walkman - illegal, immoral or just fattening?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Michael Green, Jun 11, 2003.

  1. I have just been advised by a young man in a car that listening to my walkman style radio whilst
    cycling is 'illegal'

    Any thoughts?

    Tags:

  2. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    On 11 Jun 2003 10:56:47 -0700, [email protected] (Michael Green) wrote:

    >I have just been advised by a young man in a car that listening to my walkman style radio whilst
    >cycling is 'illegal'
    >
    >Any thoughts?

    dunno about illegal, but might verge on the dangerous, sound is useful as well as sight when it
    comes to road awareness...we pays our money..

    he wasn't using a mobile phone at the time was he? :)

    bob

  3. Will Plummer

    Will Plummer Guest

    I agree that it`s probably not illegal - I have used one myself off the road. You really pick up a
    lot of stuff with your hearing though: cars round blind corners, pre daft overtaking down shifts,
    irate motorists urging you to go forth and multiply etc.

    Not that being unable to hear seems to affect spotty youths in body kitted Novas though.

  4. "Will Plummer" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I agree that it`s probably not illegal - I have used one myself off the road. You really pick up a
    > lot of stuff with your hearing though: cars round blind corners, pre daft overtaking down shifts,
    > irate motorists urging you to go forth and multiply etc.

    badly indexed gears about to jump onto the next sprocket as soon as you stand on the pedal ...

    the noise of your mudguard coming loose ...

    -dan

    --

    http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources

  5. "Michael Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have just been advised by a young man in a car that listening to my walkman style radio whilst
    > cycling is 'illegal'

    Not illegal, just dangerous.

    Rich

  6. I don't agree that it's dangerous at all. About 20 years ago I lived in London and I experimented
    with a walkman while cycling to work. At the time the standard walkman earphones rested on your ears
    rather than in them. I discovered that you heard the traffic BETTER wearing them than not. I think
    that they greatly reduced the effect of the wind over your ears. With a car behind and this type of
    earphone you could NOT hear the walkman.

  7. "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I don't agree that it's dangerous at all. About 20 years ago I lived in London and I experimented
    > with a walkman
    while
    > cycling to work. At the time the standard walkman earphones rested on your ears rather than in
    > them. I discovered that you heard the traffic BETTER wearing them than not. I think that they
    > greatly reduced the effect of the wind over your ears.
    With
    > a car behind and this type of earphone you could NOT hear the walkman.

    Interesting. Clearly that was your experience with the type of headphones and volume setting you
    were using. It seems difficult to believe, though, that would be the universal experience of
    everyone who uses a walkman while riding. At least I think you would have to admit that it is
    dangerous if the user is more aware of the sound of their music than they are of the sound of
    traffic around them.

    Rich

  8. John Blake

    John Blake Guest

    In message id <[email protected]> on Wed, 11 Jun 2003
    20:23:23 +0100, Daniel Barlow wrote in uk.rec.cycling :

    >"Will Plummer" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> I agree that it`s probably not illegal - I have used one myself off the road. You really pick up
    >> a lot of stuff with your hearing though: cars round blind corners, pre daft overtaking down
    >> shifts, irate motorists urging you to go forth and multiply etc.
    >
    >badly indexed gears about to jump onto the next sprocket as soon as you stand on the pedal ...
    >
    >the noise of your mudguard coming loose ...

    These are the kind of noises I miss out on when cycling around Sarf Lunnden. I have in ear
    headphones which are of variable use on windy days, usually getting blown out. I can hear the motor
    engines no problem but miss picking up the unusual from the bike underneath me.

    --
    I don't do arguments, read the reply properly to get the context. Kind regards. If you want to take
    it to email remove THE SPAM BLOKA

  9. David Gillbe

    David Gillbe Guest

    "Michael Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have just been advised by a young man in a car that listening to my walkman style radio whilst
    > cycling is 'illegal'
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    I listen with one ear one the road, and one ear plugged in. I can still hear the real world, but I
    get some entertainment as well. Ta Dave

  10. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    "David Gillbe" <david.NO^&[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Michael Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have just been advised by a young man in a car that listening to my walkman style radio whilst
    > > cycling is 'illegal'
    > >
    > > Any thoughts?
    >
    > I listen with one ear one the road, and one ear plugged in. I can still
    hear
    > the real world, but I get some entertainment as well. Ta Dave

    Yep - radio on a mono round-ear ear-phone for me.

