Wall oven recommendations

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Feb 18, 2006.

  1. Hi, all-

    We're redoing the kitchen in the house that we've just moved in to.
    Pretty much have all of the appliances settled, with a few exceptions,
    most notably the single 30" wall oven. Leaning towards Thermador's
    C-series, as it seems to have a decent price/performance point. I'd be
    interested in hearing about others in that range. Also considering the
    JennAir at one end, and DCS at the other; I like the newly-designed
    Dacor but the pricing is getting a bit much there. Also, I'm really
    intrigued by the Electrolux Icon but can't seem to get any real
    feedback on it from people that have actually used it.

    Thanks,

    Dan Masi

    Tags:

  2. sf

    sf Guest

    On 18 Feb 2006 16:51:48 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    > Also considering the JennAir

    I have a JennAir double wall oven which I like a lot EXCEPT for the
    placement of their oven light. Mine is located on top at the back -
    so you need to either be a contortionist or know how to take the door
    off to replace a bulb without hurting yourself. If the light is still
    in that location, don't consider JennAir because such a small detail
    IS a big deal. I can't figure out how it got past their ergonomics
    team.

  3. On Sat 18 Feb 2006 07:17:33p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?

    > On 18 Feb 2006 16:51:48 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> Also considering the JennAir

    > I have a JennAir double wall oven which I like a lot EXCEPT for the
    > placement of their oven light. Mine is located on top at the back -
    > so you need to either be a contortionist or know how to take the door
    > off to replace a bulb without hurting yourself. If the light is still
    > in that location, don't consider JennAir because such a small detail
    > IS a big deal. I can't figure out how it got past their ergonomics
    > team.

    Good grief, Barbara, how often do you have to replace the light bulb that
    would make it such a bad choice? I've had oven bulbs last for years without
    needing replacement. Wouldn't a mirror help?

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  4. Thanks for that... I agree that replacing the bulb should happen
    infrequently enough that it probably wouldn't be a consideration for
    me. BUT, I have seen some ovens with a similar light placement, and it
    makes no sense from a lighting point of view. You end up looking at a
    darkened shape of roast as these blinding lights blare at you from the
    back of the oven. Definitely not user-friendly!

    -dan

  5. On Sat 18 Feb 2006 08:25:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

    > Thanks for that... I agree that replacing the bulb should happen
    > infrequently enough that it probably wouldn't be a consideration for
    > me. BUT, I have seen some ovens with a similar light placement, and it
    > makes no sense from a lighting point of view. You end up looking at a
    > darkened shape of roast as these blinding lights blare at you from the
    > back of the oven. Definitely not user-friendly!
    >
    > -dan

    Yes, Dan, but from the description, this bulb is located on the _top_ of the
    oven at the back, not on the back wall itself. The light should be shining
    down, not out. I have one of those lights on the back wall, and I agree that
    it can be a blinding light that obscures many things on the racks.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  6. sf

    sf Guest

    On 19 Feb 2006 04:35:00 +0100, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > On Sat 18 Feb 2006 08:25:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?
    >
    > > Thanks for that... I agree that replacing the bulb should happen
    > > infrequently enough that it probably wouldn't be a consideration for
    > > me. BUT, I have seen some ovens with a similar light placement, and it
    > > makes no sense from a lighting point of view. You end up looking at a
    > > darkened shape of roast as these blinding lights blare at you from the
    > > back of the oven. Definitely not user-friendly!
    > >
    > > -dan

    > Yes, Dan, but from the description, this bulb is located on the _top_ of the
    > oven at the back, not on the back wall itself.

    Have you EVER tried to replace one of them? I finally called the oven
    repair guy and spent $60 changing the danged bulb because I/we
    couldn't get the flange in correctly afterward. This was after years
    taking the bulb out to clean the oven after the scare stories I got
    here about the metal of the bulb melting during the clean cycle, so I
    thought it was worth it. I haven't had many ovens in my lifetime and
    all of them worked well, so I think I can pick at the details. I
    still think that light placement was gawdawful because I live with it
    and I highly recommend that everyone look at where the oven light is
    placed. If it's on the oven roof at the back, don't buy that oven
    unless you plan to move soon.

    > The light should be shining
    > down, not out. I have one of those lights on the back wall, and I agree that
    > it can be a blinding light that obscures many things on the racks.

