Walking in wellies?

saki

Guest
Does anyone walk in wellies? Many of the walks my wife and I take at the
moment are through sodden, muddy, claggy farm land (most of it on the
level or gentle slopes), and I am getting tired of boot maintenance. My
ancient black car-washing wellies would be hopeless, but I wonder whether
well-fitting Hunters or the like would be any use for the shorter walks -
say 6 to 8 miles. Any views please?

saki

saki wrote

> but I wonder whether
> well-fitting Hunters or the like would be any use for the shorter walks -
> say 6 to 8 miles. Any views please?

If it fits, is comfortable and does the job then it really doesn't matter
what
you wear on your feet.

Chris

saki wrote:
> Does anyone walk in wellies? Many of the walks my wife and I take at the
> moment are through sodden, muddy, claggy farm land (most of it on the
> level or gentle slopes), and I am getting tired of boot maintenance. My
> ancient black car-washing wellies would be hopeless, but I wonder whether
> well-fitting Hunters or the like would be any use for the shorter walks -
> say 6 to 8 miles. Any views please?
>
> saki

I wear bog standard wellies for dogwalks up to an hour or 2 and have
done for years. Wouldn't fancy Hellvelyn in them though :))
Cheers
Graham

"saki" wrote in message
> Does anyone walk in wellies? Many of the walks my wife and I take at the
> moment are through sodden, muddy, claggy farm land (most of it on the
> level or gentle slopes), and I am getting tired of boot maintenance. My
> ancient black car-washing wellies would be hopeless, but I wonder whether
> well-fitting Hunters or the like would be any use for the shorter walks -
> say 6 to 8 miles. Any views please?

Saw these the other day and wondered, and at that price that's all I'll do!
http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/...hameau Wellington Boots and Socks/GOF-125.htm

--
Regards
Bob

In article <[email protected]>, saki
<[email protected]> writes
>but I wonder whether
>well-fitting Hunters or the like would be any use for the shorter walks -
>say 6 to 8 miles. Any views please?

I found Hunters to be close fitting and the soles were really too thin
for any distance walking, and too expensive really. Perhaps Hawkshead
have some decent ones.

Look good though - I suppose that's what they're meant to to do :)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 11:22:24 +0000, saki <[email protected]> wrote:

| Does anyone walk in wellies? Many of the walks my wife and I take at the
| moment are through sodden, muddy, claggy farm land (most of it on the
| level or gentle slopes), and I am getting tired of boot maintenance. My
| ancient black car-washing wellies would be hopeless, but I wonder whether
| well-fitting Hunters or the like would be any use for the shorter walks -
| say 6 to 8 miles. Any views please?

Never managed to find a pair of wellies which fit properly.
I either can not get them on, or they are too slack, or both.
Boots for me every time even if the mud gets up onto my trousers.

The wellies sit in the caravan where we might possibly need them but never
do.

--
Dave F

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 11:22:24 +0000, saki <[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone walk in wellies? Many of the walks my wife and I take at the
>moment are through sodden, muddy, claggy farm land (most of it on the
>level or gentle slopes), and I am getting tired of boot maintenance. My
>ancient black car-washing wellies would be hopeless, but I wonder whether
>well-fitting Hunters or the like would be any use for the shorter walks -
>say 6 to 8 miles. Any views please?
>
>saki

Shouldn't be a problem. My lad does a fair bit of walking in wellies,
but they can be cold - and slippy. He's currently wearing 4 pairs of
socks, having deliberately got the his wellies oversize to accommodate
extra. For deep mud - farm use, marshes etc. - they are more practical
than boots, and take mere seconds to clean.

I slip into wellies when it's just too muddy for boots in the nearby New
Forest

Two pairs of thickish socks copes with the thinness of the welly soles, but
the downside is hot feet.
OK for a 4-5 mile but anything over I'd use the boots.

