waitrose free hire of bike trailers

JNugent writtificated

>> The contents of some other skips, such as electrical items, don't go
>> straight to landfill.

> What happens to them?

I've snipped the bits where you say you don't know what happens, then later
confidently assert what happens.

Mark T wrote:

> JNugent writtificated

>>> The contents of some other skips, such as electrical items, don't go
>>> straight to landfill.

>> What happens to them?

> I've snipped the bits where you say you don't know what happens, then later
> confidently assert what happens.

There are two techniques in asking questions (maybe more than two).

There are questions to which the questioner does not know the answer,
and questions to which the questioner does know (or thinks he knows) the
answer.

Mark T wrote:

> JNugent writtificated

>> I dare say all of that is correct.
>> It's all going to depend <snip>

> I'm confused. What is going to depend?

You'll have to quote a bit more context than that if you want an answer.

JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

> Clive George wrote:

> > Is it cheating to use a trailer to take stuff to the tip?

> Not at all.
>
> But the resultant combination is not a bicycle, any more than an
> articulated lorry is a tractor unit.

If you read further up the thread, you will remember you replied to a
suggestion that "In Walsall, they don't allow you into our local dump on
bicycle". It may be that the combination is not, IYHO, a bicycle but the
vehicle at the front of the combination remains a bicycle just as my
dad's car remains a car even when it is towing a caravan.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

> Clive George wrote:
> > "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> What would be the point of going to the tip (or recycling point) on a
> >> bicycle? Come to that, what be the point in going there as a pedestrian?

> > Um, to recycle or tip something?

> Why not just leave it out for the recycling collection or put in the
> bin? The stuff you "tip" goes to the same place as the contents of th bin.

Here in Preston I can take a number of things to the tip (sorry, 'Local
Recycling Centre') for recycling that are not collected for recycling.
This includes batteries, oil and the card used for cartons of liquid. If
I'm cycling past, I might well drop off some batteries as they will
easily fit into a pocket and it's no noticeable extra effort.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mark T wrote:
>
> > JNugent writtificated

> >> I dare say all of that is correct.
> >> It's all going to depend <snip>

> > I'm confused. What is going to depend?

> You'll have to quote a bit more context than that if you want an answer.

Or you could read back up the thread.

Now where's pretzel-J?

Ta ra,

Ekul Namsob wrote:

> JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Mark T wrote:
>>> JNugent writtificated

>>> I'm confused. What is going to depend?

>> You'll have to quote a bit more context than that if you want an answer.

> Or you could read back up the thread.

I can't. I have Thunderbird set so as not to retain messages that have
been read, once I have moved out of a particular NG.

JNugent wrote:
> There are two techniques in asking questions (maybe more than two).
>
> There are questions to which the questioner does not know the answer,
> and questions to which the questioner does know (or thinks he knows) the
> answer.

I would ask whether you have any near-term plans to ask any of the
latter kind that are on the subject of cycling.

But I think I already know the answer.

-dan

x-no-archive:JNugent wrote:
> David Hansen wrote:
>>
>> Incidentally many "American" words, phrases and pronunciations,
>> which English purists turn their toes up at, originated in Scotland.

> And you're boasting about it?

I have noticed that there are some words which are supposedly Scottish
dialect which were also used in southern England 100 or so years ago.
Indeed, my impression is that so-called 'American' words originated in
GB, but were subsequently dropped by class conscious Victorian English.

I may be wrong. I have no sources.

Jim Harvest writtificated

> I have noticed that there are some words which are supposedly Scottish
> dialect which were also used in southern England 100 or so years ago.
> Indeed, my impression is that so-called 'American' words originated in
> GB, but were subsequently dropped by class conscious Victorian English.

I heard that their East Coast accent is closer to Shakespeare's than our
accents are. How on earth they worked that out I'm not sure. Urban myth?

> I may be wrong. I have no sources.

Me neither :/

x-no-archive:Mark T wrote:

> I heard that their East Coast accent is closer to Shakespeare's than our
> accents are. How on earth they worked that out I'm not sure. Urban myth?

Puritan settlers?

Mark T wrote:
> Jim Harvest writtificated
>
>> I have noticed that there are some words which are supposedly Scottish
>> dialect which were also used in southern England 100 or so years ago.
>> Indeed, my impression is that so-called 'American' words originated in
>> GB, but were subsequently dropped by class conscious Victorian English.

> I heard that their East Coast accent is closer to Shakespeare's than our
> accents are. How on earth they worked that out I'm not sure. Urban myth?
>
>> I may be wrong. I have no sources.

