Walk or ride?

On 16 Dec 2004 22:26:14 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:

> GaryG <[email protected]> wrote:
>> so name the course and let's get it on!

> good lord, man, NO PHOTOS **PLEASE**! no report, in fact.

You are just begging for a report now.
Yes Bill and his Huffy do exist.
Wal-mart Mongoose, too.
Schwinn Super Sport in the works.
Motobecane wants parts, where from, who knows?
4 bikes, 2 run, 2 don't, kind of like my cars.

--
Bill (?) Ba_no_shit_ka

news:eek:[email protected]...

wrote:

> > "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:eek:[email protected]...

> > and

> >> Since you asked, yes, it was in jeans, and with an old pair of shoes,
> >> no name sneakers. I had intended to walk to Wal-mart, about 1 mile,
> >> but got diverted when I started to run and liked it, so no lycra.
> >> My "Fast run" is about what those guys keep up for
> >> a mile, where I can do it for only a 100 feet or so at best. My
> >> "Slow run" is a guess of speed since there was less wind in my face
> >> at that point, and my fast jog was down to only a breeze in my face,
> >> at best. My feet don't have a speedometer and there was nobody to
> >> pace me with a bike, not that it would be accurate anyway, since
> >> I only ran each speed a short distance. Come run with me and get
> >> embarrassed by a hyperactive 56 year old.
> >> C'mon, it'll be fun, for me, at least.

> > I don't like to run, but if you want a race on the bike, bring it on!
> >
> > You're in Sacramento, right? I hope to be down there sometime next

month
> > for business, so name the course and let's get it on!
> >
> > GG

> This could get interesting now. I am actually more like in the Yuba City
> area, about 40 miles north of Sacramento proper. How do you think I
> find all the back woods riding? I like it when the only traffic I
> have to worry about is the bears, really, I watch the deer, vultures
> (I hope they are not watching me), and other wildlife. If I don't
> have to work I might be able to take you on the ride around Beale
> and show you the waterfall and swimming hole I found. It is about
> 40 miles paved, 20 or so gravel, 10 dirt, 5 walk and carry bike.
> Sort of a century the hard way but not road bike tire friendly.
> There are some paved loops I can organize or point to, also.
> Weather and work permitting, or course.

I'd be interested in a paved loop, or out and back. Not interested in racing
on gravel, dirt, or on foot.

Do you want to do it as a time trial, or head-to-head?

I'll let you know when my schedule firms up for my trip to Sacto.

BTW - I'm 52, so a bit younger than you, but I'm also heavier (175), so it
should be pretty even.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

> Oops. I just admitted I work sometimes.
> Lots of money in short bursts or a little at a time, but, yes, I work.
> Darned money thing anyway.
> >
> >> If you read the whole post you would see that I was only doing those
> >> for a few tens of seconds at a time. If I could hold up the 15 MPH,
> >> yer damn right I'd be in a pro race, but I can't. I walk or run,

period.

Bill Baka wrote:
> On 16 Dec 2004 13:14:47 -0800, <[email protected]> Most sane

adults
> think us older folks should act our age, which for me, 56, means run,
> jump, bike, hike, etc. Others can have their cane and rocker, not me.
> Continue to have fun Maggie, as will I,
> Bill
>
> --

Oh! and Bill many of us who are older than you don't really think that
in and of itself being active at 56 is such a big deal. If you were to
come around where I hang out you'd find lots of folks rock climbing,
hiking and cycling well into their 70's. I have a friend who at 75 can
take (very) long pulls on a pace line that goes at 24 + mph. He'd just
look at you and say "try to keep up kid"

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:15:14 -0800, Bill Baka wrote:

> Time for something new, I hope this isn't old. The last 2 days in
> Californias' central valley have been glum, to say the least about the
> weather. Yesterday, had a low of 53F and a high of 54F and fog all day.

I grew up there. You better get used to the fog, 'cause it will be there.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
_`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ
(_)/ (_) |

On 16 Dec 2004 16:16:19 -0800, gds <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bill Baka wrote:
>> On 16 Dec 2004 13:14:47 -0800, <[email protected]> Most sane

> adults
>> think us older folks should act our age, which for me, 56, means run,
>> jump, bike, hike, etc. Others can have their cane and rocker, not me.
>> Continue to have fun Maggie, as will I,
>> Bill
>>
>> --

> Oh! and Bill many of us who are older than you don't really think that
> in and of itself being active at 56 is such a big deal. If you were to
> come around where I hang out you'd find lots of folks rock climbing,
> hiking and cycling well into their 70's. I have a friend who at 75 can
> take (very) long pulls on a pace line that goes at 24 + mph. He'd just
> look at you and say "try to keep up kid"

I have no doubt of that since I did run into one very fast geezer a few
months back. He had to be about 70 and just blew past me one day on the
local road. I just kept pedaling, in semi-shock. Walking, I would have
opened the door for him, being all grey and wrinkled, but I could see
he damn well earned those wrinkles. I gained a new respect for my elders.

