Wal-Mart sued for improperly assembled bicycle

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:
> In Canada a cyclist is a VEHICLE, but not a motor vehicle, and is
> bound by ALL "rules of the road".
> Only kids under a certain age, on bikes under a certain size are
> allowed to ride on the sidewalk (by bylaw in some towns/cities) - and
> ALL cyclists are required to dismount if using a crosswalk. That's the
> LAW - at least here in Ontario.

Cities here actually encourage sidewalk driving. There are two "side
paths" near me.

It's cheaper to tell people to ride on a sidewalk than to improve the
roads for bicycles (as in widen or add bike lanes). In one case the city
removed asphalt and replaced it with specially made rough brick, then
widened one sidewalk. This means that cyclists will be riding against
traffic, on the sidewalk, which local studies show cause more crashes
than any other single factor.

The regional planning council will not recognize these sidepaths as
usable for bicycles, but the cities do.

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 23:51:46 -0700, "* * Chas"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"still just me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:53:04 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>What about hot pizza? Bubbling hot melted cheese on top of a pizza can
>certainly burn the roof of your mouth, tongue, lips and throat. Do you see
>warning signs in pizzerias? What part of hot didn't you learn as a child?

I don't know of many cases of third degree burns from hot pizza. I'm
sure it's possible, but the pizza usually cools very rapidly once
removed from the oven. Coffee, OTOH, is sold in a cup designed to
preserve the temperature for as long as possible.

Mc's could have easily served the coffee at a temperature that was
slightly lower where it would burn mouths still, but have a much
lesser effect on bare skin. They knew of the problem/issue and chose
not to. They gambled incorrectly.

Instead of simply noting "whoops, someone is in the hospital, we'd
better take note and turn the burners down a bit", they continued to
serve the coffee at scalding temperatures. Corporate stupidity is
rarely countered by anything but monetary loss.

>Most microwavable foods have warnings about possible injuries caused by
>heat or steam.

>The question is how actively should we protect people from themselves? I
>used to go to Europe for 2-3 weeks at a time on business. When I would
>return to the US I was always amazed at the large number of rules and
>regulations designed to protect us (US) from ourselves.
>
>The US is the most litigatious culture in the world. I believe in strongly
>prosecuting companies and individuals who consciously market defective
>goods or services but a reasonable amount of common sense needs to
>prevail.

I agree - but the vendor has a responsibility to observe common sense
too. In this case McDonalds had many complaints of burns and knowingly
chose to ignore them. They failed to use that common sense.

>Chas.

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:28:28 -0400, clare at snyder dot ontario dot
canada wrote:

>Hot tea and hot coffee in drivethroughs is the HEIGHT of stupidity.
>Kinda like the Braille on drivethrough cash machines.

So companies that sell burning hot beverages at a drive through should
be responsible for their stupidity?

"still just me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:28:28 -0400, clare at snyder dot ontario dot
> canada wrote:
>
> >Hot tea and hot coffee in drivethroughs is the HEIGHT of stupidity.
> >Kinda like the Braille on drivethrough cash machines.

> So companies that sell burning hot beverages at a drive through should
> be responsible for their stupidity?

I don't know if it is still the case but you used to be able to buy beer
in 6 packs at drive through windows in Oklahoma and parts of Texas???

Chas.

"still just me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 23:51:46 -0700, "* * Chas"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"still just me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:53:04 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
> >> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>

> >What about hot pizza? Bubbling hot melted cheese on top of a pizza can
> >certainly burn the roof of your mouth, tongue, lips and throat. Do you

see
> >warning signs in pizzerias? What part of hot didn't you learn as a

child?

> I don't know of many cases of third degree burns from hot pizza. I'm
> sure it's possible, but the pizza usually cools very rapidly once
> removed from the oven. Coffee, OTOH, is sold in a cup designed to
> preserve the temperature for as long as possible.
>
> Mc's could have easily served the coffee at a temperature that was
> slightly lower where it would burn mouths still, but have a much
> lesser effect on bare skin. They knew of the problem/issue and chose
> not to. They gambled incorrectly.
>
> Instead of simply noting "whoops, someone is in the hospital, we'd
> better take note and turn the burners down a bit", they continued to
> serve the coffee at scalding temperatures. Corporate stupidity is
> rarely countered by anything but monetary loss.
>
> >Most microwavable foods have warnings about possible injuries caused by
> >heat or steam.

> >The question is how actively should we protect people from themselves?

