Walking stores, Yorkshire

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Chris Naylor, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. Chris Naylor

    Chris Naylor Guest

    (second attempt - managed to post this to the shed before here...)

    Decieed it's time to treat myself to a new walking bag as myold one is
    falling to bits and very uncomfortable over long distances. At the moment
    I'm looking at either the Karrimor Jaguar 55-75L or the Panther 75L. Only
    thing is I want to find a shop selling them so I can have a look at others
    and try a few for size as it were.

    Next problem is that my only method of transport is attatched to the end of
    my legs, and the use of the bus/train. Anybody know of any outdoors stores
    that are within easy walking distance of a train/bus station in the
    Leeds/Huddersfield area?

    Cheers

    --
    Chris Naylor
    Cut the nonsense to reply

    FACT: Over 98 percent of rivers have NO ACCESS for the public. Access along
    rivers is a canoeist's lifeblood. Canoes leave no trace of passing, no noise
    or pollution and have little or no lasting impact on wildlife and the water
    environment. All rivers and waterways should be open to the public in the
    same way in which we are free to use footpaths and highways as public rights
    of way. - http://www.riversaccess.org

    Tags:

  2. Allan Gould

    Allan Gould Guest

    Chris Naylor wrote:

    [snip]

    > Next problem is that my only method of transport is attatched to the end of
    > my legs, and the use of the bus/train. Anybody know of any outdoors stores
    > that are within easy walking distance of a train/bus station in the
    > Leeds/Huddersfield area?>

    Leeds:
    Nevis Sport near Morrisons 0113 244 4715
    The Scout Shop (or whatever it's called now) in the St John's Centre
    Blacks (now down in the Victoria Quarter) 0113 246 8454 ?
    Centre Sports (Merrion St/Briggate) 0113 245 2917

    Allan
    (not sure if all telnos are current)

  3. Runningfox

    Runningfox Guest

    "Chris Naylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    Anybody know of any outdoors stores
    > that are within easy walking distance of a train/bus station in the
    > Leeds/Huddersfield area?

    Try Outdoor World, 16 High Street, Huddersfield. Tel. 01484 542002 - or (a
    mile out of town) Blackburns Outdoor Equipment, 303 Wakefield Road,
    Huddersfield. Tel. 01484 531561.
    And I believe Blacks have a place in the middle of Leeds.
    Cheers,
    Runningfox

  4. Chris Naylor

    Chris Naylor Guest

    Allan Gould <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Chris Naylor wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> Next problem is that my only method of transport is attatched to the
    >> end of my legs, and the use of the bus/train. Anybody know of any
    >> outdoors stores that are within easy walking distance of a train/bus
    >> station in the Leeds/Huddersfield area?>

    > Leeds:
    > Nevis Sport near Morrisons 0113 244 4715
    > The Scout Shop (or whatever it's called now) in the St John's Centre
    > Blacks (now down in the Victoria Quarter) 0113 246 8454 ?
    > Centre Sports (Merrion St/Briggate) 0113 245 2917
    >
    > Allan
    > (not sure if all telnos are current)

    Cheers for that - I'll have a ring round this aft and see what I can find!
    --
    Chris Naylor
    Cut the nonsense to reply
    http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net

    "If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and
    principles, come and join this campaign."

  5. Bernard

    Bernard Guest

    "Allan Gould" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Chris Naylor wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> Next problem is that my only method of transport is attatched to the end
    >> of
    >> my legs, and the use of the bus/train. Anybody know of any outdoors
    >> stores
    >> that are within easy walking distance of a train/bus station in the
    >> Leeds/Huddersfield area?>

    > Leeds:
    > Nevis Sport near Morrisons 0113 244 4715
    > The Scout Shop (or whatever it's called now) in the St John's Centre
    > Blacks (now down in the Victoria Quarter) 0113 246 8454 ?
    > Centre Sports (Merrion St/Briggate) 0113 245 2917
    >
    > Allan
    > (not sure if all telnos are current)

    Centre Sports has closed.

    There is also Milletts on Vicar Lane near the market. The Scout Shop is now
    called something like The Outdoor Centre.

