Walking the dog

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Violet Tigress, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. When I was out riging the other day I kept hearing a chain rattle. It
    didn't sound like my chain, but I couldn't stop because it Sounded like
    it was very close behind me. So a few minutes later, this guy rode past
    me & he was holding his dog's leash. Maybe it's just me, but that
    strikes me as a very bad idea.

    Tags:

  2. Neil Brooks

    Neil Brooks Guest

    Violet Tigress <[email protected]> wrote:

    >When I was out riging the other day I kept hearing a chain rattle. It
    >didn't sound like my chain, but I couldn't stop because it Sounded like
    >it was very close behind me. So a few minutes later, this guy rode past
    >me & he was holding his dog's leash. Maybe it's just me, but that
    >strikes me as a very bad idea.

    While I see your point, I'm hoping this will morph into a pet chain
    lube thread....
    --
    Live simply so that others may simply live

  3. landotter

    landotter Guest

    I know two people that have been seriously injured doing this. One was
    my uncle, he lost several teeth, severed his lip with the remaining
    choppers, moved his nose over to his cheek, and broke his jaw.

    His dog saw a squirrel.

    You can get spring loaded contraptions that's supposed to make it
    safer, but I don't buy it.

  4. Ted

    Ted Guest

    I love taking the dogs out on my roller blades but I agree, it is
    rather frightening on a bicycle. Recall the out of control scene in
    101 Dalmations; that seemed totally plausible to me.
    The roller blade situation is reminiscent of waterskiing; you have
    enough control and traction to direct the dogs and you can go pretty
    fast.
    Ted.

  5. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "landotter" wrote: (clip) His dog saw a squirrel. (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I passed a young lady who was riding slowly up a hill with her dog on a
    leash. After I got by her, I heard her scream. It seems the dog decided to
    follow me, and the leash tension pulled her over. She wasn't hurt, but it
    could have been much worse, 'cause there was a car following closely behind.
    Fortunately, he saw the whole thing unfold, and slowed down.

  6. "Violet Tigress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > When I was out riging the other day I kept hearing a chain rattle. It
    > didn't sound like my chain, but I couldn't stop because it Sounded like
    > it was very close behind me. So a few minutes later, this guy rode past
    > me & he was holding his dog's leash. Maybe it's just me, but that
    > strikes me as a very bad idea.

    Beverly and I go about 5 miles a day together with me on the bike and she on
    the end of her leash. She has been doing this for about 8 years now and
    neither of us are worse for the experience. The bike I take her out on is a
    FreeSpirit three-speed with huge baskets front and back. The bike weighs
    about 55 pounds and the rear baskets go all the way past the rear wheel so
    there is no chance that she can get tangled in the wheels. I hook her onto
    the right rear basket, low and toward the back. She is about 50# and has
    learned how to run like this and is very well managed.

    I tried hooking her to the right chainstay of a fixed gear bike without
    fenders once, now THAT was a bad idea. Fortunately the only casualty was the
    rear axle which bent as the leash got caught in the chain.

    Taking the dog out on a bike ride can be fine if you are equipped and the
    dog is trained.

    Dave

  7. Dane Buson

    Dane Buson Guest

    landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I know two people that have been seriously injured doing this. One was
    > my uncle, he lost several teeth, severed his lip with the remaining
    > choppers, moved his nose over to his cheek, and broke his jaw.

    My coworker got off lighter, with just some bruises. However she
    did decide never to do it again.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email protected]
    "Save the whales. Collect the whole set."