> >used to go to Europe for 2-3 weeks at a time on business. When I would
> >return to the US I was always amazed at the large number of rules and
> >regulations designed to protect us (US) from ourselves.
> >
> >The US is the most litigatious culture in the world. I believe in

strongly
> >prosecuting companies and individuals who consciously market defective
> >goods or services but a reasonable amount of common sense needs to
> >prevail.

> I agree - but the vendor has a responsibility to observe common sense
> too. In this case McDonalds had many complaints of burns and knowingly
> chose to ignore them. They failed to use that common sense.
> >
> >Chas.

Litigation is trying to accomplish what millions of years of evolution
hasn't been able to do. There are many folks walking around today who
would have been saber tooth cat chow back in the day... :cool:

Chas.

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:05:53 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>Dear Clare,
>
>Many blind people get rides from friends, relatives, and taxis and
>enjoy the convenience of using drive-through cash machines as
>passengers even more than you and I do.
>
>Naturally, they don't want to tell taxi drivers their PINs.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Carl Fogel

On the DRIVER'S SIDE?

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:10:43 -0400, Eric Vey <[email protected]>
wrote:

>clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:
>> In Canada a cyclist is a VEHICLE, but not a motor vehicle, and is
>> bound by ALL "rules of the road".
>> Only kids under a certain age, on bikes under a certain size are
>> allowed to ride on the sidewalk (by bylaw in some towns/cities) - and
>> ALL cyclists are required to dismount if using a crosswalk. That's the
>> LAW - at least here in Ontario.

>Cities here actually encourage sidewalk driving. There are two "side
>paths" near me.
>
>It's cheaper to tell people to ride on a sidewalk than to improve the
>roads for bicycles (as in widen or add bike lanes). In one case the city
>removed asphalt and replaced it with specially made rough brick, then
>widened one sidewalk. This means that cyclists will be riding against
>traffic, on the sidewalk, which local studies show cause more crashes
>than any other single factor.
>
>The regional planning council will not recognize these sidepaths as
>usable for bicycles, but the cities do.

Another case of "intelligent politicians".

On Jun 20, 1:13 pm, clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:05:53 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
> >Dear Clare,

> >Many blind people get rides from friends, relatives, and taxis and
> >enjoy the convenience of using drive-through cash machines as
> >passengers even more than you and I do.

> >Naturally, they don't want to tell taxi drivers their PINs.

> >Cheers,

> >Carl Fogel

> On the DRIVER'S SIDE?

Most cars, and probably all taxis, also have a passenger seat on the
'driver's side' of the car. And if the blind person is being driven
to a bank or other business where the drive-through access is only to
the driver's side of the vehicle then I'd assume they would choose to
sit behind the driver so they can access the service.

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:38:34 -0700 (PDT), peter <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Jun 20, 1:13 pm, clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:05:53 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
>> >Dear Clare,

>> >Many blind people get rides from friends, relatives, and taxis and
>> >enjoy the convenience of using drive-through cash machines as
>> >passengers even more than you and I do.

>> >Naturally, they don't want to tell taxi drivers their PINs.

>> >Cheers,

>> >Carl Fogel

>> On the DRIVER'S SIDE?

>Most cars, and probably all taxis, also have a passenger seat on the
>'driver's side' of the car. And if the blind person is being driven
>to a bank or other business where the drive-through access is only to
>the driver's side of the vehicle then I'd assume they would choose to
>sit behind the driver so they can access the service.

Dear Peter,

That's what my blind client does.

I suppose that a two-seater would be awkward, but most four-door
sedans work fine.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:08:21 -0700, "* * Chas"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I don't know if it is still the case but you used to be able to buy beer
>in 6 packs at drive through windows in Oklahoma and parts of Texas???
>
>Chas.

NH puts state liquor stores on the highway as featured attractions -
but it's illegal there for a performer to drink on stage.

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:50:03 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>That's what my blind client does.
>
>I suppose that a two-seater would be awkward, but most four-door
>sedans work fine.
>
>Cheers,

As long as the blind clients aren't driving, I think it's all OK.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:38:34 -0700 (PDT), peter <[email protected]>
> wrote:

>>> On the DRIVER'S SIDE?

>>Most cars, and probably all taxis, also have a passenger seat on the
>>'driver's side' of the car. And if the blind person is being driven
>>to a bank or other business where the drive-through access is only to
>>the driver's side of the vehicle then I'd assume they would choose to
>>sit behind the driver so they can access the service.

