General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Walking Poles & Rucsac attachments

Started by Toby Jug · · Last activity · 54 posts · 1,141 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
30 September 2004
Last activity
7 October 2004
Original author
Toby Jug
Posts
54
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,141
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 54
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Bitstring <BD84DC13.37F22%andy.howellNOSPAM@ecotrendDOTorgDOTuk>, from
    the wonderful person Andy Howell
    <andy.howellNOSPAM@ecotrendDOTorgDOTuk.?.invalid> said

    Quoted message said:

    On 2/10/04 1:05 pm, in article [email hidden],

    Phil Cook said:

    I just saw that on the weather on telly. Nasty rain in the West of
    Wales at the moment and strong gales blowing in over the weekend.

    Hmm, off to Long Mynnd tomorrow. Sounds as if it might be eventful!

    Lotsa luck. The nice thing about the Mynd (your 'N' key bounced) is that
    you can avoid the worst of the wind/rain (usually) by sticking to the
    East side around Church Stretton & Carding Mill Valley .. but doubtless
    you are going up to the top to get your head blown off. 8>.

    At least you should be safe from low flying gliders and SAS folks
    training with paragliders - although with the SAS you never can be sure.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Outgoing Msgs are Turing Tested,and indistinguishable from human typing.

  2. GSV Three Minds in a Can said:

    Bitstring <BD84DC13.37F22%andy.howellNOSPAM@ecotrendDOTorgDOTuk>, from
    the wonderful person Andy Howell
    <andy.howellNOSPAM@ecotrendDOTorgDOTuk.?.invalid> said

    Quoted message said:

    On 2/10/04 1:05 pm, in article
    [email hidden],

    Phil Cook said:

    I just saw that on the weather on telly. Nasty rain in the West of
    Wales at the moment and strong gales blowing in over the weekend.

    Hmm, off to Long Mynnd tomorrow. Sounds as if it might be eventful!

    Lotsa luck. The nice thing about the Mynd (your 'N' key bounced) is that
    you can avoid the worst of the wind/rain (usually) by sticking to the
    East side around Church Stretton & Carding Mill Valley .. but doubtless
    you are going up to the top to get your head blown off. 8>.

    At least you should be safe from low flying gliders and SAS folks
    training with paragliders - although with the SAS you never can be sure.

    As a paraglider pilot I can assure you that the SAS have better means of
    getting around! Flying a paraglider in a howling gale is one thing
    (you'll die!), but if you try to fly one in the rain you will find
    yourself falling out of the sky at a great rate of knots with 30 sq.
    metres of ripstop nylon flapping about your ears :-(

    --
    Dave McLaughlin

    [censored] Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum

  3. In article <BD84DB5A.37F20%andy.howellNOSPAM@ecotrendDOTorgDOTuk>, Andy
    Howell <andy.howellNOSPAM@ecotrendDOTorgDOTuk.?.invalid> writes

    Quoted message said:

    There are certainly times, after a long walk, when it is really nice to put
    the poles away and walk naturally ...

    That's the idea.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  4. In article <BD8349B2.37CCA%andy.howellNOSPAM@ecotrendDOTorgDOTuk>,
    andy.howellNOSPAM@ecotrendDOTorgDOTuk says...

    Quoted message said:

    On 1/10/04 1:02 am, in article [email hidden], "Paul

    Saunders said:

    Jim Ford wrote:

    strain.

    This is about right, although there are times when I find myself using poles
    on flatter stretches. Never use them on tarmac though.

    back in June at the end of a 30 mile charity walk in the Lakes I was
    using poles on tarmac (mainly to keep me upright) and the number of
    blokes that kept looking for the girl in high heels was amazing!

    --
    Darren

  5. In article <BD84DB5A.37F20%andy.howellNOSPAM@ecotrendDOTorgDOTuk>,
    andy.howellNOSPAM@ecotrendDOTorgDOTuk says...

    Quoted message said:

    On 2/10/04 9:45 am, in article [email hidden], "W.

    D. Grey said:

    I usually walk with one, or two poles and find them useful if not
    necessary at times. However there are those times when they are actually
    an encumbrance because one's walking is regulated by the poles, and on
    such occasions I prefer to carry the, This is why some means of
    attaching them to my sack would be good.

    There are certainly times, after a long walk, when it is really nice to put
    the poles away and walk naturally ...

    and not only at the end. Coming down Devil's Kitchen on Saturday on the
    hideous scree the poles were invaluable. And I then kept using them on
    the following stepped section and when my knees started to give some
    real pain I started to rely on them even more. It was only a few
    hundred (or so it seemed) steps later that I twigged it was actually
    using the poles that was the source of the pain. The unnatural walking
    style due to using the poles on the steps meant that I was landing
    heavily on a flat foot with no spring in my step. Putting the poles
    away got rid of the pain in a couple of minutes.