    Benrard

  6. Nick Mason

    Nick Mason Guest

    says...
    > (second attempt - managed to post this to the shed before here...)
    >
    > Decieed it's time to treat myself to a new walking bag as myold one is
    > falling to bits and very uncomfortable over long distances. At the moment
    > I'm looking at either the Karrimor Jaguar 55-75L or the Panther 75L. Only
    > thing is I want to find a shop selling them so I can have a look at others
    > and try a few for size as it were.
    >
    > Next problem is that my only method of transport is attatched to the end of
    > my legs, and the use of the bus/train. Anybody know of any outdoors stores
    > that are within easy walking distance of a train/bus station in the
    > Leeds/Huddersfield area?
    >
    > Cheers

    Kirrimor is no more, I've been told they've gone into receivership.
    Their website is 'undergoing a revamp come back in a few weeks'.

    They have had a number of owners in recent years and it seems this time
    it really is the end.

    That being the case you won't get much after sales service.
    --

    Regards

    Nick

  7. Chris Naylor

    Chris Naylor Guest

    Nick Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    > says...
    >> (second attempt - managed to post this to the shed before here...)
    >>
    >> Decieed it's time to treat myself to a new walking bag as myold one
    >> is falling to bits and very uncomfortable over long distances. At
    >> the moment I'm looking at either the Karrimor Jaguar 55-75L or the
    >> Panther 75L. Only thing is I want to find a shop selling them so I
    >> can have a look at others and try a few for size as it were.
    >>
    >> Next problem is that my only method of transport is attatched to the
    >> end of my legs, and the use of the bus/train. Anybody know of any
    >> outdoors stores that are within easy walking distance of a train/bus
    >> station in the Leeds/Huddersfield area?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    > Kirrimor is no more, I've been told they've gone into receivership.
    > Their website is 'undergoing a revamp come back in a few weeks'.
    >
    > They have had a number of owners in recent years and it seems this
    > time it really is the end.
    >
    > That being the case you won't get much after sales service.

    Hmm, shame. Any body any suggestions about similar capacity and
    quality/price range sacks to look at?
    --
    Chris Naylor
    Cut the nonsense to reply
    http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net

    The politician was gone but unnoticed, like the period after the Dr. on
    a Dr Pepper can. (Wayne Goode, Madison, Ala.)

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Chris Naylor
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Nick Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    >> says...
    >>> (second attempt - managed to post this to the shed before here...)
    >>>
    >>> Decieed it's time to treat myself to a new walking bag as myold one
    >>> is falling to bits and very uncomfortable over long distances. At
    >>> the moment I'm looking at either the Karrimor Jaguar 55-75L or the
    >>> Panther 75L. Only thing is I want to find a shop selling them so I
    >>> can have a look at others and try a few for size as it were.
    >>>
    >>> Next problem is that my only method of transport is attatched to the
    >>> end of my legs, and the use of the bus/train. Anybody know of any
    >>> outdoors stores that are within easy walking distance of a train/bus
    >>> station in the Leeds/Huddersfield area?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>

    >> Kirrimor is no more, I've been told they've gone into receivership.
    >> Their website is 'undergoing a revamp come back in a few weeks'.
    >>
    >> They have had a number of owners in recent years and it seems this
    >> time it really is the end.

    I thought Lonsdale have bought them this time...

    >> That being the case you won't get much after sales service.

    >Hmm, shame. Any body any suggestions about similar capacity and
    >quality/price range sacks to look at?

    Lowe Alpine, Berghaus, Macpac, see the following link for some examples.

    http://www.cotswold-outdoor.com/Cat/68988

    Make sure you try it on with some realistic contents in it not just a
    bunch of bubble wrap or empty!

    But do you really want one that big? My 70l pack almost never gets used
    because when it does I tend to carry extra to fill it and I find I can
    get all I need in a 45l sack for most trips.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  9. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from "Chris Naylor" <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > Next problem is that my only method of transport is attatched to the end of
    > my legs, and the use of the bus/train. Anybody know of any outdoors stores
    > that are within easy walking distance of a train/bus station in the
    > Leeds/Huddersfield area?

    Allan Austins. Not very close to Bradford City centre but it is off
    Manchester Road which I presume is the bus route from Huddersfield to
    Bradford so should be easy to get to by bus.

