Walnut surprise?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by D.Currie, Apr 6, 2006.

  1. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    Thinking about old foods we used to eat...

    There used to be a mom-and-pop deli that sold something that was called
    either walnut surprise or pineapple surprise. I think it was walnut. And,
    you guessed it, there was pineapple. Like crushed pineapple, maybe. And it
    was mixed in a white creamy substance that was sort of sweet, but not
    terribly sweet. Might have been something else in there with the walnut and
    pineapple, but the creamy stuff pretty well hid everything.

    Anybody know what I'm talking about? Any clue what was really in there? The
    creamy stuff didn't break down like whipped cream would, it wasn't
    mayo...maybe a mixture of something? I really can't remember it all that
    well, except that it was sort of fluffy, and I liked it a lot.

    I've googled both walnut surprise and pineapple surprise and I'm getting
    hits for cakes or magic tricks.

    Oh yeah, and any suggestions on something else to do with the thin-sliced
    lamb I've got left from a roast? There's probably enough for one meal. We've
    had sandwiches. I'd like to do something interesting with it. Faux gyros
    comes to mind, but I'm open to recipes that someone has actually tried
    before.

    --
    Donna

    Tags:

  2. Donna wrote:

    > There used to be a mom-and-pop deli that sold something that was called
    > either walnut surprise or pineapple surprise. I think it was walnut. And,
    > you guessed it, there was pineapple. Like crushed pineapple, maybe. And it
    > was mixed in a white creamy substance that was sort of sweet, but not
    > terribly sweet. Might have been something else in there with the walnut
    > and pineapple, but the creamy stuff pretty well hid everything.
    >
    > Anybody know what I'm talking about? Any clue what was really in there?
    > The creamy stuff didn't break down like whipped cream would, it wasn't
    > mayo...maybe a mixture of something? I really can't remember it all that
    > well, except that it was sort of fluffy, and I liked it a lot.

    Whipped cream cheese and Jell-O.

    Bob

  3. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote

    > you guessed it, there was pineapple. Like crushed pineapple, maybe. And it
    > was mixed in a white creamy substance that was sort of sweet, but not
    > terribly sweet. Might have been something else in there with the walnut
    > and pineapple, but the creamy stuff pretty well hid everything.

    Are you talking about ambrosia?

    nancy

  4. On Fri 07 Apr 2006 04:53:59a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    Young?

    > "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> you guessed it, there was pineapple. Like crushed pineapple, maybe. And
    >> it was mixed in a white creamy substance that was sort of sweet, but
    >> not terribly sweet. Might have been something else in there with the
    >> walnut and pineapple, but the creamy stuff pretty well hid everything.

    > Are you talking about ambrosia?
    >
    > nancy

    I was momentarily confused, but realized you were taking about that gloppy
    stuff with coconut, fruit, cookwhip, etc., and not *real* ambrosia which is
    made fresh oranges, fresh coconut, sugar, etc., and no "glop". :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  5. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

    > On Fri 07 Apr 2006 04:53:59a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    > Young?

    >> "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >>> you guessed it, there was pineapple. Like crushed pineapple, maybe. And
    >>> it was mixed in a white creamy substance that was sort of sweet, but
    >>> not terribly sweet. Might have been something else in there with the
    >>> walnut and pineapple, but the creamy stuff pretty well hid everything.

    >> Are you talking about ambrosia?
    >>
    >> nancy

    > I was momentarily confused, but realized you were taking about that gloppy
    > stuff with coconut, fruit, cookwhip, etc., and not *real* ambrosia which
    > is
    > made fresh oranges, fresh coconut, sugar, etc., and no "glop". :)

    (smile) Sorry, I'm probably confused. I didn't grow up with the
    stuff, but I have seen it around. And I'm probably calling it the
    wrong thing.

    nancy

  6. The Cook

    The Cook Guest

    On 7 Apr 2006 14:28:57 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
    <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    >On Fri 07 Apr 2006 04:53:59a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    >Young?
    >

    >> "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >>> you guessed it, there was pineapple. Like crushed pineapple, maybe. And
    >>> it was mixed in a white creamy substance that was sort of sweet, but
    >>> not terribly sweet. Might have been something else in there with the
    >>> walnut and pineapple, but the creamy stuff pretty well hid everything.

    >> Are you talking about ambrosia?
    >>
    >> nancy

    >I was momentarily confused, but realized you were taking about that gloppy
    >stuff with coconut, fruit, cookwhip, etc., and not *real* ambrosia which is
    >made fresh oranges, fresh coconut, sugar, etc., and no "glop". :)

    All the ambrosia I have had used mandarin oranges, coconut, pineapple
    and sour cream or yogurt. It may have had some other fruits in it
    too.
    --
    Susan N.

  7. On Fri 07 Apr 2006 05:55:05a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    Young?

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
    >
    >> On Fri 07 Apr 2006 04:53:59a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    >> Young?

