Wales this weekend



Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Smudger

Guest
Went to see family in Cardiff this weekend. Took my Brompton and went out on it for a short ride on
Saturday. Ended up doing about eighteen miles to Newport then over Caerphilly Mountain back to
Cardiff. Stopped off at the Holybush in Draethen for a swift pint of Brains bitter to keep me
going. No problems getting up the hills and overtook some rather astonished looking fellow cyclists
on the way!
 
M

Michael Macclan

Guest
In message <[email protected]>, Smudger <[email protected]> writes
>Went to see family in Cardiff this weekend. Took my Brompton and went out on it for a short ride on
>Saturday. Ended up doing about eighteen miles to Newport then over Caerphilly Mountain back to
>Cardiff. Stopped off at the Holybush in Draethen for a swift pint of Brains bitter to keep me
>going. No problems getting up the hills and overtook some rather astonished looking fellow cyclists
>on the way!
>
>

I was in Cardiff this weekend too! I was surprised how many red shirts were on view. There was never
that extent of patriotism when I lived there. Ran a 10 mile race on Sunday morning followed by ride
down to Odiham area in afternoon. No Brains pubs round here ;-)
--
Michael MacClancy
 
S

Smudger

Guest
"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>, Smudger <[email protected]> writes
> >Went to see family in Cardiff this weekend. Took my Brompton and went
out
> >on it for a short ride on Saturday. Ended up doing about eighteen miles
to
> >Newport then over Caerphilly Mountain back to Cardiff. Stopped off at
the
> >Holybush in Draethen for a swift pint of Brains bitter to keep me going.
No
> >problems getting up the hills and overtook some rather astonished looking fellow cyclists on
> >the way!
> >
> >
>
> I was in Cardiff this weekend too! I was surprised how many red shirts were on view. There was
> never that extent of patriotism when I lived there. Ran a 10 mile race on Sunday morning followed
> by ride down to Odiham area in afternoon. No Brains pubs round here ;-)
> --
> Michael MacClancy

Remeber that there was a Rugby and a Footie international on. There seems to be a lot more people in
Cardiff since I lived there. I avoided the town on the weekend because of the crowds. I also had a
pint in the Three Arches. Still the biggest pub in Wales but a sad shadow of its former glory. I
also noticed the higher percentage of t**t drivers in Cardiff. A mix of doddery old grannies and
baseball cap wearing yobs.

I'm off up Odiham way now to make the most of today's weather.
 
J

James Hodson

Guest
On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:51:41 +0100, "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm off up Odiham way now to make the most of today's weather.
>

Watch out for those low-flying Chinooks.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.
 
S

Smudger

Guest
"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:51:41 +0100, "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I'm off up Odiham way now to make the most of today's weather.
> >
>
> Watch out for those low-flying Chinooks.
>
> James
>
> --
> A credit limit is NOT a target.

I actually decided to go south through the Candovers instead (I still saw one of those noisy
helicopters). Did 35 miles or so stopping off to look at the steam trains at Alresford. Saw one
roadie with all the gear on and he ignored me when I waved. I was going faster than him so perhaps
he was a bit peeved. Plenty of animals out and about. I saw hares chasing each other on the road
and there was a plague of pheasants (surely the most stupid animal on this planet) everywhere.
Lovely day.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
"Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Plenty of animals out and about. I saw hares chasing each other on the road and there was a plague
> of pheasants (surely the most stupid animal on this planet) everywhere.

No way, they've got a lot to go to beat the ubiquitous sheep. Pheasants don't see you coming then
decide to cross in front of you to get out of your way, and they don't run along in front of you
when simply going to the side would result so much less hassle.

And they wouldn't hurt nearly so much if it did all go wrong.

(actually I think car drivers take the award, but that's another rant...)

cheers, clive

(mmm, fast descents on roads in sheep country - hope the brakes are up to it!)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.