Wally

Tom Crispin

Guest
I met a couple of friends on Westminster Bridge today for a gentle
bimble up the Thames. We saw Wally the Whale swimming free at about
10am, and then saw him being recovered on our way home at 2.30ish.

Extraordinary!

A lovely gentle ride too.

Tom Crispin wrote:

> I met a couple of friends on Westminster Bridge today for a gentle
> bimble up the Thames. We saw Wally the Whale swimming free at about
> 10am, and then saw him being recovered on our way home at 2.30ish.
>
> Extraordinary!

Just how many hundreds of thousands is this so-called rescue costing?
As people lay suffering for months waiting for life-saving operations,
quite why the well-being of a lost whale is given higher priority says a
lot about the crazy values in this country of ours.
Who is paying for this farce?
Yes, its you and me.

John B

cupra wrote:

> Unfortunately the animal died at 1900 on the recovery boat - a sad outcome.

Yes, sad. Perhaps it should have been left alone.

John B

Tom Crispin wrote:
> I met a couple of friends on Westminster Bridge today for a gentle
> bimble up the Thames. We saw Wally the Whale swimming free at about
> 10am, and then saw him being recovered on our way home at 2.30ish.
>
> Extraordinary!
>
> A lovely gentle ride too.

Unfortunately the animal died at 1900 on the recovery boat - a sad outcome.

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:57:00 -0000, " cupra"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tom Crispin wrote:
>> I met a couple of friends on Westminster Bridge today for a gentle
>> bimble up the Thames. We saw Wally the Whale swimming free at about
>> 10am, and then saw him being recovered on our way home at 2.30ish.
>>
>> Extraordinary!
>>
>> A lovely gentle ride too.

>Unfortunately the animal died at 1900 on the recovery boat - a sad outcome.

I have a couple of moderately good jpgs, taken while he was still
free, to remember him by.

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:08:33 +0000, Tom Crispin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:57:00 -0000, " cupra"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Tom Crispin wrote:
>>> I met a couple of friends on Westminster Bridge today for a gentle
>>> bimble up the Thames. We saw Wally the Whale swimming free at about
>>> 10am, and then saw him being recovered on our way home at 2.30ish.
>>>
>>> Extraordinary!
>>>
>>> A lovely gentle ride too.

>>Unfortunately the animal died at 1900 on the recovery boat - a sad outcome.

>I have a couple of moderately good jpgs, taken while he was still
>free, to remember him by.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Whale_spotted_in_Thames_river,_Central_London

Still needs some good images.

Jim.

John B wrote:

> Tom Crispin wrote:
>

>>I met a couple of friends on Westminster Bridge today for a gentle
>>bimble up the Thames. We saw Wally the Whale swimming free at about
>>10am, and then saw him being recovered on our way home at 2.30ish.
>>
>>Extraordinary!
>>

> Just how many hundreds of thousands is this so-called rescue costing?
> As people lay suffering for months waiting for life-saving operations,
> quite why the well-being of a lost whale is given higher priority says a
> lot about the crazy values in this country of ours.
> Who is paying for this farce?
> Yes, its you and me.

I had an alternative suggestion:

http://julesandjames.blogspot.com/2006/01/just-eat-it.html

(I guess that link doesn't even need clicked on!)

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email

John B wrote:

> Just how many hundreds of thousands is this so-called rescue costing?
> As people lay suffering for months waiting for life-saving operations,
> quite why the well-being of a lost whale is given higher priority says a
> lot about the crazy values in this country of ours.
> Who is paying for this farce?
> Yes, its you and me.

No, it's not. The British Divers Marine Rescue Group are a charity.
Get your facts right before you go off on a hobby-horse.

R.

Richard wrote:

> John B wrote:
>
> > Just how many hundreds of thousands is this so-called rescue costing?
> > As people lay suffering for months waiting for life-saving operations,
> > quite why the well-being of a lost whale is given higher priority says a
> > lot about the crazy values in this country of ours.
> > Who is paying for this farce?
> > Yes, its you and me.

> No, it's not. The British Divers Marine Rescue Group are a charity.
> Get your facts right before you go off on a hobby-horse.

So are you saying that no public funds whatsoever were used?

John B

Response to John B:
> > > Who is paying for this farce?
> > > Yes, its you and me.

> > No, it's not. The British Divers Marine Rescue Group are a charity.
> > Get your facts right before you go off on a hobby-horse.

> So are you saying that no public funds whatsoever were used?

AAMOF, it looks as if they're subsidising the rest of us ;-) -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/london/4638790.stm

--
Mark, UK
"Prejudice is never easy unless it can pass itself off for reason."

The 19ft whale, confirmed as an adolescent female, first surfaced on Friday
morning in central London and throughout the day captured the attention of
thousands of people who flocked to the river banks.

But she rapidly became disorientated and distressed, prompting the
seven-hour rescue operation aimed at getting her back to her natural habitat
in deep sea waters.

....bl**dy women divers...

news:[email protected]...