On the plus side wellies are a lot quicker to clean up afterwards

"saki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Does anyone walk in wellies? Many of the walks my wife and I take at the
> moment are through sodden, muddy, claggy farm land (most of it on the
> level or gentle slopes), and I am getting tired of boot maintenance. My
> ancient black car-washing wellies would be hopeless, but I wonder whether
> well-fitting Hunters or the like would be any use for the shorter walks -
> say 6 to 8 miles. Any views please?
>
> saki

You could try hi-leg hunting or military boots. I have a pair of Lowa
Military boots that I use for bush-crafty tpe weekends and walking the dog
in crappy weather when it's flooded. They are comfy and warm and not much
less waterproof than wellies. Another company that makes very hi-leg
walking/hunting boots is Lundhag, these are rubber coated and supposed to be
amazing. They are very popular in nordic countries and should be ideal for
the UK. Penrith Survival sell them.

--
Wales and Borders 15th Century Living History Society
www.15thcentury.co.uk
"saki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Does anyone walk in wellies? Many of the walks my wife and I take at the
> moment are through sodden, muddy, claggy farm land (most of it on the
> level or gentle slopes), and I am getting tired of boot maintenance. My
> ancient black car-washing wellies would be hopeless, but I wonder whether
> well-fitting Hunters or the like would be any use for the shorter walks -
> say 6 to 8 miles. Any views please?
>
> saki

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 11:22:24 +0000, saki <[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone walk in wellies? Many of the walks my wife and I take at the
>moment are through sodden, muddy, claggy farm land (most of it on the
>level or gentle slopes), and I am getting tired of boot maintenance. My
>ancient black car-washing wellies would be hopeless, but I wonder whether
>well-fitting Hunters or the like would be any use for the shorter walks -
>say 6 to 8 miles. Any views please?
>
>saki

I have used Hunter wellies for walking up to about 8 miles for years.
Only problem is they make your feet sweat.
About a year ago I bought a pair of new British Army Gore-Tex
PRO-BOOTS. These are a
High Leg Black leather boot
Fully waterproof & insulated
Padded topband & padded full bellows tongue
Eyelet and speed loop lacing system
Incorporates a lace locking device
Direct moulded dual density polyurethane commando sole
Black full grain water repellent leather Upper
Black softee full grain water repellent leather Tongue
Both leathers treated to be highly water resistant
Maintains a high degree of breathability
They will also dry quickly making cleaning easy with a hose pipe.
(about as easy as cleaning wellies in fact)
Best pair of boots I have ever used or owned.

Norman

In article <[email protected]>, Norman
<[email protected]> writes
>>well-fitting Hunters or the like would be any use for the shorter walks -
>>say 6 to 8 miles. Any views please?

In terms of walking 6 -8 miles aren't particularly short walks when you
consider wearing proper boots. Wearing wellies they could easily be
considered long walks.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

saki <[email protected]> wrote in news:pan.2005.01.01.11.22.24.44946
@spamgone.com:

> Does anyone walk in wellies? Many of the walks my wife and I take at the
> moment are through sodden, muddy, claggy farm land (most of it on the
> level or gentle slopes), and I am getting tired of boot maintenance. My
> ancient black car-washing wellies would be hopeless, but I wonder whether
> well-fitting Hunters or the like would be any use for the shorter walks -
> say 6 to 8 miles. Any views please?
>
> saki

Yes, if they are comfortable and strong enough for the job then do it. I'd
rather hose down a pair of wellies than clean a pair of boots and gaiters.
Not sure that you'd get enough foot support for up and down hills though.

--
Adrian

Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the wonderful
person Norman <[email protected]> said
<snip>
>About a year ago I bought a pair of new British Army Gore-Tex
>PRO-BOOTS. These are a

<snip 'best thing since sliced bread'>
>They will also dry quickly making cleaning easy with a hose pipe.
>(about as easy as cleaning wellies in fact)
>Best pair of boots I have ever used or owned.

But at £120-ish they are out of the 'Wellies' league and into (past!)
the 'expensive walking boots', and they're still not high enough to cope
with serious mud-plugging through local farmyards, from the pictures of
them.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

"saki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Does anyone walk in wellies?