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year 17 summits
    New - 11 (Marilyns 0, Sweats 1, Outlying Fells 10)

  10. Chris Naylor

    Chris Naylor Guest

    Chris Naylor <[email protected]> wrote:
    > (second attempt - managed to post this to the shed before here...)
    >
    > Decieed it's time to treat myself to a new walking bag as myold one is
    > falling to bits and very uncomfortable over long distances. At the
    > moment I'm looking at either the Karrimor Jaguar 55-75L or the
    > Panther 75L. Only thing is I want to find a shop selling them so I
    > can have a look at others and try a few for size as it were.
    >
    > Next problem is that my only method of transport is attatched to the
    > end of my legs, and the use of the bus/train. Anybody know of any
    > outdoors stores that are within easy walking distance of a train/bus
    > station in the Leeds/Huddersfield area?
    >
    > Cheers

    Hmm

    Looking like it was a good mistake to make this post to the wrong group! Its
    given me more answers than the real post in uk.rec.walking....hmmm, might
    have to post to the wrong group more often..

    --
    Chris Naylor
    Cut the nonsense to reply
    http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net

    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

  11. Chris Naylor

    Chris Naylor Guest

    Chris Naylor <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Chris Naylor <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> (second attempt - managed to post this to the shed before here...)
    >>
    >> Decieed it's time to treat myself to a new walking bag as myold one
    >> is falling to bits and very uncomfortable over long distances. At the
    >> moment I'm looking at either the Karrimor Jaguar 55-75L or the
    >> Panther 75L. Only thing is I want to find a shop selling them so I
    >> can have a look at others and try a few for size as it were.
    >>
    >> Next problem is that my only method of transport is attatched to the
    >> end of my legs, and the use of the bus/train. Anybody know of any
    >> outdoors stores that are within easy walking distance of a train/bus
    >> station in the Leeds/Huddersfield area?
    >>
    >> Cheers

    > Hmm
    >
    > Looking like it was a good mistake to make this post to the wrong
    > group! Its given me more answers than the real post in
    > uk.rec.walking....hmmm, might have to post to the wrong group more
    > often..

    AGH! It appears I have done it again.... foolish fingers...this one was
    supposed to go to the shed!
    --
    Chris Naylor
    Cut the nonsense to reply
    http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net

    Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.
    But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

  12. On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:21:46 GMT, Roger <[email protected]> wrote:

    | The message <[email protected]>
    | from "Chris Naylor" <[email protected]> contains these words:
    |
    | > Next problem is that my only method of transport is attatched to the end of
    | > my legs, and the use of the bus/train. Anybody know of any outdoors stores
    | > that are within easy walking distance of a train/bus station in the
    | > Leeds/Huddersfield area?
    |
    | Allan Austins. Not very close to Bradford City centre but it is off
    | Manchester Road which I presume is the bus route from Huddersfield to
    | Bradford so should be easy to get to by bus.

    Great walking store but difficult to find.
    http://www.allanaustin.co.uk/
    There are many bus routes up Manchester Rd, but where to get off I can not
    say. It is in an old mill about 20 yrds back from the rd behind some
    shops.

    Also at Salts Mill which may be easier to find
    http://www.allanaustin.co.uk/salts.htm

    --
    Dave F

  13. >
    >Looking like it was a good mistake to make this post to the wrong group! Its
    >given me more answers than the real post in uk.rec.walking....hmmm, might
    >have to post to the wrong group more often..

    Ever had the feeling you're not wanted...

    --
    Stop ID cards and the Database State
    http://www.no2id.net/

  14. Norman

    Norman Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:05:52 -0000, "Chris Naylor"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Nick Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    >> says...
    >>> (second attempt - managed to post this to the shed before here...)
    >>>
    >>> Decieed it's time to treat myself to a new walking bag as myold one
    >>> is falling to bits and very uncomfortable over long distances. At
    >>> the moment I'm looking at either the Karrimor Jaguar 55-75L or the
    >>> Panther 75L. Only thing is I want to find a shop selling them so I
    >>> can have a look at others and try a few for size as it were.
    >>>
    >>> Next problem is that my only method of transport is attatched to the
    >>> end of my legs, and the use of the bus/train. Anybody know of any
    >>> outdoors stores that are within easy walking distance of a train/bus
    >>> station in the Leeds/Huddersfield area?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>

    >> Kirrimor is no more, I've been told they've gone into receivership.
    >> Their website is 'undergoing a revamp come back in a few weeks'.

    I have found LowAlpine sacks to be superior to Bergaus or Karrimor.
    See: http://www.lowealpine.com/Products/SearchProduct.asp

    and http://www.cccoutdoors.com/main.asp?category=Rucksacks+&+Packing
    for good prices.