> Me neither :/

The only source I have seen is a video, one of a series called The Story
of English" which I believe made this point. Some small section of the
US Eastern Seaboard, possibly limited to one or two islands in the
Cheasapeake Bay area have what is likely to be an accent like what
Shakespeare is thought to have. Early settlers came from the same area.

http://ling.cornell.edu/teachling/AV/story.html

--
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Rob Morley wrote:

> JNugent [email protected] says...

>> You didn't "carry" it there by bicycle if the photo was of relevance.
>> You towed it there on a trailer, pulled by a bicycle. In total, the
>> articulated vehicle had at least four wheels. You could not have loaded
>> that bed onto that bike.

> The other day my car broke, so I went home, loaded a bike with some
> tools (2 ton trolley jack, axle stands, socket set, impact driver, a
> couple of hammers, various other tools) then rode it back and fixed the
> car. Now at a pinch I probably could have carried that stuff in a big
> rucksack, or on a trolley, but it would have been a long couple of miles
> back to the car and entirely impractical over a greater distance. The
> bike handled it easily, and was useful for a quick trip to Halfords to
> get parts.

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to this - but iny case, you lost
me somewhere in that welter of words.

Does it mean that you can load a bed onto a bicycle after all?

Colin wrote:

>> Why not just leave it out for the recycling collection or put in the
>> bin? The stuff you "tip" goes to the same place as the contents of th
>> bin.

> <snip>

>> But you and others have confirmed that there is no real practical
>> point to it (as opposed to using the dustbin or the recycling
>> container) - it's just a fun run.

> Our council does not yet collect plastics for recycling from the
> doorstep. Our nearest plastics recycling point is 3/4 of a mile away,
> and as squashed milk containers neither take up much room or weight, can
> be successfully transported in panniers or the cycle trailer for larger
> quantities. Just because *you* can see no practical reason to go to the
> recycling center by bike, it does not follow there is *no* practical
> reason to go.

Is there no recycling facility anywhere but at the tip (like the local
supermarket, or even in a local car-park)?

I don't think most people would insist on taking squashed milk
containers to the tip, even if there was no local recycling collection.
They would just put such things in the dustbin (which must be OK in that
area if the LA does not do a household recycling collection). Trying to
argue that taking squashed milk containers to the tip is a terrible
problem crying out for a solution strikes me as far-fetched.

[email protected] wrote:
> JNugent wrote:

>> There are two techniques in asking questions (maybe more than two).
>> There are questions to which the questioner does not know the answer,
>> and questions to which the questioner does know (or thinks he knows)
>> the answer.

> I would ask whether you have any near-term plans to ask any of the
> latter kind that are on the subject of cycling.
> But I think I already know the answer.

You do. I ask lots of questions which are either directly on the topic
of cycling or are closely related to that topic. Sometimes I already
know the answer (or an answer) but want to see what others think the
answer is.

Jim Harvest wrote:

> Mark T wrote:

>> I heard that their East Coast accent is closer to Shakespeare's than
>> our accents are. How on earth they worked that out I'm not sure.
>> Urban myth?

> Puritan settlers?

It's partly urban myth but is grounded in truth.

It is true that there are some relatively self-contained spots on the
USA's eastern seaboard (particularly one island community whose name I
can't remember) where the locals have remarkably "English" or other
British accents, and that the most likely explanation is that this
manner of speech has been largely preserved since colonisation in the
sixteenth century (just like accents are preserved anywhere). But the
generally found American accent (on either coast) is not preserved Tudor
English speech.

I understand that linguistic historians attribute much of the
development of the modern American accent to other European influences -
particularly to Dutch (some of which can sound a lot like English).

Mind you, it's all conjectural. I once read a learned suggestion that
the word "dollar" and its American pronunciation ("darler") were derived
from the Dutch (and presumably the German) word "thaler" ("to pay").
That certainly sounds good on first hearing, but if it's true, it would
have developed in the 1770s (because before that, the units of currency
in what are now the USA's eastern states were pounds, shillings and
pence). And it would not explain how dollars (clearly referred to as a
currency unit) are mentioned in "Macbeth".

John Kane wrote:
> Mark T wrote:
>> Jim Harvest writtificated
>>
>>> I have noticed that there are some words which are supposedly
>>> Scottish dialect which were also used in southern England 100 or so
>>> years ago. Indeed, my impression is that so-called 'American' words
>>> originated in GB, but were subsequently dropped by class conscious
>>> Victorian English.

