Wahey. Ride, Walk AND a SMIDSY :-)

Mark Thompson

Guest
I realised the other week that I was living next to some beautiful
countryside so bought a map of the Peak District and nipped off to look
at some peat. Got the train without any bike hassles from Manchester to
Glossop then cycled off to the start of the walk. The first half was all
uphill. Immediately realised that I am s-l-o-w up the hills - was only
doing 10mph - eek, I'm a trundly! Then it got worse. 9mph, 6.5, 5.5 then
horrow of horrors The Granny Ring Noooooooooo! Following the example of
some of the more cunning members of this group I stopped a couple of
times to take pictures + admire the view. Still didn't work - the after
starting again the speed quickly dropped back to the horrendous below-
trundly speeds. I passed the time experimenting with road positioning
but the cagers were used to wobbly cyclists and gave me a wide berth
regardless of road positioning. Tried some very primary positions round
some of the 'no overtaking' corners to see if I could get a conker[2] but
they just overtook on the blind bends anyway. Ho hum. What was
interesting is that when a train of cars came passed each got
successively closer[3]. Actually that wasn't interesting at all, but it
illustrates how bored I was with the hill.

Eventually after a period of time longer than it will take to read this
post I got to the top of something. To my immense enjoyment it was
downhill all the way for the next two miles. The big ring thing wasn't
working (bloody derailleurs...mumble...grumble) so it was a case of
letting gravity do its thing. As I passed thirty mph a vaguely worrying
wobble developed in the front wheel/headset so I kept my speed lower than
I could have.

Got to the car park, locked up and had a most pleasant time walking about
looking at peat, sheep and the view. From the top of Kinder Scout I
could probably see Manchester through the binoculars but couldn't be sure
through the haze. Watched a couple of planes land at Manchester Airport
then started walking back looking at more peat, sheep and strange rock
formations. Was absolutely no one about so scrabbled about over nig
boulders, tried to scare myself by looking over the edge and baaa'd at
the sheep.

The ride back was even better than the ride there. Had thought about the
wobble and decided to see if it was serious or not. An evil headwind
stopped me going to fast but this wasn't a problem as I did the last four
miles above thirty mph. Got up to just under 38 as my top speed which is
not too bad considering that I wasn't pedalling[4]. Raided the garage
for ridiculous amounts of chocolate to replace all the calories I'd burnt
off, then off to the station to get the train back to Manchester.

Whilst riding through Rusholme, land of the curry, I was thinking about
how considerate all the drivers had been when an oncoming Mr SMIDSY
turned right, just in front of me. I slammed on the brakes with a quick
prayer along the lines of 'don't let it hurt but please wreck the bike so
Mr. Insurance buys me a new one' but unfortunately the brakes worked a
bit better than I expected and I just smashed one of his hubcaps. The
guy stopped and I pushed the bike over. "you alright?" says he. "didn't
see you"
"Yeah, think it's ok" says I spinning the wheel to see if its buckled,
and hoiking the wheel back in line with the handlebars.
"bugger the bike, I'm worried about you!"
Crumbs. Obviously blind/dopey but he both stopped *and* seemed to care.
Slipped the unused u.r.c. Goolie Cutters back in my pocket and pedalled
off home.

Plan for the next week is to do some mystical chants over the gears to
try and get the derailleur thingy working properly, then do it again and
see how fast I can go with pedal power.

Mark.

[2] The Great Trog Conspiracy. Track a copy down and devour it.
[3] Apart from sports cars, who seemed to welcome the opportunity to
fling the car about a bit.
[4] Or is that selling stuff?

- where'd [1] go?

In news:[email protected],
Mark Thompson <[email protected]> typed:
> Whilst riding through Rusholme, land of the curry, I was thinking
> about how considerate all the drivers had been when an oncoming Mr
> SMIDSY turned right, just in front of me. I slammed on the brakes
> with a quick prayer along the lines of 'don't let it hurt but please
> wreck the bike so Mr. Insurance buys me a new one' but unfortunately
> the brakes worked a bit better than I expected and I just smashed one
> of his hubcaps. The guy stopped and I pushed the bike over. "you
> alright?" says he. "didn't see you"
> "Yeah, think it's ok" says I spinning the wheel to see if its buckled,
> and hoiking the wheel back in line with the handlebars.
> "bugger the bike, I'm worried about you!"
> Crumbs. Obviously blind/dopey but he both stopped *and* seemed to
> care. Slipped the unused u.r.c. Goolie Cutters back in my pocket and
> pedalled off home.

I'd never think to say that. Where can I get some of his considerateness
from. I'd like to say I'd never do a SMIDSY, but I'm not all that confident
on that front. Better to be on a bike from my point of view. Not going to
hurt someone so much if I do it.

