walks you havent done

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by The Reid, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    but wished you had?

    For me its 250 Munros
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site

    Tags:

  2. On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:38:06 +0000, The Reid <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    |Walk-eat-photos

    No thanks photos are a bit chewy, they do not improve after a walk. ;-)
    --
    Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
    Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are

  3. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    The Reid wrote:

    >but wished you had?
    >
    >For me its 250 Munros

    If you want to be a sad bagger living in London you have to make some
    sacrifices, like not going to Spain very often. I'm about due a long
    overseas holiday but I keep heading up the Road To the Hills aka the
    M74.

    I wish I had a few more Corbetts under my feet, but the Munros are
    attracting a fair bit of attention at the moment as I close in on
    halfway, Martin and I have a date to keep with Ben More.

    135/284

  4. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    Following up to Phil Cook

    >>For me its 250 Munros

    >If you want to be a sad bagger living in London you have to make some
    >sacrifices, like not going to Spain very often. I'm about due a long
    >overseas holiday but I keep heading up the Road To the Hills aka the
    >M74.

    we've been doing the islands, northern and western

    >I wish I had a few more Corbetts under my feet, but the Munros are
    >attracting a fair bit of attention at the moment as I close in on
    >halfway, Martin and I have a date to keep with Ben More.

    I was trying to keep up with my age in Munros but I'm 7 behind
    since Carols back has ruled out trips where she has nothing to
    do, hence lots of Wasdale repeats.
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site
    Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all, it's a spamtrap

  5. Graham Seed

    Graham Seed Guest

  6. In message <[email protected]>, The Reid
    <[email protected]> writes
    >but wished you had?
    >
    >For me its 250 Munros

    For me it is the ridges from those M***os which have Corbetts right next
    to them and I just said - "Oh! Leave it. I'll never get round to
    Corbetteering - these bloody M***os will take me the rest of my life".

    --
    Martin Richardson
    283/284 Munros - 0.35% to go 34/34 'Furths'- 0% to go

  7. Michael C

    Michael C Guest

    "The Reid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:7vn8029q9[email protected]
    > but wished you had?
    >
    > For me its 250 Munros
    > --
    > Mike Reid

    Given that I live 20 minutes drive away from Pen y Pass I really should get
    around to doing the Snowdon Horseshoe this year!

  8. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from The Reid <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > but wished you had?

    Most Corbetts, Irish 3000s, Greater Traverse of the Cuillins, Cambrian
    Way, Offas Dyke, Coast to Coast ... I could go on for hours but the two
    I really regret is never getting to Ireland and failing on the Greater
    Traverse almost within sight of the end (half way up Clach Glas).

    --
    Roger Chapman

  9. In message <[email protected]>, Roger
    <[email protected]> writes
    >The message <[email protected]>
    >from The Reid <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    >> but wished you had?

    >Most Corbetts, Irish 3000s, Greater Traverse of the Cuillins, Cambrian
    >Way, Offas Dyke, Coast to Coast ... I could go on for hours but the two
    >I really regret is never getting to Ireland and failing on the Greater
    >Traverse almost within sight of the end (half way up Clach Glas).

    Then why don't you go to Ireland now? It opens a whole new arena.

    --
    Martin Richardson
    283/284 Munros - 0.35% to go 34/34 'Furths'- 0% to go
    56/89 Donalds - 37% to go 502/1554 Marilyns - 68% to go
    376/525 Hewitts - 28% to go (E=178/178; W=137/137; I=61/211)

  10. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from Martin Richardson <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > >Most Corbetts, Irish 3000s, Greater Traverse of the Cuillins, Cambrian
    > >Way, Offas Dyke, Coast to Coast ... I could go on for hours but the two
    > >I really regret is never getting to Ireland and failing on the Greater
    > >Traverse almost within sight of the end (half way up Clach Glas).
    > >

    > Then why don't you go to Ireland now? It opens a whole new arena.

    Too much organisation. I have only managed to get out walking for one
    weekend since last August and that was in October. Patterdale planned
    for this weekend but the weather may prevent me getting there.

    --
    Roger Chapman

  11. Rob Devereux

    Rob Devereux Guest

    "Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The message <[email protected]>
    > from The Reid <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    > > but wished you had?

    > Most Corbetts, Irish 3000s,

    Saying that reminded me that I need to do Galtymore in visibility. I'd also
    have liked to do a few munros before Scotland got to be quite the honeypot
    it now is, but unfortunately time machines arent invented yet.

  12. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Rob Devereux wrote:

    >"Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> The message <[email protected]>
    >> from The Reid <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >>
    >> > but wished you had?

    >> Most Corbetts, Irish 3000s,

    >Saying that reminded me that I need to do Galtymore in visibility. I'd also
    >have liked to do a few munros before Scotland got to be quite the honeypot
    >it now is, but unfortunately time machines arent invented yet.

    Scotland a honeypot? OK some some areas like Glen Coe can rival the
    ELD for overcrowding but there is so much space up there it is
    possible to walk for days without seeing people even on Munros. If you
    really want solitude try Corbetts mid week.

  13. Roger wrote

    > Patterdale planned
    > for this weekend but the weather may prevent me getting there.

    Crumbs. I hope not. We're supposed to be doing the Northern
    fells (!?)

    Chris

  14. At 64 with 60 odd Munros to do that is my wish, particularly as my
    current knee problem seems to be going into abeyance - and I heard
    recently that the traverse of Stob Coire Sgreamhach from Gen Etive is
    well worth doing, particularly under winter conditions.