    Incidentally, what can they do to devil's kitchen next to try and make
    it an even more hideous descent.?! :-(

    --
    Darren

  6. In article <[email hidden]>, pvs1
    @wildwales.fsnet.co.uk says...

    Quoted message said:
    Steve Jones said:
    Quoted message said:

    With my new Infinity ruckack

    Aha!! - never mind the poles, hows that neat little bit of kit panning
    out?

    Well I still haven't had a chance to use it for real yet, every time I
    plan to go out something seems to crop up. I was going to go out this
    weekend but the forecast is pretty foul.

    should have gone - no rain at all on Sat during the day and all the
    Snowdon/glyders/etc peaks were out of the cloud. Granted it was blowing
    a gale but I like that and at least it keeps the Snowdon train to the
    half way stage.

    It did rain later evening, but rain when cosily tucked up in tent is
    therapeutic!

    --
    Darren

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I can slot mine onto the outside of my Berghaus Freeflow 38+8 okay. But then
    when it rains (as it did on Howden Moor on Tuesday) the protective cover
    won't go over them.

    Anybody got a solution to this?

    took them in your compression straps (if you have them!)?

    --
    Darren

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I can slot mine onto the outside of my Berghaus Freeflow 38+8 okay. But then
    when it rains (as it did on Howden Moor on Tuesday) the protective cover
    won't go over them.

    Anybody got a solution to this?

    took them in your compression straps (if you have them!)?


    or you can even tuck them in if that is easier
    --
    Darren

  9. Darren G said:

    It did rain later evening, but rain when cosily tucked up in tent is
    therapeutic!

    Not when you've pitched in a hollow, or right next to a stream...

    ....especially with this much rain. It's still belting down heavily now,
    as it has been all day. I bet the waterfalls look really good right
    now!

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

  10. Darren G said:

    It was
    only a few hundred (or so it seemed) steps later that I twigged it
    was actually using the poles that was the source of the pain. The
    unnatural walking style due to using the poles on the steps

    it's not the poles fault, you just weren't using them "correctly". By
    correctly I mean in a style that suits you and the terrain. I find that
    different styles are necessary for uphill, downhill, flat, unneven and
    so on. There's no single correct method, you need to vary the length
    and the style to suit your circumstances. It does take a bit of
    practice to get the best out of them.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, Paul Saunders
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    ...especially with this much rain. It's still belting down heavily now,
    as it has been all day. I bet the waterfalls look really good right
    now!

    Guess where I was yesterday (Sunday)..............

    On top of Fan Gyhirych !!!!!!!!!!

    Yes it was wet and windy :-)
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  12. Darren G said:

    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    "Toby Jug" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Could some kind person please enlighten me as to the best way to attach a
    > walking pole or poles to my rucsac.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I can slot mine onto the outside of my Berghaus Freeflow 38+8 okay. But then
    when it rains (as it did on Howden Moor on Tuesday) the protective cover
    won't go over them.
    Anybody got a solution to this?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    took them in your compression straps (if you have them!)?

    Quoted message said:

    or you can even tuck them in if that is easier.

    "Silly fool of a Took!"

    Who cares if they get wet anyway?
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  13. W. D. Grey said:

    Guess where I was yesterday (Sunday)..............

    Yesterday!!!

    Quoted message said:

    On top of Fan Gyhirych !!!!!!!!!!

    Mad!!!

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

  14. In article <[email hidden]>, Paul Saunders
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On top of Fan Gyhirych !!!!!!!!!!

    Mad!!!

    Maybe :-) but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

    A real walker with his dog passed us. He did give us a smile and a wave
    and seemed to be enjoying himself.

    We went up the track I've been on about - it is a fair old stroll along
    that route.

    I must get up there again when I can see more than fifty yards ahead.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  15. In article <[email hidden]>, pvs1
    @wildwales.fsnet.co.uk says...

    Quoted message said:

    Darren G wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    Not when you've pitched in a hollow, or right next to a stream...

    ...especially with this much rain. It's still belting down heavily now,
    as it has been all day. I bet the waterfalls look really good right
    now!


    well if after all these years you don't know a bad pitch when you see
    one... :-)

    The waterfalls were fantastic even on Sat from the overnight rain -
    especially around Devils Kitchen. Most of the paths were pretty similar
    too. Unfortunately a couple of the group where showing signs of
    tiredness so didn;t get much time to get the camera out. The
    disadvantages of walking with a group. :-(

    Incidentally, took your detour around Bristly Ridge (it wasn't going to
    be much fun in that wind) and it made a nice route. Pretty good scenery
    en route, but it did mean a fair bit of rock hopping to get up to the
    summit of Fach.