Aye .. always have, always will even on uphill scrambles. I get them from
the local agri merchant, a comfy fit and a really good thick ridged sole are
important, check after every expedition for wear and tear and replace as
necessary. At £9.99 it'll not break the bank to get a new pair 2 or 3 times
a year.
I wear slipper socks inside so my feet never slip and on top of that I have
polybags. Apart from making the wellies easier to get on and off, socks and
feet wash well, bags get discarded, the wellies stay nice and sweet and the
tootsies stay warm as toast. In snowy conditions just apply a little bit of
Vaseline or something to welly soles to prevent 'balling'. (Do the same to
the dogs' feet!)
Best pair I ever had were made by Dunlop and cost around 8 quid .. they
lasted nearly 1000 miles of rough walking before the soles showed the
slightest bit of wear and even now, years on, are still in service in the
yard.
You'll get some strange looks from the purists though and the higher you
meet the more mirth and derision you'll generate .. bit efter 50 year or
thereby o' stompin' ma ain patch I can live wi' that nae problem! :))
--
>Bagpuss<

>But at £120-ish they are out of the 'Wellies' league and into (past!)
>the 'expensive walking boots', and they're still not high enough to cope
>with serious mud-plugging through local farmyards, from the pictures of
>them.
>
>--
>GSV Three Minds in a Can
>Outgoing Msgs are Turing Tested,and indistinguishable from human typing.

Well I would agree that they are more expensive than wellies but they
are a lot more comfortable.(I paid £90 for mine)
I can wade through mud and streams up to about 1ft but if I see such
obstacles ahead I try to avoid them as I dont like plodding through
mud.
By selecting routes away from farms one can also ensure relative
freedom from being bitten by lean and hungry sheep dogs, being
challenged route wise by irate land owners/tenants (farmers mainly)
and bumping into the sharp end of large bulls which seem to occupy
fields adjacent to paths near farms.

Norman

* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
* of violets, as Bagpuss <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
* of golden sunlight, and announced:

> Aye .. always have, always will even on uphill scrambles. I get them from
> the local agri merchant, a comfy fit and a really good thick ridged sole are
> important, check after every expedition for wear and tear and replace as
> necessary. At £9.99 it'll not break the bank to get a new pair 2 or 3 times

<snip>

I met a woman from Aberdeen on Carn a Maim once, who wore yellow washing up
gloves to keep her hands warm!

Regards: Jim Ford

On 2 Jan 2005 17:30:27 GMT, Jim Ford <[email protected]>
wrote:

| * The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
| * of violets, as Bagpuss <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
| * of golden sunlight, and announced:
|
| > Aye .. always have, always will even on uphill scrambles. I get them from
| > the local agri merchant, a comfy fit and a really good thick ridged sole are
| > important, check after every expedition for wear and tear and replace as
| > necessary. At £9.99 it'll not break the bank to get a new pair 2 or 3 times
| <snip>
|
| I met a woman from Aberdeen on Carn a Maim once, who wore yellow washing up
| gloves to keep her hands warm!

Well wet gloves are a pain in the ?????
--
Dave F

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> I met a woman from Aberdeen on Carn a Maim once, who wore yellow washing up
> gloves to keep her hands warm!

is this a 'complete the limerick' competition?

--
Darren
mail to darren not ng

Just make sure they're not yellow and there no sheep around lol
col xx
"saki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Does anyone walk in wellies? Many of the walks my wife and I take at the
> moment are through sodden, muddy, claggy farm land (most of it on the
> level or gentle slopes), and I am getting tired of boot maintenance. My
> ancient black car-washing wellies would be hopeless, but I wonder whether
> well-fitting Hunters or the like would be any use for the shorter walks -
> say 6 to 8 miles. Any views please?
>
> saki

"Jim Ford" <[email protected]> wrote

> I met a woman from Aberdeen on Carn a Maim once, who wore yellow washing

up
> gloves to keep her hands warm!

I often use washing up gloves over top of my others because I'm too tight to
pay 25 quid for a pair of Gore-tex ones. The pair I got off my mum were one
pink and one yellow because one always gets a hole before the other but
since they wore out I got a nice colour co-ordinated blue pair from work to
match my jacket.