Wal-Mart's Multipurpose Bicycle Tool a Rip

Nomen Nescio

Guest
A dog collided with my kid's bike and the rear wheel got thrown out of
shape. So, I went to Wal-Mart to buy a spoke wrench for a buck and all
they have is this made in china multipurpose pocket tool that does 18
different things and costs a whopping $12.89.

$12.89 for a made in china swiss knife for bikes and the spoke wrenches are
nothing more than stamped out open end wrenches. Wal-Mart is trying to rip
me off when all I need is one lousey wrench and all they sell is a cheap,
inferior, chinese made junk multitool. Thats adding insult to injury, pure
and simple.

A proper made spoke wrench should be a forged steel wrench with a flare-nut
wrench pattern that grips four corners of the spoke nut, not the two of an
open end.

I bet that $12.89 doesn't cost Wal-Mart two bucks, if that much. Its pure
profit for those greedy corporate right wingers if you are a sucker enough
to buy it.

I want to know how Wal-Mart can sell a complete high quality bike for $40
and then turn around to sell you this simple pocket junk tool for almost
1/3 as much as for that high quality bike? Their nuts.

Nomen Nescio writes:

> A dog collided with my kid's bike and the rear wheel got thrown out
> of shape. So, I went to Wal-Mart to buy a spoke wrench for a buck
> and all they have is this made in china multipurpose pocket tool
> that does 18 different things and costs a whopping $12.89.

I think your child collided with the dog and that caused a crash.
So why do you shop at Wal-Mart for such things?

> $12.89 for a made in china swiss knife for bikes and the spoke
> wrenches are nothing more than stamped out open end wrenches.
> Wal-Mart is trying to rip me off when all I need is one lousy
> wrench and all they sell is a cheap, inferior, Chinese made junk
> multi-tool. Thats adding insult to injury, pure and simple.

> A proper made spoke wrench should be a forged steel wrench with a
> flare-nut wrench pattern that grips four corners of the spoke nut,
> not the two of an open end.

Good spoke wrenches are sold at bicycle shops.

> I bet that $12.89 doesn't cost Wal-Mart two bucks, if that much.
> Its pure profit for those greedy corporate right wingers if you are
> a sucker enough to buy it.

So why do you shop at Wal-Mart for such things?

> I want to know how Wal-Mart can sell a complete high quality bike
> for $40 and then turn around to sell you this simple pocket junk
> tool for almost 1/3 as much as for that high quality bike? Their
> nuts.

They can't. What you didn't notice yet is that you didn't get a "high
quality bike". The quality will become apparent with use.

Jobst Brandt

In article <[email protected]>, Nomen Nescio
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I want to know how Wal-Mart can sell a complete high quality bike for $40
> and then turn around to sell you this simple pocket junk tool for almost
> 1/3 as much as for that high quality bike? Their nuts.

They're not the only ones if you actually believe what you're buying
for $40 qualifies as 'high quality'.

Luke

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 22:30:21 +0100, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> $12.89 for a made in china swiss knife for bikes and the spoke wrenches are
> nothing more than stamped out open end wrenches. Wal-Mart is trying to rip
> me off when all I need is one lousey wrench and all they sell is a cheap,
> inferior, chinese made junk multitool. Thats adding insult to injury, pure
> and simple.

Serves you right for thinking you could get bike tools at Wall-Mart.

> I want to know how Wal-Mart can sell a complete high quality bike for $40

It can't

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. --
_`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

Nomen Nescio wrote:

> I want to know how Wal-Mart can sell a complete high quality bike for $40

They can't - not with those adjectives.

> Their nuts.

What about them? Are they rounded?

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 22:30:21 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I want to know how Wal-Mart can sell a complete high quality bike for $40

Umm, not to put too fine a point on it, they don't. There are those
who would even quibble about the statement after the words
"high-quality" were removed. Wal-Mart's bikes are what can be
supplied for the amount that the low-price consumer wants to pay for a
bike. Some of them are of a level of technology similar to what was
considered good stuff forty to fifty years ago, but few are at the
level of quality that is low-end average for a bike shop.

This does not mean that they're utter ****. Many people buy and use
them with good results. But that doesn't mean that they're
high-quality bikes; lots of people drove Yugos, but it didn't make
them good cars.

>and then turn around to sell you this simple pocket junk tool for almost
>1/3 as much as for that high quality bike? Their nuts.

Well, multitools sold at bike shops sometimes have a questionable
level of utility, too. However, as I suspect that you're referring to
an item made by Bell, I will merely point out that Bell's reputation
for quality in bike accessories and parts is exceeded by nearly all of
their other known attributes. (The same goes for many of the
recognizable brands at Wal-Mart.)