>> I heard that their East Coast accent is closer to Shakespeare's than
>> our accents are. How on earth they worked that out I'm not sure.
>> Urban myth?
>>
>>> I may be wrong. I have no sources.

>> Me neither :/

> The only source I have seen is a video, one of a series called The Story
> of English" which I believe made this point. Some small section of the
> US Eastern Seaboard, possibly limited to one or two islands in the
> Cheasapeake Bay area have what is likely to be an accent like what
> Shakespeare is thought to have. Early settlers came from the same area.
>

> http://ling.cornell.edu/teachling/AV/story.html

That sounds like the island(s) I was trying to remember.

JNugent wrote:
> Colin wrote:
>
>> Our council does not yet collect plastics for recycling from the
>> doorstep. Our nearest plastics recycling point is 3/4 of a mile away,
>> and as squashed milk containers neither take up much room or weight,
>> can be successfully transported in panniers or the cycle trailer for
>> larger quantities. Just because *you* can see no practical reason to
>> go to the recycling center by bike, it does not follow there is *no*
>> practical reason to go.

> Is there no recycling facility anywhere but at the tip (like the local
> supermarket, or even in a local car-park)?

Yes, there is recycling facilities in the car-park of our nearest town.
However, as that is further away than our local recycling point, it is
*more* practical to go to our local recycling center

> I don't think most people would insist on taking squashed milk
> containers to the tip, even if there was no local recycling collection.

I wasn't *insisting* anyone does anything. I was saying what I found to
be practical, therefore showing your argument there could be *no*
practical reason for cycling to the tip to be false.

> They would just put such things in the dustbin (which must be OK in that
> area if the LA does not do a household recycling collection). Trying to
> argue that taking squashed milk containers to the tip is a terrible
> problem crying out for a solution strikes me as far-fetched.

I've re-read my post several times, and nowhere have I seen where I
tried to argue that point. This is probably because I never said such a
thing. If you could restrict the discussion to what people *actually*
wrote, rather than what you would have liked us to have said to further
your own argument, then perhaps we could have a reasoned discourse on
the practicalities or otherwise of cycling to the local tip/recycling
center.

Colin

Colin wrote:

> JNugent wrote:
>> Colin wrote:

>>> Our council does not yet collect plastics for recycling from the
>>> doorstep. Our nearest plastics recycling point is 3/4 of a mile away,
>>> and as squashed milk containers neither take up much room or weight,
>>> can be successfully transported in panniers or the cycle trailer for
>>> larger quantities. Just because *you* can see no practical reason to
>>> go to the recycling center by bike, it does not follow there is *no*
>>> practical reason to go.

>> Is there no recycling facility anywhere but at the tip (like the local
>> supermarket, or even in a local car-park)?

> Yes, there is recycling facilities in the car-park of our nearest town.
> However, as that is further away than our local recycling point, it is
> *more* practical to go to our local recycling center

"More practical" except for the the fact that the people operating the
tip (if yours was the tip in question) have decided that - for whatever
reason - it isn't practical for them to allow bicycles onto the plot" is
what I think you must mean.

[FWIW, I think you really meant "more convenient" - but it's probably
best to let it pass.]

In some ways, it's something of a shame that you don't live next door to
the tip - then you could be even more indignant about how "practical" it
would be to cycle into it. OTOH, if the recycling facilities in the
car-park of your nearest town were next door to you, the situation would
be different (presumably, since distance seems to be your only criterion).

>> I don't think most people would insist on taking squashed milk
>> containers to the tip, even if there was no local recycling collection.

> I wasn't *insisting* anyone does anything. I was saying what I found to
> be practical, therefore showing your argument there could be *no*
> practical reason for cycling to the tip to be false.

But your view on what is practical is clearly not in accordance with
that of the people who have to operate the tip. Whose view should prevail?

>> They would just put such things in the dustbin (which must be OK in
>> that area if the LA does not do a household recycling collection).
>> Trying to argue that taking squashed milk containers to the tip is a
>> terrible problem crying out for a solution strikes me as far-fetched.

> I've re-read my post several times, and nowhere have I seen where I
> tried to argue that point.

It's called "implication".

> This is probably because I never said such a
> thing. If you could restrict the discussion to what people *actually*
> wrote, rather than what you would have liked us to have said to further
> your own argument, then perhaps we could have a reasoned discourse on
> the practicalities or otherwise of cycling to the local tip/recycling
> center.

So let's get this straight...

It isn't a problem (even if it's the tip local to you where the
management won't permit cycling on their facility) but it is a problem
and you think you know better then they do?

If that's not correct, what is the correct way of looking at it?