Walking Outer Hebrides

Tim

Guest
I am visiting the Outer Hebrides with my family at the end of August.
Has anyone any suggestions for good walks, interesting places to visit
or places to swim and snorkel? Also how are the midges this year? Last
time I went to Scotland I was eaten alive!

"Tim" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
>I am visiting the Outer Hebrides with my family at the end of August.
> Has anyone any suggestions for good walks, interesting places to visit
> or places to swim and snorkel? Also how are the midges this year? Last
> time I went to Scotland I was eaten alive!

Which part/island are you going ?

--
Theo
www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

Tim wrote:
> We have a week on a tiny island called Scalpay

There's a circular walk round Scalpya otself - which I've not tried.
Best walks in that area are on and around the Clisham, but try the walk
round from Tarbert to Reinigeadal. Also (presuming you've got transport)
- go out West to Huisinis and the coast walk overlooking Scarp. Great
beaches down at Luskentyre.

Midges are completely unpredictable - a decent breeze (and there's lots
of them) will keep them at bay.

druidh

"druidh" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> Tim wrote:
>> We have a week on a tiny island called Scalpay
>>

> There's a circular walk round Scalpya otself - which I've not tried.

According to Anquet it's the Heritage Trail 10km. A few km of roadwalking.
Height ascended 90m.

> Best walks in that area are on and around the Clisham, but try the walk
> round from Tarbert to Reinigeadal. Also (presuming you've got transport) -
> go out West to Huisinis and the coast walk overlooking Scarp. Great
> beaches down at Luskentyre.

The dunes at Seilebost are gorgeous (if the sun is shining :) Perfect view
of the beautifull bluegreenish Sound of Taransay.16 km from Tarbert, on the
westcoast on the A859.

www.theosphotos.fotopic.net/p8342152.html
www.theosphotos.fotopic.net/p8342150.html

--

Tim wrote:

> I am visiting the Outer Hebrides with my family at the end of August.
> Has anyone any suggestions for good walks, interesting places to visit
> or places to swim and snorkel? Also how are the midges this year? Last
> time I went to Scotland I was eaten alive!

On Lewis I would recommend The Butt from where you can watch the
Dolphins and Whales. Also Uig, which has some fabulous coastal
scenery stuff. Theo has already mentioned Renigdale, which is a
great spot, as well as the climb up The Clisham. At Huishnish on
Harris there is excellent, safe (if a little chilly) snorkelling
while down the coast at Horgabost there is more good safe swimming.
There also be eagles above Finnsbay at about 12:30 and the walk
around Toe Head is also really nice. So much to do, so little time.

Chris

I've just returned from a week on Skye, Lewis and Harris. On Skye the
midges were bad. On Lewis and Harris we had no midges whatsoever, even
though there was no wind.

Jim