    Norman

  15. Chris Naylor

    Chris Naylor Guest

    Simon Caldwell <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Looking like it was a good mistake to make this post to the wrong
    >> group! Its given me more answers than the real post in
    >> uk.rec.walking....hmmm, might have to post to the wrong group more
    >> often..

    > Ever had the feeling you're not wanted...

    Sorry - will have to rectify this now :)

    Do have to admit now though that the comments in th shed are now turning, as
    is to be expected with the shed!, into a bit of a strange post!

    --
    Chris Naylor
    Cut the nonsense to reply
    http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net

    In the last couple of weeks I have seen the ads for the Wonder Bra.Is
    that really a problem in this country? Men not paying enough attention
    to women's breasts? - Jay Leno

  16. Chris Naylor

    Chris Naylor Guest

    Norman <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:05:52 -0000, "Chris Naylor"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Nick Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    >>> says...

    >>> Kirrimor is no more, I've been told they've gone into receivership.
    >>> Their website is 'undergoing a revamp come back in a few weeks'.
    >>>

    > I have found LowAlpine sacks to be superior to Bergaus or Karrimor.
    > See: http://www.lowealpine.com/Products/SearchProduct.asp
    >
    > and http://www.cccoutdoors.com/main.asp?category=Rucksacks+&+Packing
    > for good prices.
    >
    > Norman

    Cheers for those links. I've heard some really good stuff about the Lowe
    Alpine bags. having had a look at the lowe alpine site I realy liked the
    look of one of the Contour bags. As look has it one of my mates has the
    contour 3 70L, had a wander over to his and lowe and behold he was packed
    ready for a few days wandering (never did catch where he was going). Perfect
    opportunity to try it for size as it were. Only took ir for a few miles walk
    through a local hilly wood and have to say I am very impressed with it, so
    much so that I think it has persuaded me that its the bag I should be
    looking at. I think he said he got it from Outdoor World Ltd or something
    like that a few month back - will have to find out and see how much they
    are!

    Cheers for all the invaluable advice and pointers,

    --
    Chris Naylor
    Cut the nonsense to reply
    http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net

    If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

  17. Nick Pedley

    Nick Pedley Guest

    "Bernard" <[email protected]ent.x.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Allan Gould" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > Chris Naylor wrote:
    > >
    > > [snip]
    > >
    > >> Next problem is that my only method of transport is attatched to the

    end
    > >> of
    > >> my legs, and the use of the bus/train. Anybody know of any outdoors
    > >> stores
    > >> that are within easy walking distance of a train/bus station in the
    > >> Leeds/Huddersfield area?>

    > > Leeds:
    > > Nevis Sport near Morrisons 0113 244 4715
    > > The Scout Shop (or whatever it's called now) in the St John's Centre
    > > Blacks (now down in the Victoria Quarter) 0113 246 8454 ?
    > > Centre Sports (Merrion St/Briggate) 0113 245 2917
    > >
    > > Allan
    > > (not sure if all telnos are current)

    > Centre Sports has closed.
    >
    > There is also Milletts on Vicar Lane near the market. The Scout Shop is

    now
    > called something like The Outdoor Centre.

    Is it still there and open? Cos the Scout Shops (aka 'Outdoors') were sold
    off last year to the Blacks/Milletts chain.

    Nick

  18. Bernard

    Bernard Guest

    "Nick Pedley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Bernard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Allan Gould" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> >
    >> > Chris Naylor wrote:
    >> >
    >> > [snip]

    > end
    >> >
    >> > Leeds:
    >> > Nevis Sport near Morrisons 0113 244 4715
    >> > The Scout Shop (or whatever it's called now) in the St John's Centre
    >> > Blacks (now down in the Victoria Quarter) 0113 246 8454 ?
    >> > Centre Sports (Merrion St/Briggate) 0113 245 2917
    >> >
    >> > Allan
    >> > (not sure if all telnos are current)

    >> Centre Sports has closed.
    >>
    >> There is also Milletts on Vicar Lane near the market. The Scout Shop is

    > now
    >> called something like The Outdoor Centre.
    >>

    > Is it still there and open? Cos the Scout Shops (aka 'Outdoors') were sold
    > off last year to the Blacks/Milletts chain.
    >
    > Nick

    It's definitely still there, I went in this morning.

    The Centre Sports is now a sandwich shop. Something to eat while out
    walking I suppose.

    Regards

    Bernard