Walking shoes when touring

markwill

Jul 11, 2004
I've just switched to road shoes (from a pair of mountain bike shoes I was lent, which served me for the year or so since I got my bike). I'm loving the new shoes (and the SpeedPlay X2s I use with them).

I am thinking about a small two day trip later this year (maybe Vancouver Island, San Juan Islands or something like that). I have a simple question :)

What shoes do you guys take for "off bike" hours? Sure, I have the "coffee shop" covers for the Speedplays but if I am staying at a B&B or something I really don't fancy walking around in my road shoes in the evening :)

A pair of sneakers seems to heavy to cart around - anyone have any suggestions for a lightweight compromise?

Thanks.

Mark

Low top Converse work pretty well too, lighter and more compact than regular tennies, if you want something that can pass for a teensy bit less casual than sandals.

Eden said:
Low top Converse work pretty well too, lighter and more compact than regular tennies, if you want something that can pass for a teensy bit less casual than sandals.

I'm having the same dilemma (touring season is finally HERE!) and I think I'm leaning to cheap Wamart boat shoes. Maybe in a charcoal color, so you don't see the dirt :D

I bought a pair of cheap Nashbar MTB shoes and they work great for both riding and walking. But if you want something a bit nicer looking then a black sport shoe, Shimano has one called the SH-MT22 that kind of looks like a fancy skater shoe. You can also use any sport or tennis shoe and buy a stiffener that goes inside the shoe for cycling and then remove it for walking.

For weight it's pretty hard to beat crocs, if your aestethic sense will let you wear them...
I've used Fivefingers on occasion, which are just as aestethically challenging but in a slightly different direction. They fold flatter than Crocs.
Bathing/kayaking/surfing shoes might also offer some options.
I've seen some dancing/acrobat shoes which looked promising too. Soft, light, and with a real minimalist design. Off-white, thin sole (1/2"-1/4") then a simple black upper in soft leather. Very limited life when walking on coarse surfaces though.

Crocs?? Are you nuts? You would wear what is basically a flip flop while riding a bike? These shoes have a degree of hazard to them, they've had numerous injuries on escalators, while mostly kids there have been some adults; people have twisted their ankles more in those then other shoes; their way to flexible for use on a bicycle which could strain your foot causing injury; and if you have an accident and go to put your foot down and tear your toes. I'm sorry I think Crocs would be a poor choice for riding a bike with.

Originally Posted by Froze .

Crocs?? Are you nuts? You would wear what is basically a flip flop while riding a bike? These shoes have a degree of hazard to them, they've had numerous injuries on escalators, while mostly kids there have been some adults; people have twisted their ankles more in those then other shoes; their way to flexible for use on a bicycle which could strain your foot causing injury; and if you have an accident and go to put your foot down and tear your toes. I'm sorry I think Crocs would be a poor choice for riding a bike with.

The OP wants ideas of shoes to wear off the bike that are lightweight and easy to carry around. Crocs fit the bill. I dont see myself wearing them any time soon but you never know.

Originally Posted by davereo .

Quote: Originally Posted by Froze .

The OP wants ideas of shoes to wear off the bike that are lightweight and easy to carry around. Crocs fit the bill. I dont see myself wearing them any time soon but you never know.

I understand what your saying, but have you ever tried pedaling a long ways in super flexible shoes like crocs? Your feet will start to kill you before you got more then 10 miles not alone touring on a heavy loaded bike. Just try it sometime, try pedaling a bike for 30 miles in crocs, not alone 80 to 100 miles a typical tourer will ride and let your feet tell you what they think.

OK, Old thread but some new offerings.

I am now using the Jacory walking shoes from Target. At under twenty bucks I would not have given them a second glance except for a recent issue of Consumer Reports that rated the Jacory walking shoe THIRD in a field of the $100+ offerings from Nike, New Balance and the Rest of the high priced spread. After one week of wearing this very, very light sports shoe, I went back and bought two additional pairs to stash away in the closet.

Extreme shoe hoarding? Maybe, but it seems as though every time I find something that I really like, it disappears from the face of the earth.

Adiós Daddo --- Daytona Beach, Florida - USA "Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen." ("What we cannot speak of we must pass over in silence.")

Originally Posted by Froze .

Relax, and re-read - The OP is asking for shoes to wear OFF THE BIKE. Crocs are inexpensive, as light as they come and rather comfortable for casual use. Apart from the fashion stigma they can be real useful whenever you want to carry a pair of backup shoes.