waitrose free hire of bike trailers

PK wrote:
> "David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> That's a lot better than paying the council, in my case, ten or
>> forty pounds to collect it.
>> <http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/topics/index.cfm?fuseaction=service.display&subjectid=A3D3D0E9-3F7B-451E-BE0DD78A8E8A8FBD&objectid=D222092F-9766-4FA7-B2CEED109B322828>
>>

> Arrrgh!#
>

> What on earth is a "special uplift" - do they perhaps mean "special
> collection" - I truly despair at the use of English in many council
> publications!
>
> What the hell are they going to do, bring along a set of legs to stand
> the item on!!!!!
>
> pk

"Uplift" used by a council is a bit of a Scottishism.

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> David Hansen wrote:
>
>> Lloyd <[email protected]> wrote this:

>>> In Walsall, they don't allow you into our local dump on bicycle, on
>>> Health & Safety grounds.

>> What does your local councillor say when you point out that this is
>> at variance with the words the council undoubtedly has about
>> encouraging cycling?

> What would be the point of going to the tip (or recycling point) on a
> bicycle? Come to that, what be the point in going there as a pedestrian?

Um, to recycle or tip something?

Y'know, you don't exactly make yourself look good by asking such a stupid
question.

clive

On Feb 12, 11:46 am, JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
> PK wrote:
> > "David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> That's a lot better than paying the council, in my case, ten or
> >> forty pounds to collect it.
> >> <http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/topics/index.cfm?fuseaction=service.disp...>

> > Arrrgh!#

> > What on earth is a "special uplift" - do they perhaps mean "special
> > collection" - I truly despair at the use of English in many council
> > publications!

> > What the hell are they going to do, bring along a set of legs to stand
> > the item on!!!!!

> > pk

> "Uplift" used by a council is a bit of a Scottishism.

It is a general scottishism, not just a council one that has yet to
find usage outwith this nation (OK, another word I kept being told off
for using down south).

...d

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:04:19 +0000, Nigel Cliffe wrote:

>> I was down at the local recycling point a few weeks ago - one of the
>> items to be discarded was a (small) piece of (intact) furniture. I

> varnishing). If anyone would like a rather nice pair of restored Ercol
> arm chairs, ideal for a conservatory, drop me an email :)

I have been very impressed with http://freecycle.org for this type of
'rubbish'.

Cheers
Noel

On 12 Feb, 09:41, JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
> What would be the point of going to the tip (or recycling point) on a
> bicycle? Come to that, what be the point in going there as a pedestrian?

To avoid the huge queue of cars and vans that snakes out of the site
and down the road at weekends, same as there is at Waitrose.

Noel wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:04:19 +0000, Nigel Cliffe wrote:
>
>> ......... If anyone would like a rather nice pair of restored
>> Ercol arm chairs, ideal for a conservatory, drop me an email :)

> I have been very impressed with http://freecycle.org for this type of
> 'rubbish'.

Indeed, an effective way of recycling things.

However, I would quite like to recover a little cash for the materials used
on the chair restoration, so freecycle is not appropriate this time.

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

POHB wrote:

> JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

>> What would be the point of going to the tip (or recycling point) on a
>> bicycle? Come to that, what be the point in going there as a pedestrian?

> To avoid the huge queue of cars and vans that snakes out of the site
> and down the road at weekends, same as there is at Waitrose.

Well, yes... but limited to dumping what one can lift, carry, drag, etc.

You might as well just drop it in a litter bin.

David Martin wrote:
> On Feb 12, 11:46 am, JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
>> PK wrote:
>>> "David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Arrrgh!#
>>> What on earth is a "special uplift" - do they perhaps mean "special
>>> collection" - I truly despair at the use of English in many council
>>> publications!
>>> What the hell are they going to do, bring along a set of legs to stand
>>> the item on!!!!!
>>> pk

>> "Uplift" used by a council is a bit of a Scottishism.

> It is a general scottishism, not just a council one that has yet to
> find usage outwith this nation (OK, another word I kept being told off
> for using down south).
>
> ..d

We do occasionally use the word "uplifting" in English English, but I
suppose that's similar to the distinction between the word "disgruntled"
and the imaginary word "gruntled".

We don't, as you rightly say, say "outwith" for "outside", but we do
have available the word "without" (which originally meant "outside") for
the same purpose, however infrequently it is used.

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> POHB wrote:
>
>> JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> What would be the point of going to the tip (or recycling point) on a
>>> bicycle? Come to that, what be the point in going there as a pedestrian?

>> To avoid the huge queue of cars and vans that snakes out of the site
>> and down the road at weekends, same as there is at Waitrose.

> Well, yes... but limited to dumping what one can lift, carry, drag, etc.
>
> You might as well just drop it in a litter bin.

You don't have a clue how much people can carry, do you - whether it be on
foot or on a human-powered vehicle.

clive

Clive George wrote:

> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> POHB wrote:

>>> To avoid the huge queue of cars and vans that snakes out of the site
>>> and down the road at weekends, same as there is at Waitrose.

>> Well, yes... but limited to dumping what one can lift, carry, drag, etc.
>> You might as well just drop it in a litter bin.

> You don't have a clue how much people can carry, do you - whether it be
> on foot or on a human-powered vehicle.

I know how much *I* can carry - and how much I am prepared to
countenance my family carrying. For the amounts involved, we would not
go the recycling centre on foot (it's way too far for a start). We
could, of course, carry even less on a bicycle than on foot.

If you've been successful in completing the Charles Atlas correspondence
course, congratulations. I often wondered who replied to those adverts.

Clive George wrote:
> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> David Hansen wrote:

>>> What does your local councillor say when you point out that this is
>>> at variance with the words the council undoubtedly has about
>>> encouraging cycling?

>> What would be the point of going to the tip (or recycling point) on a
>> bicycle? Come to that, what be the point in going there as a pedestrian?

> Um, to recycle or tip something?

Why not just leave it out for the recycling collection or put in the
bin? The stuff you "tip" goes to the same place as the contents of th bin.

> Y'know, you don't exactly make yourself look good by asking such a
> stupid question.

When I asked "What would be the point...", I assumed that there might be
some practical point to it (other than dutifully throwing the control
switch of an electric blanket into the "electricals" container).

But you and others have confirmed that there is no real practical point
to it (as opposed to using the dustbin or the recycling container) -
it's just a fun run. There's nothing wrong with that in principle.

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:21:25 -0000 someone who may be "PK"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>What on earth is a "special uplift" - do they perhaps mean "special
>collection"

No, they mean a special uplift. It is a term used in various
contexts in Scotland.

Incidentally many "American" words, phrases and pronunciations,
which English purists turn their toes up at, originated in Scotland.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Clive George wrote:

>>> Well, yes... but limited to dumping what one can lift, carry, drag, etc.
>>> You might as well just drop it in a litter bin.

>> You don't have a clue how much people can carry, do you - whether it be
>> on foot or on a human-powered vehicle.

> I know how much *I* can carry - and how much I am prepared to countenance
> my family carrying. For the amounts involved, we would not go the
> recycling centre on foot (it's way too far for a start). We could, of
> course, carry even less on a bicycle than on foot.

Well, people less disabled than you can carry rather more on a bike than on
foot - should be obvious to all but the most blinkered that given a suitable
surface, it's going to be the case, since the bike takes the weight. I
believe the vietcong demonstrated it to great effect...

clive

In article <[email protected]>,
JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

> Why not just leave it out for the recycling collection or put in the
> bin? The stuff you "tip" goes to the same place as the contents of th bin.

There are quite a few things that the bin men won't collect. If they
spot them, they leave them in garden when removing the rest of the
rubbish. Bloody annoying it is, too.

--
Sara

The teeth are free at last! Fly free, young teethies!

