Waitrose Trailers

POHB

Guest
The new Waitrose supermarket in West Ealing opened in September with a
scheme to promote cycling. It has 15 cycle trailers which customers can use
to take their shopping home. The trailers are free for three days, and
anyone with a Waitrose / John Lewis store card can borrow them. A member of
Waitrose's staff will fix a bracket to the seat post of your bike, and then
you attach the trailer to this. If you use a trailer regularly, they will
provide a permanent bracket.

http://www.ealingcycling.org.uk/SubjectPages/NewsLetter/NewsOct05.html#Oct05/1

They look useless. How many beer crates could you get in one?

Waitrose isn't like Lidl you know. You don't buy crates of beer, you select
hand-crafted bottles from an individually chosen organic collection of
premium ales.

news:[email protected]...

POHB wrote:
> Waitrose isn't like Lidl you know. You don't buy crates of beer, you select
> hand-crafted bottles from an individually chosen organic collection of
> premium ales.
>

> "sothach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > They look useless. How many beer crates could you get in one?

They do look a bit twee. I certainly couldn't fit my weekly shop in
one.

Two maybe at a stretch. What is the loading rated for?

...d

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 14:02:42 +0100 someone who may be "POHB"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>The new Waitrose supermarket in West Ealing opened in September with a
>scheme to promote cycling. It has 15 cycle trailers which customers can use
>to take their shopping home.

It has been introduced elsewhere, no idea how successful it was. The
trailers are Bike Hods.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

On 4 Oct 2005 06:25:29 -0700 someone who may be "sothach"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>They look useless.

Do they?

>How many beer crates could you get in one?

Three easily.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

>>How many beer crates could you get in one?
> Three easily.

60kg/132lb then? Not a good idea with a high-mount drawbar.

On 4 Oct 2005 07:09:35 -0700 someone who may be "David Martin"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>They do look a bit twee. I certainly couldn't fit my weekly shop in
>one.

Without a long discussion about your particular circumstances that
does not advance the discussion much.

Read for yourself at http://www.bikehod.com/

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 14:46:46 +0100, POHB wrote:

> Waitrose isn't like Lidl you know. You don't buy crates of beer, you
> select hand-crafted bottles from an individually chosen organic collection
> of premium ales.

Hmmm, the one in Noomarket had cases of Fosters and Harp piled high this
afternoon. Their own=brand "Wessex Bitter" is what I haul home, together
with a few bottles of Spitfire (for special occasions only, such as sunset ;-).

Mike

POHB wrote:
> A member of
> Waitrose's staff will fix a bracket to the seat post of your bike, and then
> you attach the trailer to this. If you use a trailer regularly, they will
> provide a permanent bracket.
>
> http://www.ealingcycling.org.uk/SubjectPages/NewsLetter/NewsOct05.html#Oct05/1

I'd like to see them try fitting a bracket to my seatpost :)

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)

Danny Colyer wrote:
> POHB wrote:
>> A member of Waitrose's staff will fix a bracket to the seat post of
>> your bike, and then you attach the trailer to this. If you use a
>> trailer regularly, they will provide a permanent bracket.
>>
>> http://www.ealingcycling.org.uk/SubjectPages/NewsLetter/NewsOct05.html#Oct05/1

Tempting to buy a bit of chocolate and use the trailer for a couple of
days to move bike spares around!

Three days is long enough to build up a shopping list for when you go
back, so that's astute of them.

What bugs me is that neither the borough cycling officer nor Ealing
Cycling Campaign were consulted about the idea before the scheme started.

Colin McKenzie

David Hansen wrote:
> On 4 Oct 2005 07:09:35 -0700 someone who may be "David Martin"
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
> >They do look a bit twee. I certainly couldn't fit my weekly shop in
> >one.

> Without a long discussion about your particular circumstances that
> does not advance the discussion much.

Doesn't need much discussion. Last trip I did with the trailer was five
curver boxes and a couple of loose bits (1 mop and a couple of
baguettes.) I typically take a stack of 6 crates with me when I go
shopping which seems to work just fine.

> >Two maybe at a stretch. What is the loading rated for?

> Read for yourself at http://www.bikehod.com/

ta. 40 kg, which is a good chunk of weight. Should be little problem on
a seatpost mount at sensible speeds.

...d

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> POHB wrote:
>> Waitrose isn't like Lidl you know. You don't buy crates of beer, you
>> select
>> hand-crafted bottles from an individually chosen organic collection of
>> premium ales.
>>

>> "sothach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > They look useless. How many beer crates could you get in one?

> They do look a bit twee. I certainly couldn't fit my weekly shop in
> one.
>
> Two maybe at a stretch. What is the loading rated for?

Is it *legal* to pull two trailers with a pushbike? Would Waitrose let you
have two?

ian henden wrote:
> "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > POHB wrote:
> >> Waitrose isn't like Lidl you know. You don't buy crates of beer, you
> >> select
> >> hand-crafted bottles from an individually chosen organic collection of
> >> premium ales.
> >>

> >> "sothach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> > They do look a bit twee. I certainly couldn't fit my weekly shop in
> > one.
> >
> > Two maybe at a stretch. What is the loading rated for?
> >

> Is it *legal* to pull two trailers with a pushbike? Would Waitrose let you
> have two?

No idea, and I don't intend to try. I have a suitable trailer already.

...d

in message <[email protected]>, POHB
('[email protected]') wrote:

> The new Waitrose supermarket in West Ealing opened in September with a
> scheme to promote cycling. It has 15 cycle trailers which customers can
> use to take their shopping home. The trailers are free for three days,
> and anyone with a Waitrose / John Lewis store card can borrow them. A
> member of Waitrose's staff will fix a bracket to the seat post of your
> bike, and then you attach the trailer to this. If you use a trailer
> regularly, they will provide a permanent bracket.

http://www.ealingcycling.org.uk/SubjectPages/NewsLetter/NewsOct05.html#Oct05/1

That's a Bike Hod. I used to use one myself - an excellent trailer for
just this purpose.

Congratulations to them!

Ye hypocrites! are these your pranks? To murder men and give God thanks?
Desist, for shame! Proceed no further: God won't accept your thanks for
murther
-- Roburt Burns, 'Thanksgiving For a National Victory'

>> 60kg/132lb then? Not a good idea with a high-mount
>> drawbar.

>Used to have one, used it for twelve years. No problem, apart
> from very high-speed (>40mph) corners. For urban shopping,
> an ideal solution.

My first child trailer had a high-mount drawbar (the old Hebie one),
and it never felt very stable cornering, even at much less than 40mph,
but particularly on downhill hairpins. But the thing I really didn't
like was the way it would lift the back wheel off the ground when
braking.

Since got a new trailer with a side-mount, and it feels a brazillion
times better, except for a slight tendancy to slide the rear wheel in a
fast turn, but not enough to make me shell out for Weber over-run
trailer brakes.
-rory

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 05:08:31 GMT someone who may be "ian henden"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Is it *legal* to pull two trailers with a pushbike?

The basis of law in the UK is that if it is not illegal then that is
that. I have not noticed any laws preventing the towing of more than
one trailer and I probably would know if there were. One would have
to consider what weight was being carried in order to get up and
down hills. Snaking would not be a problem due to the design of the
coupling, provided that one had a sensible load in the trailers.

>Would Waitrose let you have two?

Bike Hod used to do a special towing arm that had a coupling on the
back so that one could tow more than one trailer. There was a
photograph of six being towed. That special arm is not now on their
rather too corporate for my liking web site.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.