Wales this weekend

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Smudger, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    Went to see family in Cardiff this weekend. Took my Brompton and went out on it for a short ride on
    Saturday. Ended up doing about eighteen miles to Newport then over Caerphilly Mountain back to
    Cardiff. Stopped off at the Holybush in Draethen for a swift pint of Brains bitter to keep me
    going. No problems getting up the hills and overtook some rather astonished looking fellow cyclists
    on the way!

    Tags:

  2. In message <[email protected]>, Smudger <[email protected]> writes
    >Went to see family in Cardiff this weekend. Took my Brompton and went out on it for a short ride on
    >Saturday. Ended up doing about eighteen miles to Newport then over Caerphilly Mountain back to
    >Cardiff. Stopped off at the Holybush in Draethen for a swift pint of Brains bitter to keep me
    >going. No problems getting up the hills and overtook some rather astonished looking fellow cyclists
    >on the way!

    I was in Cardiff this weekend too! I was surprised how many red shirts were on view. There was never
    that extent of patriotism when I lived there. Ran a 10 mile race on Sunday morning followed by ride
    down to Odiham area in afternoon. No Brains pubs round here ;-)
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  3. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In message <[email protected]>, Smudger <[email protected]> writes
    > >Went to see family in Cardiff this weekend. Took my Brompton and went
    out
    > >on it for a short ride on Saturday. Ended up doing about eighteen miles
    > >Newport then over Caerphilly Mountain back to Cardiff. Stopped off at
    the
    > >Holybush in Draethen for a swift pint of Brains bitter to keep me going.
    No
    > >problems getting up the hills and overtook some rather astonished looking fellow cyclists on
    > >the way!
    > >

    > I was in Cardiff this weekend too! I was surprised how many red shirts were on view. There was
    > never that extent of patriotism when I lived there. Ran a 10 mile race on Sunday morning followed
    > by ride down to Odiham area in afternoon. No Brains pubs round here ;-)
    > --
    > Michael MacClancy

    Remeber that there was a Rugby and a Footie international on. There seems to be a lot more people in
    Cardiff since I lived there. I avoided the town on the weekend because of the crowds. I also had a
    pint in the Three Arches. Still the biggest pub in Wales but a sad shadow of its former glory. I
    also noticed the higher percentage of t**t drivers in Cardiff. A mix of doddery old grannies and
    baseball cap wearing yobs.

    I'm off up Odiham way now to make the most of today's weather.

  4. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:51:41 +0100, "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm off up Odiham way now to make the most of today's weather.

    Watch out for those low-flying Chinooks.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  5. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:51:41 +0100, "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm off up Odiham way now to make the most of today's weather.
    > >

    > Watch out for those low-flying Chinooks.
    >
    > James
    >
    > --
    > A credit limit is NOT a target.

    I actually decided to go south through the Candovers instead (I still saw one of those noisy
    helicopters). Did 35 miles or so stopping off to look at the steam trains at Alresford. Saw one
    roadie with all the gear on and he ignored me when I waved. I was going faster than him so perhaps
    he was a bit peeved. Plenty of animals out and about. I saw hares chasing each other on the road
    and there was a plague of pheasants (surely the most stupid animal on this planet) everywhere.
    Lovely day.

  6. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Plenty of animals out and about. I saw hares chasing each other on the road and there was a plague
    > of pheasants (surely the most stupid animal on this planet) everywhere.

    No way, they've got a lot to go to beat the ubiquitous sheep. Pheasants don't see you coming then
    decide to cross in front of you to get out of your way, and they don't run along in front of you
    when simply going to the side would result so much less hassle.

    And they wouldn't hurt nearly so much if it did all go wrong.

    (actually I think car drivers take the award, but that's another rant...)

    cheers, clive

    (mmm, fast descents on roads in sheep country - hope the brakes are up to it!)