  11. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys
    at the keyboard of Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Any thoughts?
    >
    > dunno about illegal, but might verge on the dangerous, sound is useful as well as sight when it
    > comes to road awareness...we pays our money..

    Some years ago, I cycled in a club that had a profoundly deaf member. Obviously he was missing the
    auditory information most of us take for granted whilst riding, but he never seemed unduly
    dangerous.

    --
    Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
    Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

  12. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Michael Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have just been advised by a young man in a car that listening to my walkman style radio whilst
    > cycling is 'illegal'
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Turn the volume higher. Then you can't hear the prats.

    :)

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Michael Green
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > I have just been advised by a young man in a car that listening to my walkman style radio whilst
    > cycling is 'illegal'

    It is possible that you could be had for cycling without due care and attention - emphasis being on
    the latter on the basis that you could not hear properly through the headphones. I suspect a similar
    charge could be made against a driver wearing headphones. Please note this is not an endorsement of
    such a charge, before the flame guns get pointed in my direction ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  14. Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 11 Jun 2003 10:56:47 -0700, [email protected] (Michael Green) wrote:
    >
    > >I have just been advised by a young man in a car that listening to my walkman style radio whilst
    > >cycling is 'illegal'
    > >
    > >Any thoughts?
    >
    > dunno about illegal, but might verge on the dangerous, sound is useful as well as sight when it
    > comes to road awareness...we pays our money..
    >
    > he wasn't using a mobile phone at the time was he? :)
    >
    > bob

    Yes. He was dialling while in the que to join a roundabout.

  15. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> writes:

    > It is possible that you could be had for cycling without due care and attention - emphasis being
    > on the latter on the basis that you could not hear properly through the headphones. I suspect a
    > similar charge could be made against a driver wearing headphones. Please note this is not an
    > endorsement of such a charge, before the flame guns get pointed in my direction ;-)

    Given the lengths to which car designers go to insulate the interior from ambient noise, I suspect
    that a similar charge could be made against a driver of any car with the windows closed. To have the
    windows closed _and_ the car stereo turned on is positively reckless.

    -dan

    --

  16. "Daniel Barlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Given the lengths to which car designers go to insulate the interior from ambient noise, I suspect
    > that a similar charge could be made against a driver of any car with the windows closed. To have
    > the windows closed _and_ the car stereo turned on is positively reckless.

    Actually I generally don't use the radio/stereo when driving specifically because I find listening
    to car and traffic noise important. Driving with the windows open isn't so helpful though because
    the wind rush actually makes it harder to hear some of those sounds. In general, although some
    people certainly do drive with their stereos set at deafening volume, I suspect that it is less
    likely to affect your ability to hear what is going on around you as much as in-the-ear headphones
    set at high volume would..

    Rich

  17. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    I find the hearing sense essential on a bike. On occasions when I can't hear (cycling into strong
    wind,for example), I tend to be startled when a car comes past me without me having heard it. I
    value the ability to be able to hear the boy racer from 300m back. This gives me time to look back,
    work out if he has seen me, and if necessary take to the trees. There's no way I'd wear earphones
    while riding.

    Boring, I know, but I've never been hit by a car yet.

    Peter.

    news:<[email protected]>...

  18. In article <[email protected]>, Simon Mason wrote:

    >Our local coppers use earpieces as they ride on their bikes, so they *must* be legal. After all the
    >police would not break the law, would they?

    Only proves it's legal for them. Our local coppers drive though red lights with blue flashing lights
    and a siren on their car, but I don't recommend you try fitting blue flashing lights and a siren to
    try it in your car :).

  19. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], al_Mossah
    <[email protected]nospambtopenworld.com> typed:

    > Boring, I know, but I've never been hit by a car yet.

    That sort of statement is usually followed the same day by being hit by a car ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  20. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    news:[email protected]...
    wrote:

    > >Our local coppers use earpieces as they ride on their bikes, so they *must* be legal. After all
    > >the police would not break the law, would they?
    >
    > Only proves it's legal for them. Our local coppers drive though red lights with blue flashing
    > lights and a siren on their car, but I don't recommend you try fitting blue flashing lights and a
    > siren to try it in your car
    :).

    Yes, I believe they graft another hand onto the police officer's arm when they leave training
    college so that they can use their mobiles and hand held radios safely as they drive along.