    >>> "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote

    >>> Are you talking about ambrosia?
    >>>
    >>> nancy

    >> I was momentarily confused, but realized you were taking about that
    >> gloppy stuff with coconut, fruit, cookwhip, etc., and not *real*
    >> ambrosia which is made fresh oranges, fresh coconut, sugar, etc., and
    >> no "glop". :)

    > (smile) Sorry, I'm probably confused. I didn't grow up with the
    > stuff, but I have seen it around. And I'm probably calling it the
    > wrong thing.
    >
    > nancy

    No, nancy you're not the least bit confused. Is seems that outside of the
    Southern US, "Ambrosia" has come to mean some variation of this glop
    composed of canned fruit (pineapple, fruit salad, etc.), along with
    marshmallows, shredded coconut, some sort of whipped topping like
    Coolwhip, and sugar. There may be other things, as well. I group up in a
    Southern family where Ambrosia was made simply from fresh oranges, freshly
    grated coconut, and sugar. I've never been able to wrap my head around
    the non-Southern type, but it probably predominates these days.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  8. On Fri 07 Apr 2006 06:31:23a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Cook?

    > On 7 Apr 2006 14:28:57 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
    > <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri 07 Apr 2006 04:53:59a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    >>Young?
    >>

    >>> "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote

    >>> Are you talking about ambrosia?
    >>>
    >>> nancy

    >>I was momentarily confused, but realized you were taking about that
    >>gloppy stuff with coconut, fruit, cookwhip, etc., and not *real*
    >>ambrosia which is made fresh oranges, fresh coconut, sugar, etc., and no
    >>"glop". :)

    > All the ambrosia I have had used mandarin oranges, coconut, pineapple
    > and sour cream or yogurt. It may have had some other fruits in it
    > too.

    Yup, the totally non-Southern type which, BTW, was the original type.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  9. Lefty

    Lefty Guest

    "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thinking about old foods we used to eat...
    >
    > There used to be a mom-and-pop deli that sold something that was called
    > either walnut surprise or pineapple surprise. I think it was walnut. And,
    > you guessed it, there was pineapple. Like crushed pineapple, maybe. And it
    > was mixed in a white creamy substance that was sort of sweet, but not
    > terribly sweet. Might have been something else in there with the walnut

    and
    > pineapple, but the creamy stuff pretty well hid everything.
    >
    > Anybody know what I'm talking about? Any clue what was really in there?

    The
    > creamy stuff didn't break down like whipped cream would, it wasn't
    > mayo...maybe a mixture of something? I really can't remember it all that
    > well, except that it was sort of fluffy, and I liked it a lot.
    >
    > I've googled both walnut surprise and pineapple surprise and I'm getting
    > hits for cakes or magic tricks.
    >

    > Oh yeah, and any suggestions on something else to do with the thin-sliced
    > lamb I've got left from a roast? There's probably enough for one meal.

    We've
    > had sandwiches. I'd like to do something interesting with it. Faux gyros
    > comes to mind, but I'm open to recipes that someone has actually tried
    > before.
    >

    > --
    > Donna

    The pineapple version sounds like a treat that used to be sold in a little
    white fluted-cardboard cup when I was a kid. I don't remember a brand or
    what it was even called.
    --
    Lefty

    Life is for learning
    The worst I ever had was wonderful

  10. Default User

    Default User Guest

    D.Currie wrote:

    > Thinking about old foods we used to eat...
    >
    > There used to be a mom-and-pop deli that sold something that was
    > called either walnut surprise or pineapple surprise. I think it was
    > walnut. And, you guessed it, there was pineapple. Like crushed
    > pineapple, maybe. And it was mixed in a white creamy substance that
    > was sort of sweet, but not terribly sweet. Might have been something
    > else in there with the walnut and pineapple, but the creamy stuff
    > pretty well hid everything.
    >
    > Anybody know what I'm talking about? Any clue what was really in
    > there? The creamy stuff didn't break down like whipped cream would,
    > it wasn't mayo...maybe a mixture of something? I really can't
    > remember it all that well, except that it was sort of fluffy, and I
    > liked it a lot.
    >
    > I've googled both walnut surprise and pineapple surprise and I'm
    > getting hits for cakes or magic tricks.

    I think I know what you mean. If I remember correctly, the white stuff
    is marshmallow fluff. I haven't had any luck googling up a recipe
    though.

    Brian
    won't shut up.

  11. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]7.22.228.19...
    > On Fri 07 Apr 2006 05:55:05a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    > Young?
    >

    >> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
    >>
    >>> On Fri 07 Apr 2006 04:53:59a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    >>> Young?