    I'll take mine on the back wall. At least I can change it easily.

  7. On Sat 18 Feb 2006 09:05:23p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?

    > On 19 Feb 2006 04:35:00 +0100, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat 18 Feb 2006 08:25:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?
    >>
    >> > Thanks for that... I agree that replacing the bulb should happen
    >> > infrequently enough that it probably wouldn't be a consideration for
    >> > me. BUT, I have seen some ovens with a similar light placement, and
    >> > it makes no sense from a lighting point of view. You end up looking
    >> > at a darkened shape of roast as these blinding lights blare at you
    >> > from the back of the oven. Definitely not user-friendly!
    >> >
    >> > -dan

    >> Yes, Dan, but from the description, this bulb is located on the _top_
    >> of the oven at the back, not on the back wall itself.

    > Have you EVER tried to replace one of them? I finally called the oven
    > repair guy and spent $60 changing the danged bulb because I/we
    > couldn't get the flange in correctly afterward. This was after years
    > taking the bulb out to clean the oven after the scare stories I got
    > here about the metal of the bulb melting during the clean cycle, so I
    > thought it was worth it. I haven't had many ovens in my lifetime and
    > all of them worked well, so I think I can pick at the details. I
    > still think that light placement was gawdawful because I live with it
    > and I highly recommend that everyone look at where the oven light is
    > placed. If it's on the oven roof at the back, don't buy that oven
    > unless you plan to move soon.

    LOL! I guess I have to bow to your experience, since I haven't had one in
    that exact location. I did have one with a roof light, but it was in the
    middle of the oven, not at the back. It was very easy to change.

    >> The light should be shining
    >> down, not out. I have one of those lights on the back wall, and I
    >> agree that it can be a blinding light that obscures many things on the
    >> racks.

    > I'll take mine on the back wall. At least I can change it easily.

    Okay, so you know what to buy the next time. <veg>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  8. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat 18 Feb 2006 07:17:33p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?
    >
    >> On 18 Feb 2006 16:51:48 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >>> Also considering the JennAir

    >> I have a JennAir double wall oven which I like a lot EXCEPT for the
    >> placement of their oven light. Mine is located on top at the back -
    >> so you need to either be a contortionist or know how to take the door
    >> off to replace a bulb without hurting yourself. If the light is still
    >> in that location, don't consider JennAir because such a small detail
    >> IS a big deal. I can't figure out how it got past their ergonomics
    >> team.

    > Good grief, Barbara, how often do you have to replace the light bulb that
    > would make it such a bad choice? I've had oven bulbs last for years
    > without
    > needing replacement. Wouldn't a mirror help?
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    Or a contortionist?
    Dee Dee

  9. sf

    sf Guest

    On 19 Feb 2006 05:24:02 +0100, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > Okay, so you know what to buy the next time. <veg>

    I only know what *not* to buy.
    :)

  10. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:[email protected]
    [email protected] wrote:

    > Leaning towards Thermador's C-series, as it seems to have a decent
    > price/performance point.

    We have a 6 year old Thermador S301T (non-convection); exactly how it
    relates to Thermador's current products, I don't know.

    As an oven, it works just fine, but it's been unreliable.

    It was DOA; a cable from the control panel had been pinched between some
    sheet metal and wires were broken. This suggests it wasn't inspected and
    tested before shipping.

    Since then, we had one total failure which resulted in all the internal
    electronics and the control panel being replaced under warranty, and
    more recently, the display dimmed to invisibility and most of the
    electronics, minus the control panel, had to be replaced, this time at
    our expense.

    The oven occasionally loses its mind and has to be reset by turning off
    the breaker. No apparent harm done, but annoying. This hasn't happened
    since the last electronics upgrade.

    Maybe their current products are more reliable; I'd ask around.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN [email protected]

  11. sf

    sf Guest

    On 19 Feb 2006 17:32:08 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

    > The oven occasionally loses its mind and has to be reset by turning off
    > the breaker. No apparent harm done, but annoying. This hasn't happened
    > since the last electronics upgrade.
    >
    > Maybe their current products are more reliable; I'd ask around.

    This is what I hate about computer driven anythings... they have to be
    rebooted from time to time. I want as few bells and whistles on my
    appliances as humanly possibe in this day and age and a self-cleaning
    oven is as modern as I want to go. Forget about digital displays and
    touch pads. Bah, humbug.