    --
    Darren

  16. In article <[email hidden]>, pvs1
    @wildwales.fsnet.co.uk says...

    Quoted message said:
    Darren G said:

    It was
    only a few hundred (or so it seemed) steps later that I twigged it
    was actually using the poles that was the source of the pain. The
    unnatural walking style due to using the poles on the steps

    it's not the poles fault,

    agreed

    Quoted message said:

    you just weren't using them "correctly".

    Probably ...

    Quoted message said:

    By
    correctly I mean in a style that suits you and the terrain. I find that
    different styles are necessary for uphill, downhill, flat, unneven and

    (and you can even use the straps correctly - it's always amusing the
    number of people who just hang them around the wrist.)

    Quoted message said:

    so on. There's no single correct method, you need to vary the length
    and the style to suit your circumstances. It does take a bit of
    practice to get the best out of them.

    but been using them for ages on similar terrain without a problem
    (extended to nearly full length for descent). Seems strange, especially
    as I did a five k run and a spinning class (yeah, I know ...!) today
    without any trouble from my knees at all. Just hoping it's a one-off.

    --
    Darren

  17. In article <[email hidden]>, Phil Cook
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Bernard Hill said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Toby Jug
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Could some kind person please enlighten me as to the best way to attach a
    walking pole or poles to my rucsac.

    Do you attach them point end up or down ?

    And one of my rucsacs looks like it only has room for one - but if i'm
    carrying two it's a problem.

    Quoted message said:

    My Craghoppers rucksac has pockets at the side for the poles. Or at
    least a lower pocket about 3" deep and an upper strap to keep it
    vertical.

    So it's point up for me.

    My sacs have wand pockets and straps but I always carry mine point
    down. I just put them into the pocket as far as the basket and strap
    'em in. Both on the same side, the other side often has a triopd on
    it. I've used ice axe loops to carry them too, put the pointy end in
    and give it a twist to tighten the loop a bit and then fasten the
    strap round the handle.

    The pockets are too small for the little baskets on the poles. Has to be
    up with my rucksack. Not to mention getting the baskets through the
    loops.

    --
    Bernard Hill
    Selkirk, Scotland

  18. Darren G said:
    Quoted message said:

    There's no single correct method, you need to vary the length
    and the style to suit your circumstances. It does take a bit of
    practice to get the best out of them.

    but been using them for ages on similar terrain without a problem
    (extended to nearly full length for descent). Seems strange,
    especially as I did a five k run and a spinning class (yeah, I know
    ...!) today without any trouble from my knees at all. Just hoping
    it's a one-off.

    Seriously, there are *lots* of different ways of using them. It's not
    just a question of length, there's angle and stride technique to
    consider.

    Not sure if I answered this, but in regard to ascents, the more effort
    you put into the poles, the less strain there is on the legs, therefore
    the less tired they are at the end of the walk, hence the less risk of
    an injury to the knees or whatever. Tired legs at the end of walks are
    one of the biggest causes of injury I believe.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

  19. In article <[email hidden]>, pvs1
    @wildwales.fsnet.co.uk says...

    Quoted message said:
    Darren G said:
    Quoted message said:

    There's no single correct method, you need to vary the length
    and the style to suit your circumstances. It does take a bit of
    practice to get the best out of them.

    but been using them for ages on similar terrain without a problem
    (extended to nearly full length for descent). Seems strange,
    especially as I did a five k run and a spinning class (yeah, I know
    ...!) today without any trouble from my knees at all. Just hoping
    it's a one-off.

    Seriously, there are *lots* of different ways of using them. It's not
    just a question of length, there's angle and stride technique to
    consider.

    I agree entirely. I just find it strange that I've never had the
    problem before in similar circumstances. I suspect it is a combination
    of tired legs, heavy pack and long day leading to me over-relying on
    them. Putting them away forced me to use my legs properly.

    They were, however, invaluable descending the scree prior to the steps.

    Quoted message said:

    Not sure if I answered this, but in regard to ascents [...]

    Think you had, but no harm in being sure :-)

    I tend to use poles more for for ascent than descent, especially as I'm
    heavy built and can really use the upper body strength to save the legs
    and pick up the speed.
    --
    Darren

  20. W. D. Grey said:

    Maybe :-) but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

    Quoted message said:

    We

    We?

    Quoted message said:

    went up the track I've been on about - it is a fair old stroll
    along that route.

    Glad you finally got arount to it.

    Quoted message said:

    I must get up there again when I can see more than fifty yards ahead.

    Indeed, there are some good views up there.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.