Walnut Creek and Specialized BigHit

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Piratelord®, May 21, 2003.

  1. Piratelord®

    Piratelord® Guest

    Question: Why wouldn't someone want to ride a bike like the Big Hit at Walnut Creek? That's what a
    certain someone implied at Bicycle Sport Shop when I was asking about that bike. I've ridden DH rigs
    all over the earth, and I don't see the problem with riding it one at Walnut Creek. Is there an
    anti-DH force field at WC? ;-(

    Am I just dumb?

    ***you see J. Slater putting on his flame-retardent suit***

    Tags:

  2. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    I dunno, where is Walnut Creek? I can tell you that there is an anti-XC forcefield at Felsenmeer.

    -Dave

  3. J. Slater

    J. Slater Guest

    Walnut Creek is a park in Austin, TX. Sorry I didn't specify... I guess that's what I get for
    being blonde?

    "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I dunno, where is Walnut Creek? I can tell you that there is an anti-XC forcefield at Felsenmeer.
    >
    > -Dave

  4. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "PirateLord®" <9klrdood9[nospam]@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:<alXya.3243$%[email protected]>...
    > Question: Why wouldn't someone want to ride a bike like the Big Hit at Walnut Creek? That's what a
    > certain someone implied at Bicycle Sport Shop when I was asking about that bike. I've ridden DH
    > rigs all over the earth, and I don't see the problem with riding it one at Walnut Creek. Is there
    > an anti-DH force field at WC? ;-(
    >
    > Am I just dumb?
    >
    > ***you see J. Slater putting on his flame-retardent suit***

    There could have been two reasons for their reacting like that towards you. They may have fairly or
    unfairly judged you as a free rider, which day by day is becoming more of a sin in the mtb'ing world
    (not necessarily my view on it), or they may have tried to convey to you that they couldn't
    understand why someone would need a large travel bike to ride anywhere in Texas.

  5. J. Slater

    J. Slater Guest

    I guess they ignore the big rocks I see and must hop over... ;-)

    Granted, us central Texans don't have much of a mountain close by, but the travel of the suspension
    seems to always be welcome when I ride.

    > "PirateLord®" <9klrdood9[nospam]@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:<alXya.3243$%[email protected]>...
    > > Question: Why wouldn't someone want to ride a bike like the Big Hit at Walnut Creek? That's what
    > > a certain someone implied at Bicycle Sport
    Shop
    > > when I was asking about that bike. I've ridden DH rigs all over the
    earth,
    > > and I don't see the problem with riding it one at Walnut Creek. Is there
    an
    > > anti-DH force field at WC? ;-(
    > >
    > > Am I just dumb?
    > >
    > > ***you see J. Slater putting on his flame-retardent suit***
    >
    > There could have been two reasons for their reacting like that towards you. They may have fairly
    > or unfairly judged you as a free rider, which day by day is becoming more of a sin in the mtb'ing
    > world (not necessarily my view on it), or they may have tried to convey to you that they couldn't
    > understand why someone would need a large travel bike to ride anywhere in Texas.

  6. Icegeek

    Icegeek Guest

    > "PirateLord®" <9klrdood9[nospam]@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > news:<alXya.3243$%[email protected]>...
    > > Question: Why wouldn't someone want to ride a bike like the Big Hit at Walnut Creek? That's what
    > > a certain someone implied at Bicycle Sport Shop when I was asking about that bike. I've ridden
    > > DH rigs all over the earth, and I don't see the problem with riding it one at Walnut Creek. Is
    > > there an anti-DH force field at WC? ;-(
    > >
    > > Am I just dumb?

    OK, I'll bite. As you must know, Walnut is a very popular local trail system that attracts a whole
    range of riders. Beginners with the shakes to racer-types in training. The trails are smooth and the
    technical challenge is not in going up and down things, but in going around sharp, sometimes blind
    turns at the highest possible speed. The place is a total hoot on a rigid singlespeed. It is also
    bike-poser central. This is the prevalent image people have about the place, and so if you go into a
    LBS wanting a DH/hucking bike "because you want to ride there" it will sound a little silly. Thing
    is, you do see a handful of regulars out there on hucking bikes and that's because there are some
    cute little creek drop-ins that they go play around on. Six foot drops into six inches of water,
    that kind of thing. But if that's your end goal then you're selling yourself way short since there
    are so many heinous places in town and close by that you could be launching one of those things. Go
    poking around in the woods at City Park one day if you're looking to huck. Go check out the side
    hills of the Greenbelt if you want technical downhill runs. You'll see.

  7. J. Slater

    J. Slater Guest

    Thanks for the reply... I think I have a better understanding now of their attitude. BTW, I ended up
    buying a Haro X2 at Discovery Cycles on Anderson
    Mill. Best bike people I've talked to, and I've talked to nearly all of them the last 6 months.

    I'll see if I can tear it up now.

    news:[email protected]...