WalGoose XR-100 for only $150

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by B. Sanders, May 17, 2003.

  1. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    A WalGoose XR-100 sold for $150 today at the local police bike auction. My "heft test" put it at
    about 45lbs. A bike almost exactly like it, but without the decals and fade paintjob, sold for $17
    about 3 minutes before the WalGoose.

    -Barry

    Tags:

  2. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > A WalGoose XR-100 sold for $150 today at the local police bike auction.
    My
    > "heft test" put it at about 45lbs. A bike almost exactly like it, but without the decals and fade
    > paintjob, sold for $17 about 3 minutes before the WalGoose.
    >
    > -Barry

    I've actually had the misfortune of riding the XR-100. It was amazingly bad.

    There was a time you could get them new on Ebay (dealer ready, I assume) for under $150...maybe you
    still can, but I really don't care to look.

    Where are these police auctions you keep talking about? Is there a list or website somewhere that
    would publicize nationwide listings? I want to go buy bikes. Cheap ones.

    Chris (I will build my FS chopper, dammit)

  3. "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...

    > "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > A WalGoose XR-100 sold for $150 today at the local police bike auction.
    > My
    > > "heft test" put it at about 45lbs. A bike almost exactly like it, but without the decals and
    > > fade paintjob, sold for $17 about 3 minutes
    before
    > > the WalGoose.
    > >
    > > -Barry
    > >

    > I've actually had the misfortune of riding the XR-100. It was amazingly bad.
    >
    > There was a time you could get them new on Ebay (dealer ready, I assume)
    for
    > under $150...maybe you still can, but I really don't care to look.
    >
    > Where are these police auctions you keep talking about? Is there a list
    or
    > website somewhere that would publicize nationwide listings? I want to go buy bikes. Cheap ones.

    You can get nice old road bikes here at the university police auctions. Check around for those.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  4. Dp

    Dp Guest

    > Where are these police auctions you keep talking about? Is there a list
    or
    > website somewhere that would publicize nationwide listings? I want to go buy bikes. Cheap ones.

    Probably not what he's talking about but this site is interesting nonetheless.
    http://www.propertyroom.com/

  5. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    news:p[email protected]...

    > "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > A WalGoose XR-100 sold for $150 today at the local police bike auction.
    > My
    > > "heft test" put it at about 45lbs. A bike almost exactly like it, but without the decals and
    > > fade paintjob, sold for $17 about 3 minutes
    before
    > > the WalGoose.

    > I've actually had the misfortune of riding the XR-100. It was amazingly bad.

    I was actually thinking of getting one of these crappy full-suspension bikes to use the rear
    triangle for a recumbent low racer that I've designed. For flat-out speed runs or touring, weight
    isn't as much of an issue. My old M5 Low Racer (the fastest production bicycle in the world) was
    probably 40 lbs, and over 7 feet long. It was one sweeet machine, but a beast to handle. I want to
    build something with suspension, and better handling. Here's the M5 web page for the Low Racer:
    http://www.m5-ligfietsen.com/english/modellen_eng/lowracer.htm

    Check out the carbon version. Wow.

    > There was a time you could get them new on Ebay (dealer ready, I assume)
    for
    > under $150...maybe you still can, but I really don't care to look.

    Right now, the local Wal*Mart has the 2002 Mongoose XR-150 for $99. They have 3 in stock.

    > Where are these police auctions you keep talking about? Is there a list
    or
    > website somewhere that would publicize nationwide listings? I want to go buy bikes. Cheap ones.

    Just about every city police department has bike auctions - probably once or twice a year. Around
    here, we have several: The University of Illinois Police take in a *ton* of bikes, and have two
    auctions a year. The Champaign Police Department also has an auction (where I saw the WalGoose).

    Anyway...if you want bikes real cheap to cut-up and build choppers, recumbents, whatever, a police
    auction is the place to go. Dumpsters are also a great place to find bikes. Check the local
    scrapyards, landfills, etc. Also check local apartment management companies. They frequently cut old
    bikes off of the bike racks and dump 'em. I've taken a load of bikes from a local apartment owner a
    few years back. I hauled 'em home, fixed 'em up and gave 'em away to a local orphanage and the local
    men's shelter. I'd like to do that again.

    -Barry

  6. Fred Hinkson

    Fred Hinkson Guest

    Police Auction you say got the grandson a $600.00 Schwinn BMX Free- style for 35 buck last year. You
    got to know what you looking for. all the kid were wanting Walgoose BMX junk.

    MTB Ride hard die free.