Wakefield/Normanton Routes??

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Cupra, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. Cupra

    Cupra Guest

    Anybody know of any good 20-30 mile routes around the = Wakefield/Normanton area?? Going to be up
    there for a week working and = I'm taking my bike!

    ---

  2. Temp3st

    Temp3st Guest

    "Cupra" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    Anybody know of any good 20-30 mile routes around the Wakefield/Normanton area?? Going to be up
    there for a week working and I'm taking my bike!

    ---

    Shed loads - just get a map and head out on the denby dale road - choice is yours.

    Hope you like hills though ;)

  3. Sam Salt

    Sam Salt Guest

    Hello, Bit of a black hole as far as on road facilities go.You can get onto the Trans Pennine Trail
    which passes near Normanton.There is a branch to Leeds where you can get onto the Aire Valley
    Towpath route and ride as far as Skipton I think.Only been as far as Apperley Bridge myself.You
    could always get the train back from the other end if you don't want to retrace your route.
    http://www.airevalleytowpath.org.uk/

    http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/

    If you want to go more on road and up into the Pennines then buy OS Sheets 110 and 104 and there are
    loads of " yellow roads " to follow, though as someone else has said it is a bit hilly.Unfortunately
    for most on road rides there is the 'town' bit to do before you get to any decent quiet lanes.One
    route I am going to do myself this week is to catch a train out to Marsden ( t'other side of
    Huddersfield ) and cycle back,its about 35 miles or so mostly on quiet lanes.

    Sam Salt

    Cupra wrote:
    > Anybody know of any good 20-30 mile routes around the Wakefield/Normanton area?? Going to be up
    > there for a week working and I'm taking my bike!
    >

    > ---

    ---

  4. "Cupra" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    Anybody know of any good 20-30 mile routes around the Wakefield/Normanton area?? Going to be up
    there for a week working and I'm taking my bike!

    If you like modern sculpture then work out a route to West Bretton and the Yorkshire Sculpture Park,
    just to the south west of Wakefield. I cycled there from Leeds today : Transpennine trail -> Stanley
    -> Walton -> Hall Green -> Wolley Edge. Wonderful sculptures but I couldn't help thinking that some
    of the pieces would look much better in my garden. Hmmm.

    ---

  5. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

  6. Sam Salt

    Sam Salt Guest

    Unfortunately many of these routes leave a lot to be desired.They were ridden and mapped mainly to
    show how crap the cycling provision in Wakefield is and succeeded.

    Sam Salt

    > "Cupra" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anybody know of any good 20-30 mile routes around the Wakefield/Normanton area?? Going to be up
    > there for a week working and I'm taking my bike!
    >
    > There you go! http://cycle.stormloader.com/routes.htm
    >
    > --
    > Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

    ---

  7. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Unfortunately many of these routes leave a lot to be desired.They were ridden and mapped mainly to
    > show how crap the cycling provision in
    Wakefield
    > is and succeeded.

    Agreed, but you can see the roads next to them ;-) Simon

  8. Cupra

    Cupra Guest

    Cupra wrote:
    > Anybody know of any good 20-30 mile routes around the Wakefield/Normanton area?? Going to be up
    > there for a week working and I'm taking my bike! =20
    >=20 20
    > ---

    Thanks for the suggestions.... going back up there next week again - = hopefully the good weather
    won't break (seeing as it's the BH week!)

    ---