  12. jay

    jay Guest

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 16:51:48 -0800, danmasi wrote:

    > Hi, all-

    Leaning towards Thermador's
    > C-series Also considering the JennAir at one end, and DCS at the other;
    > I like the newly-designed Dacor but the pricing is getting a bit much
    > there. Also, I'm really intrigued by the Electrolux Icon but can't seem
    > to get any real feedback on it from people that have actually used it.

    You are leaning correctly.

    JennAir is Maytag.. I have had JennAir and would never buy it again.
    Maytag should stick to washing machines and blue cheese. Thermador is a
    much better product in my opinion as is Dacor. DCS is now Fisher & Paykel.
    Thermador and Dacor are more upscale and my experience with upscale is
    that it can come with more maintenance. An electric oven should provide
    years of carefree service .. they actually last way too long.. so choose
    carefully.

    I would buy an electric oven, as large as the space allows and if the
    budget allows throw in convection. I know of no one that is sorry they
    bought convection..but will surely here from some now.

  13. [email protected] wrote:
    > Hi, all-
    >
    > We're redoing the kitchen in the house that we've just moved in to.
    > Pretty much have all of the appliances settled, with a few exceptions,
    > most notably the single 30" wall oven. Leaning towards Thermador's
    > C-series, as it seems to have a decent price/performance point. I'd be
    > interested in hearing about others in that range. Also considering the
    > JennAir at one end, and DCS at the other; I like the newly-designed
    > Dacor but the pricing is getting a bit much there. Also, I'm really
    > intrigued by the Electrolux Icon but can't seem to get any real
    > feedback on it from people that have actually used it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dan Masi

    I have a Maytag double oven. electric. Works great. It holds 350
    perfect.

  14. Fred

    Fred Guest

    LOVE our Fisher& Paykel

    --

    news:[email protected]

  15. [email protected] wrote:

    > Hi, all-
    >
    > We're redoing the kitchen in the house that we've just moved in to.
    > Pretty much have all of the appliances settled, with a few exceptions,
    > most notably the single 30" wall oven. Leaning towards Thermador's
    > C-series, as it seems to have a decent price/performance point. I'd be
    > interested in hearing about others in that range. Also considering the
    > JennAir at one end, and DCS at the other; I like the newly-designed
    > Dacor but the pricing is getting a bit much there. Also, I'm really
    > intrigued by the Electrolux Icon but can't seem to get any real
    > feedback on it from people that have actually used it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dan Masi

    We've got Dacor dual wall ovens and they perform admirably. The only
    thing that I don't really care for is the way that you have to set the
    timers...

    TL

    --

    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist
    the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

    H.L. Mencken

  16. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    [email protected] (Bert Hyman) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > The oven occasionally loses its mind and has to be reset by turning
    > off the breaker. No apparent harm done, but annoying. This hasn't
    > happened since the last electronics upgrade.

    Spoke too soon...

    Last night our Thermador S301, which hadn't been used at all
    yesterday, beeped twice, displayed "F7" and started beeping
    continuously. While I was on my way downstairs to turn it off, the
    display changed to "F1". Turning it off and back on seems to have
    cleared the fault, but I'm still gonna have to have it checked out.

    Good thing it didn't do that in the middle of the night.

    Grumble ...

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | [email protected]

  17. sf

    sf Guest

    On 02 Mar 2006 13:54:47 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

    > [email protected] (Bert Hyman) wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    > > The oven occasionally loses its mind and has to be reset by turning
    > > off the breaker. No apparent harm done, but annoying. This hasn't
    > > happened since the last electronics upgrade.

    > Spoke too soon...
    >
    > Last night our Thermador S301, which hadn't been used at all
    > yesterday, beeped twice, displayed "F7" and started beeping
    > continuously. While I was on my way downstairs to turn it off, the
    > display changed to "F1". Turning it off and back on seems to have
    > cleared the fault, but I'm still gonna have to have it checked out.
    >
    > Good thing it didn't do that in the middle of the night.

    Basically, it's computer driven and you needed to reboot it. For
    reasons like those above, I'm going to hunt for appliances that are as
    low tech as possible when I need to replace what I have now.