Walking in the Alps (GR5?)

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Trevor Appleton, Aug 27, 2005.

  1. Having had three trips in Norway in the past 12 months using the excellent
    facilites of DNT (http://www.turistforeningen.no/index.php?fo_id=782)

    I have my eyes set on the Alps next year, perhaps the GR5? St Gingolf to
    Nice.

    Is there any comparable network of huts? (der showers every night is nice!)

    More than 11 kilos on the back totally ruins any walk for me.

    Tags:

  2. "Trevor Appleton" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Is there any comparable network of huts? (der showers every night is nice!)

    Don't know about Norway ... or the details of the GR5

    but wherever in the alps I have been it was crawling with huts.

    From coldwater wash-basins shut at 9pm (and no light in toilets at
    night) to hot showers and luxury beds.

    there is a link on www.mgk.org.uk/links.html to Jo's
    Hüttenverzeichniss (or similar) which covers a lot of references.

    hth

    mgk
    --
    They say that the brain is just like a computer. If that's true, then there
    really aren't any stupid people. Just people running the mental equivalent

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    "Markus G. Klötzer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Trevor Appleton" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Is there any comparable network of huts? (der showers every night is

    nice!)

    > Don't know about Norway ... or the details of the GR5
    >
    > but wherever in the alps I have been it was crawling with huts.
    >
    > From coldwater wash-basins shut at 9pm (and no light in toilets at
    > night) to hot showers and luxury beds.
    >
    > there is a link on www.mgk.org.uk/links.html to Jo's
    > Hüttenverzeichniss (or similar) which covers a lot of references.

    We did it some years ago in June and September. If you go during the high
    season i.e. July/Aug), I strongly suggest you book the huts in advance, of
    which they are plenty, and the villages have either Gites (like a refuge but
    for villages); if you have a tent, you can often put it up outside the hut
    and have meals and showers. Most allow you to do this, and it's often more
    peaceful than a packed dormitory! Sections of it can get very busy such as
    the section shared with the Tour du Mont Blanc. We liked the part through
    the Vanoise best and again south of Briançon where it quietens down. The
    southern part towards Nice has lots of tracks as opposed to footpaths
    though, which was disapointing.

    Hope this helps

    Michele

  4. "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I strongly suggest you book the huts in advance

    I seem to remember that with Alpine Club Huts you have to be a member
    to book in advance. But any of the member clubs will do. You can get
    the ticket with some british clubs, or like friends of mine joined the
    british section of the austrian alpine club

    cu

    mgk
    --
    "Good is not good where better is expected." -- Thomas Fuller