    Rob

  15. Rob Devereux

    Rob Devereux Guest

    "Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Rob Devereux wrote:
    >

    > >"Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]
    > >> The message <[email protected]>
    > >> from The Reid <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > >> Most Corbetts, Irish 3000s,

    > >Saying that reminded me that I need to do Galtymore in visibility. I'd

    also
    > >have liked to do a few munros before Scotland got to be quite the

    honeypot
    > >it now is, but unfortunately time machines arent invented yet.

    > Scotland a honeypot?

    What I meant was to be able to see some of the places like Tummel bridge and
    Boat of Garten when the only river crossing was the packhorse or Turnpike
    bridge and when there was very little traffic so very little road. You can
    get a feel for it by walking/cycling the old A9 between Tomintoul and
    Aviemore - the older roads were much more in keeping with the landscape and
    built in reverence to it rather than blasting great caverns through.

    Rob

  16. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Rob Devereux wrote:

    >"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >> Scotland a honeypot?

    >What I meant was to be able to see some of the places like Tummel bridge and
    >Boat of Garten when the only river crossing was the packhorse or Turnpike
    >bridge and when there was very little traffic so very little road. You can
    >get a feel for it by walking/cycling the old A9 between Tomintoul and
    >Aviemore - the older roads were much more in keeping with the landscape and
    >built in reverence to it rather than blasting great caverns through.

    Ah I see what you mean. There is now one less bit of single track road
    in the Highlands. The motorway is being extended from Achnasheen to
    Kinlochewe.

    You can get a feel for the old roads where they remain the only way.
    Applecross, Strath Oykel and the like. I love driving on those single
    track roads but only in the off season when there aren't likely to be
    any numpties about who don't know the rules.

  17. Rob Devereux

    Rob Devereux Guest

    "Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Rob Devereux wrote:
    >
    > >"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > >> Scotland a honeypot?

    > >What I meant was to be able to see some of the places like Tummel bridge

    and
    > >Boat of Garten when the only river crossing was the packhorse or Turnpike
    > >bridge and when there was very little traffic so very little road. You

    can
    > >get a feel for it by walking/cycling the old A9 between Tomintoul and
    > >Aviemore - the older roads were much more in keeping with the landscape

    and
    > >built in reverence to it rather than blasting great caverns through.

    > Ah I see what you mean. There is now one less bit of single track road
    > in the Highlands. The motorway is being extended from Achnasheen to
    > Kinlochewe.
    >
    > You can get a feel for the old roads where they remain the only way.
    > Applecross, Strath Oykel and the like. I love driving on those single
    > track roads but only in the off season when there aren't likely to be
    > any numpties about who don't know the rules.

    I agree. I love the Applecross road but that and the one to Barisdale Bay
    in Knoydart are the only two I know now. Ardnamurchan didnt look too busy
    once you had passed the towns.

  18. In message <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Rob Devereux wrote:
    >
    >>"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >>> Scotland a honeypot?

    >>What I meant was to be able to see some of the places like Tummel bridge and
    >>Boat of Garten when the only river crossing was the packhorse or Turnpike
    >>bridge and when there was very little traffic so very little road. You can
    >>get a feel for it by walking/cycling the old A9 between Tomintoul and
    >>Aviemore - the older roads were much more in keeping with the landscape and
    >>built in reverence to it rather than blasting great caverns through.

    >Ah I see what you mean. There is now one less bit of single track road
    >in the Highlands. The motorway is being extended from Achnasheen to
    >Kinlochewe.
    >
    >You can get a feel for the old roads where they remain the only way.
    >Applecross, Strath Oykel and the like. I love driving on those single
    >track roads but only in the off season when there aren't likely to be
    >any numpties about who don't know the rules.

    Especially those driving winnebagos.

    --
    Martin Richardson
    283/284 Munros - 0.35% to go 34/34 'Furths'- 0% to go
    56/89 Donalds - 37% to go 502/1554 Marilyns - 68% to go
    376/525 Hewitts - 28% to go (E=178/178; W=137/137; I=61/211)

  19. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "Rob Devereux" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Rob Devereux wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >news:[email protected]

    >> >Saying that reminded me that I need to do Galtymore in visibility. I'd

    > also
    >> >have liked to do a few munros before Scotland got to be quite the

    > honeypot
    >> >it now is, but unfortunately time machines arent invented yet.

    >> Scotland a honeypot?

    > What I meant was to be able to see some of the places like Tummel bridge
    > and
    > Boat of Garten when the only river crossing was the packhorse or Turnpike
    > bridge and when there was very little traffic so very little road. You
    > can
    > get a feel for it by walking/cycling the old A9 between Tomintoul and
    > Aviemore - the older roads were much more in keeping with the landscape
    > and
    > built in reverence to it rather than blasting great caverns through.

    "the older roads were much more in keeping with the landscape and built in
    reverence to it rather than blasting great caverns through."

    NO it wasn't for reverence! The technology just wasn't there then ;-)

    JS

  20. "The Reid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > but wished you had?
    >
    > For me its 250 Munros
    > --
    > Mike Reid
    > Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this
    > site
    > Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all,
    > it's a spamtrap

    Standing on the top of Braeriach looking across the corrie rim to Devils
    peak & Cairn Toul on a day of perfect sun and clarity one May and not going
    on but returning back to our start point because a couple of our party were
    a bit tired.

    Or after completing the grade 3 scramble up Ill Crags and looking at Broad
    Stand and thinking its a bit green and slimey so lets not bother..

    Or thinking actually I don't have to think about the walks I have not done
    yet because I still have the time to do them, thats more comforting.