"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I'd like to say I'd never do a SMIDSY, but I'm not all that confident
> on that front.

I don't think anyone can categorically state that they would *never* do a
SMIDSY. I would like to say I'm very unlikely to do one, but I've done one
in the past. He was riding an unlit bike, wearing black on an unlit road
and I never actually hit him, but still...

Graeme

Mark Thompson <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Slipped the unused u.r.c. Goolie Cutters back in my pocket and pedalled
> off home.

I bought my first set of those the other week. Damned good quality they are
too. They even double as cable cutters!

Graeme

> I bought my first set of those the other week. Damned good quality
> they are too. They even double as cable cutters!

I hear they're bringing out a special edition set. Made from unfinished
wood with a splintered blunt edge <shudders>.

Graeme wrote:

> I don't think anyone can categorically state that they would *never*

do a
> SMIDSY. I would like to say I'm very unlikely to do one, but I've done one
> in the past. He was riding an unlit bike, wearing black on an unlit road
> and I never actually hit him, but still...

Does it count as euthanasia if you hit someone with an obvious
deathwish?

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Graeme <[email protected]> wrote:
( I don't think anyone can categorically state that they would *never* do a
) SMIDSY. I would like to say I'm very unlikely to do one, but I've done one
( in the past.

I have done a SMIDSY. Admittedly I was also on a bicycle (of course).

Turning right across a wide street (High Street in Oxford outside the
Schools) which is these days used more as a bus-station than a street,
I was so bothered not to be mashed by the double-parked London and
Heathrow coaches and the milling crowd of passengers with too much
luggage I quite missed seeing a cyclist coming the other way in the
small bit of road that remained for traffic. She was furious (but
was wearing a helmet, so they don't protect against being furious).

I was mortified to hear myself saying it too.

On 29 Jun 2004 08:13:46 GMT, Mark Thompson
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

[u.r.c. goolie cutters]

>> I bought my first set of those the other week. Damned good quality
>> they are too. They even double as cable cutters!

>I hear they're bringing out a special edition set. Made from unfinished
>wood with a splintered blunt edge <shudders>.

Available in a presentation pack with two paving slabs, a gun, a tin
of petrol and some matches, all mounted for convenience on a specially
adpted Bike Hod.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Geraint Jones wrote:
> Graeme <[email protected]> wrote:
> ( I don't think anyone can categorically state that they would *never* do a
> ) SMIDSY. I would like to say I'm very unlikely to do one, but I've done
> one ( in the past.
>
> I have done a SMIDSY. Admittedly I was also on a bicycle (of course).

I had a bicycle do a SMIDSY on me last week in London. Pootling along on the
Brompton when a guy on an MTB overtook me and turned immediately left across
me. No harm done though but slightly surreal to be told SMIDSY by a fellow
cyclist

Tony

Mark Thompson wrote:

[snip]

> [2] The Great Trog Conspiracy. Track a copy down and devour it.

I am pleased to say that I still have my copy from when I was a tiny Mr
Larrington, way back in (mumbles)...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:33:52 +0100 someone who may be "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I had a bicycle do a SMIDSY on me last week in London. Pootling along on the
>Brompton when a guy on an MTB overtook me and turned immediately left across
>me. No harm done though but slightly surreal to be told SMIDSY by a fellow
>cyclist

Presumably he did see you, otherwise he would have crashed into your
rear tyre.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

David Hansen wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:33:52 +0100 someone who may be "Tony Raven"
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>> I had a bicycle do a SMIDSY on me last week in London. Pootling along on
>> the Brompton when a guy on an MTB overtook me and turned immediately left
>> across me. No harm done though but slightly surreal to be told SMIDSY by
>> a fellow cyclist

> Presumably he did see you, otherwise he would have crashed into your
> rear tyre.

You are making the classic mistake of assuming SMIDSY means SMIDSY whereas it
usually means SMIDSY-BII - Sorry mate I did see you but ignored it.

Tony

Tony Raven [email protected] opined the following...
> You are making the classic mistake of assuming SMIDSY means SMIDSY whereas it
> usually means SMIDSY-BII - Sorry mate I did see you but ignored it.

I've actually heard that one. The bloke who caused me to lock a wheel
while travelling up a hill by turning across in front of me (Coming down
the hill). I followed him until he parked his car and asked "Can you see
me?" - The precurser to "Why can you see me now, but completely failed
earlier?"

"I saw you when you were further down the hill."

He saw me. Completely failed to judge my speed. Didn't check again
before actually maneouvering, and nearly ran me over. Had I been pushing
it a bit harder at that point I'd have been sat on his bonnet. If he
hadn't been such an utterly pathetic example of the human race, I'd
probably have killed him. Instead I sprinted up the hill on the
adrenaline.

Jon