Walking with cycling shoes SPD/SPR-R/SPD-SL/Look/Crankbrothers/Speedplay compatible

xenovier

Aug 2, 2007
I have browsed the entire forum to look for answers to the above question, but they are all over the place and I end up being confused without getting a clear answer.

I've also read from a website which makes a lot of sense but I still have doubts .

http://www.cycletrack.net/parts/pedal/thread6.html

Is there anyone can introduce the difference of SPD/SPD-R/SPD-SL clearly?

So far I generally understood that SPD is for MTB, SPR-R is the older version for road pedals, SPD-SL is the newer, and better version? Am I correct?

This is the part that confuses me, compatibility issues.

Am I correct to say that:

1)Some shoes can fit SPD cleats, and SPD cleats only works on SPD pedals.
2)Some shoes can fit SPD-R cleats, and SPD-R cleats only works on SPD-R pedals.
3)Some shoes can fit SPD-SL cleats, and SPD-SL cleats only works on SPD-R pedals.

4) Some shoes can fit a combination of SPD/SPD-R/SPD-SL but can only work with the designated pedals.
---

Then there's other brands like Look, Crankbrothers, Speedplay etc...

1)Some shoes fit Look cleats, and Look cleats only work on Look pedals.
2)Some shoes fit Crankbrothers cleats, and Crankbrothers cleats only work on Crankbrothers pedals.
3)Some shoes fit Speedplay cleats, and Speedplay cleats only work on Speedplay pedals.
4)Some shoes can fit all kinds of cleats regardless of brand, but it must be compatible with the designated pedal, and the pedal has to be the same brand as the cleats.

This would be assuming these brands have no other categories like Shimano labelling SPD/SPD-R/SPD-SL. They probably have, but I'm not aware of it?

Will it be possible for different brand cleats to fit on different brand pedals in any situation?

---

I understand floating cleats make it easier to clip/unclip, but the downside is it sometimes unclips by accident, as opposed to fixed cleats which are excellent for long distance without the need to unclip.

Now what does it mean by 6 degree float, or 10 degree float?

---

Lastly, what's the best advice if I want enjoyable and efficient commuting, plus comfortable walking?

I currently ride an Avant Giro 2007 Road bike with PD-R540 pedals, and another old school Peugeot road bike with PD-M515 pedals.

In my current situation, where I ride both equally, what recommendations of brand/shoes/cleats/pedals/ should I be looking for?

As much as I wish to cut cost, I won't mind if I need to replace either one of the pedals.

I would rate the priorities as:
1)Comfortable to walk around, even better if I can run.
2)Price and Durability
3)Easy clipping in/out at traffic lights.

---

Kool Kovers cleat protectors

I just found that on eBay, suppose to make walking more comfortable and reduce the wear of cleats from walking? Comments?
biggrin.gif

---

Thanks a bunch in advance to your answers!
cool.gif

Kool covers do work, but your feet start to hurt after a little bit of walking. Its like having a good sized rock in your shoe just behind the toes. There are only two ways to acheive the perfect riding/walking shoe combination. One is to carry a pair of regular shoes with you when you ride. Maybe you can find a Camelback that is big enough to fit a pair of shoes. The other alternative is to learn how to ride with toe clips and straps and a pair of stiff soled running shoes. Use this combination when you are riding someplace where you plan on getting off the bike and walking a bit. Keep your clipless pedals for training and competing, if thats what you do.

I just got my clipless pedals (Shimano Ultegra PD-6620) they are the new SPD-SL type and I love them...as for walking well thats a trick but I carry my sandals with me in the car if I drove to where I will be cycling so I can change them out...as for unclipping by accident...mine are set at the lowest possible setting for me to learn on and there is no way in HELL that I could generate enough power by pedalling to unclip them by accident...I really have to think about it when I stop to twist hard enough to get them to release...ifyou get the SPD-SL they make a red clip that has no float if you don't want it...but you better try the yellows first...a little easier on the knees from what I'm told...

As for shoes...well some have two hole/three hole...some have just one or the other...the good news is that the pedals come with the cleats you need...then you just have to find a shoe that will accomodate them...

xenovier said:
I have browsed the entire forum to look for answers to the above question, but they are all over the place and I end up being confused without getting a clear answer.

I've also read from a website which makes a lot of sense but I still have doubts .

http://www.cycletrack.net/parts/pedal/thread6.html

Is there anyone can introduce the difference of SPD/SPD-R/SPD-SL clearly?

So far I generally understood that SPD is for MTB, SPR-R is the older version for road pedals, SPD-SL is the newer, and better version? Am I correct?

This is the part that confuses me, compatibility issues.

Am I correct to say that:

1)Some shoes can fit SPD cleats, and SPD cleats only works on SPD pedals.
2)Some shoes can fit SPD-R cleats, and SPD-R cleats only works on SPD-R pedals.
3)Some shoes can fit SPD-SL cleats, and SPD-SL cleats only works on SPD-R pedals.

4) Some shoes can fit a combination of SPD/SPD-R/SPD-SL but can only work with the designated pedals.
---

Then there's other brands like Look, Crankbrothers, Speedplay etc...

1)Some shoes fit Look cleats, and Look cleats only work on Look pedals.
2)Some shoes fit Crankbrothers cleats, and Crankbrothers cleats only work on Crankbrothers pedals.
3)Some shoes fit Speedplay cleats, and Speedplay cleats only work on Speedplay pedals.
4)Some shoes can fit all kinds of cleats regardless of brand, but it must be compatible with the designated pedal, and the pedal has to be the same brand as the cleats.

This would be assuming these brands have no other categories like Shimano labelling SPD/SPD-R/SPD-SL. They probably have, but I'm not aware of it?

Will it be possible for different brand cleats to fit on different brand pedals in any situation?

---

I understand floating cleats make it easier to clip/unclip, but the downside is it sometimes unclips by accident, as opposed to fixed cleats which are excellent for long distance without the need to unclip.

Now what does it mean by 6 degree float, or 10 degree float?

---

Lastly, what's the best advice if I want enjoyable and efficient commuting, plus comfortable walking?

I currently ride an Avant Giro 2007 Road bike with PD-R540 pedals, and another old school Peugeot road bike with PD-M515 pedals.

In my current situation, where I ride both equally, what recommendations of brand/shoes/cleats/pedals/ should I be looking for?

As much as I wish to cut cost, I won't mind if I need to replace either one of the pedals.

I would rate the priorities as:
1)Comfortable to walk around, even better if I can run.
2)Price and Durability
3)Easy clipping in/out at traffic lights.

---

Kool Kovers cleat protectors

I just found that on eBay, suppose to make walking more comfortable and reduce the wear of cleats from walking? Comments?
biggrin.gif

---

Thanks a bunch in advance to your answers!
cool.gif
That's a long question. Here's the basics:

The basic SPD pedal and at least some of the Speedplays use a cleat that can be recessed into the sole of the shoe. That makes it possible to walk more normally. Virtually all of the people who I ride with use this style of pedal for that reason. The downside is that the small cleat has been associated with causing "hot spots" on the bottom of your foot. If you care, you'll also lose style points for using SPD pedals on a road bike.

Look, SPD-R and most of the other road pedals use a much larger cleat. That spreads the pedaling force over a larger area of your foot but makes you walk like a duck.

Float is the amoung of side-to-side movement your pedals and cleats allow before causing you to clip out. Many people complain of knee pain from riding with no float pedal systems. To me at least, the zero float pedals are easier to unclip. Until I tried Shimano's no-float, multi release cleat I had so much trouble unclipping that I considered going back to using clips and toe straps.