walking

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Feb 25, 2006.

  1. Take a Hike

    The average American walks (according to a 1990 UCLA study) 1.4 miles
    per week. That is a little less than 4 football fields per day! By
    some estimates the typical New Yorker walks twice that, this is nothing
    to be proud of. As humans we are engineered for adaptation and
    movement. Without these two components we would surely die as a
    species.

    According to my college anthropology book, our primal ancestors walked
    8-10 miles per day (an educated guess); and to make things more
    fascinating they primarily locomoted on diverse terrain. Believe it or
    not, our symmetrical and smooth human built environment may be harder
    to walk on (for our joints). Currently, most of us only use one gait
    pattern, which induces slow insensitive and dumb movement patterns.
    The modern homogeneous environments force our bodies to stress our
    anatomical structures in exactly the same fashion with every step.
    Over time these repetitive actions cause "pattern overload" which leads
    to wear grooves within our joint structures and begins the injury
    cycle. In contrast, walking on uneven imperfect terrain may be easier
    on your anatomy because it gives these bodily structures a respite from
    the monotony.

    Our bodies and brains depend on movement for life. Once you stop
    moving, your body starts to break down. Like the old adage says; "if
    you don't use it, you will lose it." Over time a sedentary
    individuals' joints freeze up, their soft tissue becomes tight, their
    blood O2 level begin to drop, anatomical dysfunction sets in, and the
    longer they go without moving the faster depression sets in. That's
    right, depression is a correlate to lack of movement. Sixty years ago,
    when the average man burned 500 more calories per day, we had half of
    the depression we have today. Think about a situation where an
    animals' movement is severely limited, like a caged monkey. Within a
    day and sometimes hours, it will illustrate common signs of depression
    and lethargy. The human animal responds the same way.

    So what can you do? Start with walking more. Take a hike, walk on the
    beach, climb a mountain, walk through the rambles (just not at night),
    walk in the water etc. If you don't all ready have one, purchase a
    pedometer. Studies show that people who wear a pedometer walk 30% more
    than they did without one.

    Listed below are the guidelines for walking (note: 2000 steps equal a
    mile).

    Pedometer-determined physical activity in healthy adults:

    1) Under 5000 steps/day = sedentary/lazy
    2) 5,000-7,499 steps/day = low active
    3) 7,500-9,999 steps/day = somewhat active
    4) 10,000 steps/day = active
    5) 12,500 or more steps/day = highly active

    Where are you?

    www.joachimstraining.com

    Tags:

  2. On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:56:29 -0500, "Steve Freides"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >and stop calling me
    >Shirley!

    Yes, he prefers "Shirl with a whirl".