Walks near Cockermouth

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Badger Brock, Apr 9, 2006.

  1. Badger Brock

    Badger Brock Guest

    Taking a 4 day break and staying in Cockermouth. Have the wife with me
    so can you suggest any great walks, both short & not too strenuous
    (with wife) and hill climbing (for me) in location. I'm told Lorton
    valley is a treasure.

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Tim Jackson

    Tim Jackson Guest

    On 9 Apr 2006 05:55:35 -0700, Badger Brock wrote...
    > Taking a 4 day break and staying in Cockermouth. Have the wife with me
    > so can you suggest any great walks, both short & not too strenuous
    > (with wife) and hill climbing (for me) in location. I'm told Lorton
    > valley is a treasure.

    I can't speak for Lorton Vale itself, but there's lots of scope for less
    strenuous walks around Crummock Water, Loweswater and Buttermere. E.g.
    the views from the lakeshore path around Buttermere were voted the
    second best in the country a few years ago. (Though I've no idea how
    the vote was organised - apparently Chesil Beach was first.)

    For your hill climbing, you could explore the North Western fells. For
    example park at Lanthwaite Green (NY 159209), climb Whiteside, Hopegill
    Head, Grisedale Pike, then double back to Coledale Hause. Back via
    Gasgale Gill. Take in Eel Crag/Crag Hill and/or Grasmoor if time
    permits. (But from Grasmoor, don't be tempted to take the direct route
    back down to Lanthwaite Green.)

    --
    Tim Jackson
    [email protected]lid

  3. "Badger Brock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Taking a 4 day break and staying in Cockermouth. Have the wife with me
    > so can you suggest any great walks, both short & not too strenuous
    > (with wife) and hill climbing (for me) in location. I'm told Lorton
    > valley is a treasure.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Try a circuit of Mellbreak

    Park at carpark scale hill NY149215 and follow minor roads to Park Bridge
    NY144205 up through Flass wood onto track on west side of Mellbreak. Take
    left fork at NY140187. At sheepfold NY142184 make a decision left up hill to
    summit or level walk straight on. From summit head south on faint path right
    at wall to rejoin path you left at sheepfold. Down to Black Beck, over
    stile, staying on north side of beck to Crummock Shore.Stick to shore going
    north past pumphouse NY151205 over footbridge and north through Lantwaite
    wood back to car park. About 6.5 miles.Used to do it with pupils from school
    I taught at as a first lakes walk.The pupils though used to stop for a swim
    at Low Ling Crag NY165183.

    Roger

  4. Jhimmy

    Jhimmy Guest

    "Badger Brock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Taking a 4 day break and staying in Cockermouth. Have the wife with me
    > so can you suggest any great walks, both short & not too strenuous
    > (with wife) and hill climbing (for me) in location. I'm told Lorton
    > valley is a treasure.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Loads of walks all aroound that that area - Buttermere is only 20 minutes
    drive away. Don't forget to climb Watch Hill, it's a marilyn, and it's an
    easy walk from the town centre. There's excellent views from there.

    Jhimmy

    Watch Hill

  5. Tim Jackson

    Tim Jackson Guest

    On 9 Apr 2006 05:55:35 -0700, Badger Brock wrote...
    > Taking a 4 day break and staying in Cockermouth. Have the wife with me
    > so can you suggest any great walks, both short & not too strenuous
    > (with wife) and hill climbing (for me) in location. I'm told Lorton
    > valley is a treasure.

    If you want to treat the wife to a nice meal after she's let you out
    hill walking, I can recommend Quince & Medlar in Cockermouth.

    <http://www.quinceandmedlar.co.uk>.

    Run by a husband and wife team, it's a vegetarian restaurant, but don't
    let that put you off if you're normally a carnivore.

    --

  6. Badger Brock wrote:
    > Taking a 4 day break and staying in Cockermouth. Have the wife with me
    > so can you suggest any great walks, both short & not too strenuous
    > (with wife) and hill climbing (for me) in location. I'm told Lorton
    > valley is a treasure.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi there, there's plent to do, if you're after short walks then the
    Wythop Valley is worth a look Ling Fell and Sale Fell are both pretty
    short walks, but with great views and only a few miles from
    Cockermouth.

    As already mentioned Mellbreak is a fantastic Fell, Low Fell opposite
    is a good shorter fell walk with some of the best views in the area
    from the summit!

    Braithwaite is only a short drive and the Newlands Horseshoe s a good
    longer walk as are many from Ennerdale or Buttermere areas, and the
    Back of Skiddaw is pretty close, including the Ullock Pike ridge up
    Skiddaw.

    If you want to walk from town the I usually head up the Watch Hill /
    Setmurthy Common ridge or over Slate Fell, a good short walk from the
    town.

    John (in Cockermouth)
    http://www.thelakedistrictwalker.com

  7. Tim Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > If you want to treat the wife to a nice meal after she's let you out
    > hill walking, I can recommend Quince & Medlar in Cockermouth.
    >
    > <http://www.quinceandmedlar.co.uk>.
    >
    > Run by a husband and wife team, it's a vegetarian restaurant, but don't
    > let that put you off if you're normally a carnivore.

    And make sure you try the french vegetarian beer.

    -adrian

  8. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected]lid said...
    > the views from the lakeshore path around Buttermere were voted the
    > second best in the country a few years ago. (Though I've no idea how
    > the vote was organised - apparently Chesil Beach was first.)

    Chesil Beach?? *Views*???
    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  9. Tim Jackson

    Tim Jackson Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:39:33 +0100, Fran wrote...
    > [email protected]lid said...
    > > the views from the lakeshore path around Buttermere were voted the
    > > second best in the country a few years ago. (Though I've no idea how
    > > the vote was organised - apparently Chesil Beach was first.)
    > >

    > Chesil Beach?? *Views*???

    It seems I got it wrong - it was only third.
    http://www.countrylife.co.uk/picturelibrary/best_views.html

    Some interesting spellings, though, and apparently there's hope yet that
    we'll get Paul to go walking in Buttermere. If Mohammed won't go to the
    mountain...

    --
    Tim Jackson
    [email protected]lid
    (Change '.invalid' to '.com' to reply direct)
    Absurd patents: visit http://www.patent.freeserve.co.uk

  10. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Tim
    Jackson <[email protected]> writes
    >On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:39:33 +0100, Fran wrote...
    >> [email protected]lid said...
    >> > the views from the lakeshore path around Buttermere were voted the
    >> > second best in the country a few years ago. (Though I've no idea how
    >> > the vote was organised - apparently Chesil Beach was first.)
    >> >

    >> Chesil Beach?? *Views*???

    >It seems I got it wrong - it was only third.
    >http://www.countrylife.co.uk/picturelibrary/best_views.html
    >
    >Some interesting spellings, though, and apparently there's hope yet that
    >we'll get Paul to go walking in Buttermere. If Mohammed won't go to the
    >mountain...

    Next door to the CO-OP on the Kingsway :)
    ...............OOH /THAT/Buttermere :)
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk