labeled and
> >have MSDS sheets on file. If either one of those conditions weren't met, even for a container of
> >water there were some hefty fines.
>
> Water is dangerous, in at least two ways:
>
> 1) You can drown in it.
>
> 2) Drink enough, and you die of hyponatremia.
>
> Technically, it's perfectly reasonable to have an MSDS sheet for it to define the limits of these
> dangers.
>
> --Blair "It's stupidity nobody ever accounts for."

Well, true on both accounts :), but they were talking about it being dangergous chemically... Well,
I suppose if you want to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen, that could be kind of
dangerous...

DRB <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Blair P. Houghton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> COTTP <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >I've worked in a manufacturing environment where everything had to be both properly labeled and
>> >have MSDS sheets on file. If either one of those conditions weren't met, even for a container of
>> >water there were some hefty fines.
>>
>> Water is dangerous, in at least two ways:
>>
>> 1) You can drown in it.
>>
>> 2) Drink enough, and you die of hyponatremia.
>>
>> Technically, it's perfectly reasonable to have an MSDS sheet for it to define the limits of these
>> dangers.
>>
>> "It's stupidity nobody ever accounts for."
>
>Well, true on both accounts :), but they were talking about it being dangergous chemically... Well,
>I suppose if you want to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen, that could be kind of
>dangerous...

The MSDS should indicate that in electrical fires, that's exactly what happens to water.

Then, since there's a fire, the hydrogen burns with the oxygen, increasing the flame.

And water can be dangerous, conducting electricity, corroding and dissolving other substances, etc.

--Blair "Doesn't hurt yurtles, though."

>>> Technically, it's perfectly reasonable to have an MSDS sheet for it to define the limits of
>>> these dangers.
>>>
>>> "It's stupidity nobody ever accounts for."
>>
>>Well, true on both accounts :), but they were talking about it being dangergous chemically...
>>Well, I suppose if you want to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen, that could be kind
>>of dangerous...
>
>The MSDS should indicate that in electrical fires, that's exactly what happens to water.
>
>Then, since there's a fire, the hydrogen burns with the oxygen, increasing the flame.
>
>And water can be dangerous, conducting electricity, corroding and dissolving other substances, etc.
>
> --Blair "Doesn't hurt yurtles, though."

The MSDS can be found here http://www.dhmo.org/msdsdhmo.html

see below

Roger Parkes wrote:

> >>Well, true on both accounts :), but they were talking about it being dangergous chemically...
> >>Well, I suppose if you want to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen, that could be
> >>kind of dangerous...
> >
> >The MSDS should indicate that in electrical fires, that's exactly what happens to water.
> >
> >Then, since there's a fire, the hydrogen burns with the oxygen, increasing the flame.
> >
> >And water can be dangerous, conducting electricity, corroding and dissolving other
> >substances, etc.
> >
> > --Blair "Doesn't hurt yurtles, though."

> Bair you are of course talking about "MODERN" Waffle irons WITH
TEFLON???
> Teflon is very dangerous not only to Humans but will KILL Bird pets
in any household!
> The Military gave up Teflon years ago yet still cook in ALUMINUM Pots
which are even worse!

--
"Beaten Paths are for Beaten People". -- Anon.

ronit ([email protected]), citing the Rules of Acquisition to rec.food.cooking, says...

> I was checking out Disney's waffle irons and they have a warning on them stating:
>
> WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or
> birth defects or other reproductive harm.
>
> The waffle iron can be seen here: http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&-
> Section_id=14418&Product_Id=96208&Searchstr=waffle&Page=1
>
> Does anyone know what this chemical is and is it in all waffle irons?
>
> ronit

I'm spotting this one kind of late, but I've had to deal with customer phone calls regarding this
very warning.

I work for the water quality section at the Los Angeles Dept. of Water and Power, and every now and
then, I get a call from an apartment dweller asking about a sign, with the same language, posted in
the building.

My basic answer is to tell the caller to ask the apartment manager or owner about it. My expanded
answer is to note (after doing some research), the State of California passed a law requiring that
notice to be posted wherever any hazardous chemicals might be in the environment. However, no one
really enforces it, and there's no penalty for having the sign up when there are no dangerous
chemicals present.

As a result, businesses tend to post that warning on a "CYA" (Cover Your Anatomy) basis.

My hunch is that the warning sign probably has more dangerous chemicals (from the ink, and any
chemicals used to process the paper) than you'll find in whatever you're being warned about.)

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:24:58 GMT, "DRB" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've only been in California for a little under a year and half, but I was told at a lab safety
>course that up until about 10 years ago, water was listed as a dangerous substance in the state.

your pal, blake