Walking to 10,000

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Robert Grumbine, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. I'm getting concerned about the program my employer is trying
    to sell to staff. It's primarily an older population (I'm well
    to the young end) and primarily either already active, or very
    sedentary.

    First warning flag, to me, was that they came out trying to
    enroll everybody in a plan for _immediately_ starting 6 days a
    week of 30 minutes a day aerobic exercise. No cautions as to
    health status, weight, age. No ramping up.

    Second was today's, to get to 10,000 steps (pedometers being
    offered) per day with 20% per week increases _within_ the next
    6 weeks. To reach 10,000/day with 'only' that increase, people
    would already have to be over 3350 already, which I doubt is
    common except among those who are already active and probably
    exceeding, at least on average, the 10k steps/day anyhow.

    I know we consider 10%/week a high increase for running. Anyone
    know what is reasonable for walking?

    Just a mess. Violates anything known about activity and
    coaching -- it ignores the starting point of the participant,
    it ignores the participant's goals/interests, it applies an
    identical measure/goal for all people (25 year old men are
    given the same target as 75 year old women), it applies
    extremely rapid approach to those goals (immediate in the
    30 minutes/day 6 days/week, 6 weeks for the 10,000 steps/day).
    Arrgh! (imho)

    --
    Robert Grumbine http://www.radix.net/~bobg/ Science faqs and amateur activities notes and links.
    Sagredo (Galileo Galilei) "You present these recondite matters with too much

    Tags:

  2. Sam

    Sam Guest

    6 days a week of getting 30 minutes of aerobic activity is only one day per
    week more than is recommended by ACSM and the Surgeon General's report from
    a few years back.

    I think most people can walk 30 minutes a day. It might be better to break
    it up a bit, but walking is not running so I would not say the same rules
    apply.

    It would be preferable that folks who meet ACSM's guidelines for a physical
    do so.

    I believe the Canadian organizations and also some Japanese researchers have
    been doing this as has a group out of Colorado (the name escpaes me but it
    is something like America on the Move).

    I am more concerned about the one size fits all approach. Some people might
    prefer another activity.

    Has your employer consulted with experts on this program?

    "Robert Grumbine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm getting concerned about the program my employer is trying
    > to sell to staff. It's primarily an older population (I'm well
    > to the young end) and primarily either already active, or very
    > sedentary.
    >
    > First warning flag, to me, was that they came out trying to
    > enroll everybody in a plan for _immediately_ starting 6 days a
    > week of 30 minutes a day aerobic exercise. No cautions as to
    > health status, weight, age. No ramping up.
    >
    > Second was today's, to get to 10,000 steps (pedometers being
    > offered) per day with 20% per week increases _within_ the next
    > 6 weeks. To reach 10,000/day with 'only' that increase, people
    > would already have to be over 3350 already, which I doubt is
    > common except among those who are already active and probably
    > exceeding, at least on average, the 10k steps/day anyhow.
    >
    > I know we consider 10%/week a high increase for running. Anyone
    > know what is reasonable for walking?
    >
    > Just a mess. Violates anything known about activity and
    > coaching -- it ignores the starting point of the participant,
    > it ignores the participant's goals/interests, it applies an
    > identical measure/goal for all people (25 year old men are
    > given the same target as 75 year old women), it applies
    > extremely rapid approach to those goals (immediate in the
    > 30 minutes/day 6 days/week, 6 weeks for the 10,000 steps/day).
    > Arrgh! (imho)
    >
    > --
    > Robert Grumbine http://www.radix.net/~bobg/ Science faqs and amateur

    activities notes and links.
    > Sagredo (Galileo Galilei) "You present these recondite matters with too

    much
    > evidence and ease; this great facility makes them less appreciated than

    they
    > would be had they been presented in a more abstruse manner." Two New

    Sciences

  3. << I am more concerned about the one size fits all approach. Some people might
    prefer another activity. >>

    Take off your shoes,
    Sit, relax ~
    Stay a while~
    1-size socks fit most!

    America Offline!

    ~(@:>

    Log-on...
    Yule log?
    Dialog?
    Got good
    Now?
    Hm?

    [Hey!]
    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  4. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Hey it's about time somebody decides to do something forces people off their
    butts to get in shape. It should not be mandated, but should be part of an
    incentive program as a part of an overall health plan, which lowers the cost
    of health care in the long run. Less pay for employees who fail to commit
    to long-term exercise plans makes sense economically for both the company
    and the employee; they're the ones who make costs go up. This may seem
    invasive, but it's less invasive than many other things companies are doing.

    - Tony

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    Sam <[email protected]> wrote:
    >6 days a week of getting 30 minutes of aerobic activity is only one day per
    >week more than is recommended by ACSM and the Surgeon General's report from
    >a few years back.