David Hansen wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:21:25 -0000 someone who may be "PK"
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>> What on earth is a "special uplift" - do they perhaps mean "special
>> collection"

> No, they mean a special uplift. It is a term used in various
> contexts in Scotland.
>
> Incidentally many "American" words, phrases and pronunciations,
> which English purists turn their toes up at, originated in Scotland.

And you're boasting about it?

Clive George wrote:
> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Clive George wrote:

>>> You don't have a clue how much people can carry, do you - whether it
>>> be on foot or on a human-powered vehicle.

>> I know how much *I* can carry - and how much I am prepared to
>> countenance my family carrying. For the amounts involved, we would not
>> go the recycling centre on foot (it's way too far for a start). We
>> could, of course, carry even less on a bicycle than on foot.

> Well, people less disabled than you can carry rather more on a bike than
> on foot - should be obvious to all but the most blinkered that given a
> suitable surface, it's going to be the case, since the bike takes the
> weight. I believe the vietcong demonstrated it to great effect...

I see.

So they didn't follow the rules of the road, either.

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Clive George wrote:
>> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> I know how much *I* can carry - and how much I am prepared to
>>> countenance my family carrying. For the amounts involved, we would not
>>> go the recycling centre on foot (it's way too far for a start). We
>>> could, of course, carry even less on a bicycle than on foot.

>> Well, people less disabled than you can carry rather more on a bike than
>> on foot - should be obvious to all but the most blinkered that given a
>> suitable surface, it's going to be the case, since the bike takes the
>> weight. I believe the vietcong demonstrated it to great effect...

> I see.
>
> So they didn't follow the rules of the road, either.

Blimey, you're being a bit bizarre today. Why choose to assume that the
rules of the road aren't being followed?

clive

Clive George wrote:
> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Clive George wrote:
>>> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Well, people less disabled than you can carry rather more on a bike
>>> than on foot - should be obvious to all but the most blinkered that
>>> given a suitable surface, it's going to be the case, since the bike
>>> takes the weight. I believe the vietcong demonstrated it to great
>>> effect...

>> I see.
>> So they didn't follow the rules of the road, either.

> Blimey, you're being a bit bizarre today. Why choose to assume that the
> rules of the road aren't being followed?

You surprise me. Do the rules about overloading a vehicle not apply to
bikes? I can carry when walking more than I could balance - safely - on
a bike.

But so what? The facilities we are discussing were created in order that
people can bring to them the household waste that they cannot put in the
bin or the recycling box and which might otherwise have to be collected
(whether FOC in the case of enlightened councils or subject to a charge
in the case of the poorer ones). That means (in the main) larger and
more bulky items which are convenient to carry in a motor vehicle.

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Clive George wrote:
>> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> I see.
>>> So they didn't follow the rules of the road, either.

>> Blimey, you're being a bit bizarre today. Why choose to assume that the
>> rules of the road aren't being followed?

> You surprise me. Do the rules about overloading a vehicle not apply to
> bikes? I can carry when walking more than I could balance - safely - on a
> bike.

Can you happily carry a full 13kg gas cylinder for any distance? That's a
steel cylinder, total weight around 30kg. Our cooker runs on these, and
refills are obtained by riding a bike to the gas supplier. Perfectly safe,
obviously perfectly legal.

Of course if you don't know how to load a bike and what devices are
available to help with loads, then you'll obviously be at a disadvantage in
this discussion - so why participate in it?

> But so what? The facilities we are discussing were created in order that
> people can bring to them the household waste that they cannot put in the
> bin or the recycling box and which might otherwise have to be collected
> (whether FOC in the case of enlightened councils or subject to a charge in
> the case of the poorer ones). That means (in the main) larger and more
> bulky items which are convenient to carry in a motor vehicle.

Our plastic recycling goes by bike too. As does old motor-oil, car
batteries, etc.

Just because you don't believe it can be done, doesn't make it so. And given
the NG we're posting in, it's a bit odd that you profess to have more
knowledge than others here about stuff relevant to the NG, since you don't
appear to do anything relevant to it at all.

clive