> Dear Peter,
>
> That's what my blind client does.
>
> I suppose that a two-seater would be awkward, but most four-door
> sedans work fine.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

A two seater simply approaches the ATM from the opposite direction. It only
becomes an issue if there is a line to use the ATM. If a car approached
conventionally while the blind passenger is operating the ATM, the driver
just backs out when finished. This occurs more often than you realize,
regardless whether the passenger using the ATM is blind or fully able.

On Jun 19, 9:17 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> Incidentally, it's quite easy to google for tea + lawsuit + scalding
> and discover that tea drinkers sue, too, when tea handed to them in
> drive-throughs spills and gives them severe burns:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=tea+lawsuit+scalding&as_epq=&...

And I disagree with those frivolous lawsuits as well.

What's next? "Consumer sues matchbook company. Burning match claimed
to be too hot"?

- Frank Krygowski

On Jun 20, 11:19 am, still just me <[email protected]> wrote:

> I don't know of many cases of third degree burns from hot pizza. I'm
> sure it's possible, but the pizza usually cools very rapidly once
> removed from the oven. Coffee, OTOH, is sold in a cup designed to
> preserve the temperature for as long as possible.

FWIW, I know a person who sat down to a plate of hot pasta, took in a
large mouthful, and badly scalded the roof of her mouth. She did
visit an ER for the injury. But she never considered suing. She just
accepted her responsibility for the incident. Which is, I believe,
what most people do.

She was in Europe at the time, although I don't think the distance
from predatory American lawyers was a factor. Rather, it was her
sense of personal responsibility.

> Mc's could have easily served the coffee at a temperature that was
> slightly lower where it would burn mouths still, but have a much
> lesser effect on bare skin. They knew of the problem/issue and chose
> not to. They gambled incorrectly.
>
> Instead of simply noting "whoops, someone is in the hospital, we'd
> better take note and turn the burners down a bit", they continued to
> serve the coffee at scalding temperatures. Corporate stupidity is
> rarely countered by anything but monetary loss.

By your logic, my "ladies balancing pots of hot tea on their floppy
hats" should also lead a teahouse to say "whoops, someone is in the
hospital. We should serve only tepid instant tea."

Perhaps it's time for the human race to move completely away from
cooked foods? Perhaps we can't handle the risk!

- Frank Krygowski

On Jun 20, 11:19 am, still just me <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:28:28 -0400, clare at snyder dot ontario dot
>
> canada wrote:
> >Hot tea and hot coffee in drivethroughs is the HEIGHT of stupidity.
> >Kinda like the Braille on drivethrough cash machines.

> So companies that sell burning hot beverages at a drive through should
> be responsible for their stupidity?

For the record, I wouldn't mind seeing drive-throughs abolished. Get
out of you blasted car. And don't try to handle hot foods inside it.
Your car is not a dining table.

Pay attention to your driving.

- Frank Krygowski

On Jun 20, 12:08 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "still just me" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...
>
> > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:28:28 -0400, clare at snyder dot ontario dot
> > canada wrote:

> > >Hot tea and hot coffee in drivethroughs is the HEIGHT of stupidity.
> > >Kinda like the Braille on drivethrough cash machines.

> > So companies that sell burning hot beverages at a drive through should
> > be responsible for their stupidity?

> I don't know if it is still the case but you used to be able to buy beer
> in 6 packs at drive through windows in Oklahoma and parts of Texas???

You can do that in Ohio.

- Frank Krygowski

"Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Perhaps it's time for the human race to move completely away from
> cooked foods? Perhaps we can't handle the risk!

I think that's what they want. What do you think Frank, should be open a
Tepid Food Parlor?

"* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

> "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > Perhaps it's time for the human race to move completely away from
>> > cooked foods? Perhaps we can't handle the risk!

>> I think that's what they want. What do you think Frank, should be open a
>> Tepid Food Parlor?
>>

> http://www.hsegroup.com/hse/text/cowboy.htm

I think we're on the same wavelength Chas.

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 11:19:18 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
<[email protected]> wrote:

>FWIW, I know a person who sat down to a plate of hot pasta, took in a
>large mouthful, and badly scalded the roof of her mouth. She did
>visit an ER for the injury. But she never considered suing. She just
>accepted her responsibility for the incident. Which is, I believe,
>what most people do.

Was the pasta at 160 degrees? Did she have $10,000 in medical bills as
a result?