    No problem there. The problem, as I see it, is going to 6x30
    _immediately_. As a goal to be reached, it's probably fine (I do have
    some question about applying it without regard for age or physical
    condition). But to tell a bunch of sedentary people who haven't done
    5 minutes aerobically in 40 years to start with 6x30 ... that looks
    like a disaster waiting to happen. One of the better possible outcomes
    is that they never start, or at least quit soon.

    >I think most people can walk 30 minutes a day. It might be better to break
    >it up a bit, but walking is not running so I would not say the same rules
    >apply.
    >
    >It would be preferable that folks who meet ACSM's guidelines for a physical
    >do so.
    >
    >I believe the Canadian organizations and also some Japanese researchers have
    >been doing this as has a group out of Colorado (the name escpaes me but it
    >is something like America on the Move).
    >
    >I am more concerned about the one size fits all approach. Some people might
    >prefer another activity.
    >
    >Has your employer consulted with experts on this program?

    Unclear. Or, if they have, whether these are experts in the sense
    of ACSM and Surgeon General, or experts in the sense of Joe's
    Fitness Corporation. We've (down at the peon level I'm at) been
    visited by folks of the latter type. Certainly there's no
    program and no guidance on how to get from here (40 years
    sedentary) to there (6x30 aerobic), nor mention that you can't
    necessarily start in week 1 with the 6x30 (not even to note
    that if you're, say, severely overweight, have a history of
    heart disease in your family, have a cholesterol of 300 and
    ratio of 10:1, and resting BP of 200/140, that maybe you should
    talk to a doctor before starting).

    In terms of activities, the first note lead to a list of
    activities, not just walk/run. The second note was specifying
    10,000 steps/day, which is rather more than 30 minutes/day.

    --
    Robert Grumbine http://www.radix.net/~bobg/ Science faqs and amateur activities notes and links.
    Sagredo (Galileo Galilei) "You present these recondite matters with too much
    evidence and ease; this great facility makes them less appreciated than they
    would be had they been presented in a more abstruse manner." Two New Sciences

  6. Mike Tennent

    Mike Tennent Guest

    [email protected] (Robert Grumbine) wrote:

    > I'm getting concerned about the program my employer is trying
    >to sell to staff. It's primarily an older population (I'm well
    >to the young end) and primarily either already active, or very
    >sedentary.
    >

    ><snip>

    Hmmm, sounds similar to what's happening with a running friend of
    ours. Her husband's company is doing it. My understanding is that it's
    purpose is to reduce the company's insurance/health care costs.

    Noble purpose, but implementation sounds a bit off.

    Mike Tennent
    "IronPenguin"

  7. Forced exercise? Where do you work, Hitler Industries? You'd burn far
    more calories savagely beating the putz who thought up this tripe, out
    in the parking lot every day.

  8. amh

    amh Guest

    [email protected] (Robert Grumbine) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm getting concerned about the program my employer is trying
    > to sell to staff. It's primarily an older population (I'm well
    > to the young end) and primarily either already active, or very
    > sedentary.
    >
    > First warning flag, to me, was that they came out trying to
    > enroll everybody in a plan for _immediately_ starting 6 days a
    > week of 30 minutes a day aerobic exercise. No cautions as to
    > health status, weight, age. No ramping up.
    >
    > Second was today's, to get to 10,000 steps (pedometers being
    > offered) per day with 20% per week increases _within_ the next
    > 6 weeks. To reach 10,000/day with 'only' that increase, people
    > would already have to be over 3350 already, which I doubt is
    > common except among those who are already active and probably
    > exceeding, at least on average, the 10k steps/day anyhow.
    >
    > I know we consider 10%/week a high increase for running. Anyone
    > know what is reasonable for walking?
    >
    > Just a mess. Violates anything known about activity and
    > coaching -- it ignores the starting point of the participant,
    > it ignores the participant's goals/interests, it applies an
    > identical measure/goal for all people (25 year old men are
    > given the same target as 75 year old women), it applies
    > extremely rapid approach to those goals (immediate in the
    > 30 minutes/day 6 days/week, 6 weeks for the 10,000 steps/day).
    > Arrgh! (imho)

    Enjoy watching the carnage. I believe this is part of president Bush's
    plan to increase employment rates and decrease Social Security
    spending by killing off the old people.

    Andy

  9. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    "amh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Enjoy watching the carnage. I believe this is part of president Bush's
    > plan to increase employment rates and decrease Social Security
    > spending by killing off the old people.

    He has to try something, he current direction is a cluster **ck!!!

    -df

  10. JMA

    JMA Guest

    "Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "amh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Enjoy watching the carnage. I believe this is part of president Bush's
    >> plan to increase employment rates and decrease Social Security
    >> spending by killing off the old people.

    > He has to try something, he current direction is a cluster **ck!!!
    >
    > -df

    AHA - I used that term (cluster**ck) yesterday and had no idea where I got
    it from. Yes, I'd heard it before, but now it all makes sense...
    You're having an undue influence on me. Frightening.

    Jenn
    who also drank beers after running yesterday