There are times when the wise move is to grab a small good-quality
adjustable wrench. It appears that this would have been one of them.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

"Nomen Nescio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A dog collided with my kid's bike and the rear wheel got thrown out of
> shape. So, I went to Wal-Mart to buy a spoke wrench for a buck and all
> they have is this made in china multipurpose pocket tool that does 18
> different things and costs a whopping $12.89.
>
> $12.89 for a made in china swiss knife for bikes and the spoke wrenches
> are
> nothing more than stamped out open end wrenches. Wal-Mart is trying to
> rip
> me off when all I need is one lousey wrench and all they sell is a cheap,
> inferior, chinese made junk multitool. Thats adding insult to injury,
> pure
> and simple.
>
> A proper made spoke wrench should be a forged steel wrench with a
> flare-nut
> wrench pattern that grips four corners of the spoke nut, not the two of an
> open end.
>
> I bet that $12.89 doesn't cost Wal-Mart two bucks, if that much. Its pure
> profit for those greedy corporate right wingers if you are a sucker enough
> to buy it.
>
>(clip) I want to know how Wal-Mart can sell a complete high quality bike
>for $40 and then turn around to sell you this simple pocket junk tool for
>almost 1/3 as much as for that high quality bike? Their nuts.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What puzzles me is how you can write such a sincere, angry post, then lapse
into *sarcasm mode* ("complete high quality bike") for four words, and then
lapse back to your former angry mode, fail to grasp your own sarcasm, and
believe it literally.

Without seeing the multitool, I can't judge its quality, but I need to point
out that the price is not out of line for that type of tool. I've seen them
in bike shops for as much as $30. Generally, the spoke wrenches in
multitools ride "piggyback" on other stamped wrenches--this is done for
weight saving and compactness. They are not intended for shop use, but I
consider them perfectly adequate for roadside repairs.

Nomen Nescio wrote:
> A dog collided with my kid's bike and the rear wheel got thrown out of
> shape. So, I went to Wal-Mart to buy a spoke wrench for a buck and all
> they have is this made in china multipurpose pocket tool that does 18
> different things and costs a whopping $12.89.

Last Park spoke wrench I bought cost about $12.89.

-Nate

On 4 Feb 2006 17:52:28 -0800, "Llatikcuf" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Nomen Nescio wrote:
>> A dog collided with my kid's bike and the rear wheel got thrown out of
>> shape. So, I went to Wal-Mart to buy a spoke wrench for a buck and all
>> they have is this made in china multipurpose pocket tool that does 18
>> different things and costs a whopping $12.89.
>>

>Last Park spoke wrench I bought cost about $12.89.

You was robbed.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Nomen Nescio <[email protected]> wrote:

[some words]

All of you who have replied so far to this troll, you have been had by
the master. The person who masquerades as Nomen Nescio (just think
about what his name means) does similar inflammatory postings all over
Usenet.

Lately he's been bothering people over at rec.motorcycles.tech, and now
he has begun with the same ******** here as well.

Soon he will give authoritative advice which can sound good at first
gloss, but which is actually ill-informed and sometimes downright
dangerous.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Go away, "Nomen".

--
Ted Bennett

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 03:02:31 GMT, Ted Bennett
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Nomen Nescio <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [some words]
>

>All of you who have replied so far to this troll, you have been had by
>the master. The person who masquerades as Nomen Nescio (just think
>about what his name means) does similar inflammatory postings all over
>Usenet.
>
>Lately he's been bothering people over at rec.motorcycles.tech, and now
>he has begun with the same ******** here as well.
>
>Soon he will give authoritative advice which can sound good at first
>gloss, but which is actually ill-informed and sometimes downright
>dangerous.
>
>Don't say I didn't warn you.

[facepalm] D'oh!

This time the plonk is *not* going to have a time limit.
--

Ted Bennett wrote:
> Nomen Nescio <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [some words]
>

> All of you who have replied so far to this troll, you have been had by
> the master. The person who masquerades as Nomen Nescio (just think
> about what his name means) does similar inflammatory postings all over
> Usenet.
>
> Lately he's been bothering people over at rec.motorcycles.tech, and now
> he has begun with the same ******** here as well.
>
> Soon he will give authoritative advice which can sound good at first
> gloss, but which is actually ill-informed and sometimes downright
> dangerous.
>
> Don't say I didn't warn you.
>
> Go away, "Nomen".

Nomen Nescio is a standard name applied to anonymous postings on usenet.
IIRC dizum.com uses it by default.
It is not one, there are many such faceless masters of baits.

"Nomen Nescio" wrote:
> ...Their nuts.

....will soon be eaten by a squirrel (unless the squirrel gets caught in
a low spoke count "boutique" wheel first).

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Werehatrack wrote:
> On 4 Feb 2006 17:52:28 -0800, "Llatikcuf" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Nomen Nescio wrote:
> >> A dog collided with my kid's bike and the rear wheel got thrown out of
> >> shape. So, I went to Wal-Mart to buy a spoke wrench for a buck and all
> >> they have is this made in china multipurpose pocket tool that does 18
> >> different things and costs a whopping $12.89.
> >>

> >Last Park spoke wrench I bought cost about $12.89.

> You was robbed.

Yea, I know. Pretty typical for the shops around my area though.

-Nate

Ted Bennett wrote:
> Nomen Nescio <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [some words]
>

> All of you who have replied so far to this troll, you have been had by
> the master. The person who masquerades as Nomen Nescio (just think
> about what his name means) does similar inflammatory postings all over
> Usenet.
>
> Lately he's been bothering people over at rec.motorcycles.tech, and now
> he has begun with the same ******** here as well.
>
> Soon he will give authoritative advice which can sound good at first
> gloss, but which is actually ill-informed and sometimes downright
> dangerous.
>
> Don't say I didn't warn you.
>
> Go away, "Nomen".

Nomen should be amen ....