--
Bill (?) Ba__ka

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:32:22 -0500, David L. Johnson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:15:14 -0800, Bill Baka wrote:
>
>> Time for something new, I hope this isn't old. The last 2 days in
>> Californias' central valley have been glum, to say the least about the
>> weather. Yesterday, had a low of 53F and a high of 54F and fog all day.

> I grew up there. You better get used to the fog, 'cause it will be
> there.

Tell me about it. I walked/ran to Wal-mart because I was worried about the
theft rate of bicycles around here. I went in at about 4:30 with the sun
up and came out at 5:30 into a dark fog cloud. I walked home along the
highway very carefully on the wrong side since people were driving too
fast and getting close to the edge. It isn't a legal thing with me when
nobody can see anything, so I ran the wrong side until there was a sidewalk
on the proper side, then ran across the road to the safety of the sidewalk.
If I had my bike I would have had a bit of trouble at this point, with rush
hour traffic and near to zero visibility. I went by where the speed trap
had been and the police left the LIDAR unit on but apparently changed the
minimum speed. I ran full tilt at it and got dashes, no fun at all, but it
still gave a readout for cars, so there goes my running speed measurement.
If it is still there tomorrow I may take a bike and try it for fun.
I don't think "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" meant white out fog!!!

--
Bill (?) Ba__ka

GaryG wrote:
|| "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
|| news:eek:[email protected]...
||| This could get interesting now. I am actually more like in the Yuba
||| City area, about 40 miles north of Sacramento proper. How do you
||| think I
||| find all the back woods riding? I like it when the only traffic I
||| have to worry about is the bears, really, I watch the deer, vultures
||| (I hope they are not watching me), and other wildlife. If I don't
||| have to work I might be able to take you on the ride around Beale
||| and show you the waterfall and swimming hole I found. It is about
||| 40 miles paved, 20 or so gravel, 10 dirt, 5 walk and carry bike.
||| Sort of a century the hard way but not road bike tire friendly.
||| There are some paved loops I can organize or point to, also.
||| Weather and work permitting, or course.
|| I'd be interested in a paved loop, or out and back. Not interested
|| in racing on gravel, dirt, or on foot.
|| Do you want to do it as a time trial, or head-to-head?
|| I'll let you know when my schedule firms up for my trip to Sacto.
|| BTW - I'm 52, so a bit younger than you, but I'm also heavier (175),
|| so it should be pretty even.

This sounds interesting. Full disclosure here, okay?

Bill Baka wrote:

> Of course in a bicycle group I probably should not have mentioned that
> I had a 1988 Mustang 5.0 (in 1988-1992)that would do 162.5 MPH.

> Pegged that bike at 170 indicated. Of course that was way back in 1973 in the high Mojave desert.
> That's just the way I am when I have a new toy, test the speedometer.

You forgot to tell her about riding your tricycle at 40mph when you were
a 4 yr old.

For awhile it appeared you were done making up stories.... but I guess
some things never change.

Rich

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:19:28 -0700, Rich <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bill Baka wrote:
>
>> Of course in a bicycle group I probably should not have mentioned that
>> I had a 1988 Mustang 5.0 (in 1988-1992)that would do 162.5 MPH.

>> Pegged that bike at 170 indicated. Of course that was way back in 1973
>> in the high Mojave desert.
>> That's just the way I am when I have a new toy, test the speedometer.

> You forgot to tell her about riding your tricycle at 40mph when you were
> a 4 yr old.
>
> For awhile it appeared you were done making up stories.... but I guess
> some things never change.
>
> Rich

The tricycle was a bit of a troll but the fact is that I was brought home
by the police when I was but 4 years old. How do you equate ("Oh
****....") from a 4 year olds' point of view?
The pedals were a blur so I couldn't have stopped if I had wanted to,
think "Gravity games.".

The Mustang read 3,000 RPM dead on at 80 MPH in 4th, not OD, and I saw
6,200 in 4th.
Do the math. I tweaked the timing and injectors a bit, being an
electronics engineer I could not resist. That was the only time that car
went that fast with me driving due to a handling problem (skittish) and a
braking problem (drum brakes on the rear don't cut it at 160).

The bike was a Kawasaki H2-750 purchased at Sam Arena's Harley Davidson
and fitted with a bigger front chain gear at my request. 13 instead of the
stock 12 or something like that.
Even with the bigger front gear accidental wheelies were quite common and
it still went past the red line in 5th, which just happened to be about
where the speedometer pegged, about 10 MPH north of 160. Accuracy may be
questionable, but outrunning a CHP on an open road is not easy. It may
have been the fact that I was in the high desert, about 3,000 feet, 1%
downhill, or whatever. I know I did it so I can just sit back and smile at
the non-believers. Don't you ever do anything exciting? Sam Arena Harley
was in south San Jose on the old Monterey Highway or way south first
street for San Jose. I think they might have a sales record but why try to
convince you? Maybe I should have just bought a '74 74, since that was
supposed to be a collector bike.
Think what you want, I know the truth, at least what the guages told me it
was.

--
Bill (?) Ba__ka