    >>> I was momentarily confused, but realized you were taking about that
    >>> gloppy stuff with coconut, fruit, cookwhip, etc., and not *real*
    >>> ambrosia which is made fresh oranges, fresh coconut, sugar, etc., and
    >>> no "glop". :)

    >> (smile) Sorry, I'm probably confused. I didn't grow up with the
    >> stuff, but I have seen it around. And I'm probably calling it the
    >> wrong thing.
    >>
    >> nancy

    > No, nancy you're not the least bit confused. Is seems that outside of the
    > Southern US, "Ambrosia" has come to mean some variation of this glop
    > composed of canned fruit (pineapple, fruit salad, etc.), along with
    > marshmallows, shredded coconut, some sort of whipped topping like
    > Coolwhip, and sugar. There may be other things, as well. I group up in a
    > Southern family where Ambrosia was made simply from fresh oranges, freshly
    > grated coconut, and sugar. I've never been able to wrap my head around
    > the non-Southern type, but it probably predominates these days.
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬
    >
    > Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

    There was no coconut, that I'm sure of. Maybe it was this deli's own
    version, but there were no grapes, cherries, oranges, or marshmallows. I
    could tell there was pineapple and walnuts, but the "glop" was a mystery. I
    suppose it could have been cool whip, since we never had that at home. It
    would explain why I didn't know what it was.

    Donna

  12. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "Default User" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > D.Currie wrote:
    >
    >> Thinking about old foods we used to eat...
    >>
    >> There used to be a mom-and-pop deli that sold something that was
    >> called either walnut surprise or pineapple surprise. I think it was
    >> walnut. And, you guessed it, there was pineapple. Like crushed
    >> pineapple, maybe. And it was mixed in a white creamy substance that
    >> was sort of sweet, but not terribly sweet. Might have been something
    >> else in there with the walnut and pineapple, but the creamy stuff
    >> pretty well hid everything.
    >>
    >> Anybody know what I'm talking about? Any clue what was really in
    >> there? The creamy stuff didn't break down like whipped cream would,
    >> it wasn't mayo...maybe a mixture of something? I really can't
    >> remember it all that well, except that it was sort of fluffy, and I
    >> liked it a lot.
    >>
    >> I've googled both walnut surprise and pineapple surprise and I'm
    >> getting hits for cakes or magic tricks.

    > I think I know what you mean. If I remember correctly, the white stuff
    > is marshmallow fluff. I haven't had any luck googling up a recipe
    > though.

    I've never has marshmallow fluff, that I can recall, so maybe that was it.
    All I know, it was a creamy, fluffy white substance that was really good
    with the pineapple and walnuts. Maybe I'll put marshmallow fluff on the
    shopping list and see what it tastes like.

    Donna

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Oh yeah, and any suggestions on something else to do with the thin-sliced
    > lamb I've got left from a roast? There's probably enough for one meal. We've
    > had sandwiches. I'd like to do something interesting with it. Faux gyros
    > comes to mind, but I'm open to recipes that someone has actually tried
    > before.

    We saute some thinly sliced onions, and add the sliced lamb to that.
    Then we put in some of the pan sauce we make when we roast lamb (a wine
    reduction with some herbs) and moisten everything. We use pita bread or
    tortillas if we haven't made pita, and stuff them with the meat and
    onions plus juice, feta cheese, kalamata olives, lettuce, tomato and
    cucumber. We love them. Lambwiches.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  14. The Cook

    The Cook Guest

    On 7 Apr 2006 16:59:52 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
    <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    >On Fri 07 Apr 2006 06:31:23a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Cook?
    >
    >> On 7 Apr 2006 14:28:57 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
    >> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Fri 07 Apr 2006 04:53:59a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    >>>Young?

    >>>I was momentarily confused, but realized you were taking about that
    >>>gloppy stuff with coconut, fruit, cookwhip, etc., and not *real*
    >>>ambrosia which is made fresh oranges, fresh coconut, sugar, etc., and no
    >>>"glop". :)

    >> All the ambrosia I have had used mandarin oranges, coconut, pineapple
    >> and sour cream or yogurt. It may have had some other fruits in it
    >> too.

    >Yup, the totally non-Southern type which, BTW, was the original type.

    Somehow I have always considered Texas and North Carolina to be
    Southern and those are the main places that I have had it.
    --
    Susan N.

  15. On Fri 07 Apr 2006 10:51:01a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Cook?

    > On 7 Apr 2006 16:59:52 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
    > <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri 07 Apr 2006 06:31:23a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
    >>Cook?

    >>> All the ambrosia I have had used mandarin oranges, coconut, pineapple
    >>> and sour cream or yogurt. It may have had some other fruits in it
    >>> too.

    >>Yup, the totally non-Southern type which, BTW, was the original type.

    > Somehow I have always considered Texas and North Carolina to be
    > Southern and those are the main places that I have had it.

    One usually finds the orange and coconut version in MS, AL, and GA.
    Althugh, these versions with other fruits, sour cream, coolwhip, etc., are
    generally not an old tradition anywhere, and have cropped up damn near
    everywhere during the last half-century, definitely coming about since the
    1950s. The earlier orand and coconut version goes back to at least turn
    of the century.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  16. Default User

    D.Currie wrote:

    > "Default User" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    > > I think I know what you mean. If I remember correctly, the white
    > > stuff is marshmallow fluff. I haven't had any luck googling up a
    > > recipe though.
    > >

    > I've never has marshmallow fluff, that I can recall, so maybe that
    > was it. All I know, it was a creamy, fluffy white substance that was
    > really good with the pineapple and walnuts. Maybe I'll put
    > marshmallow fluff on the shopping list and see what it tastes like.

    It's white marshmallow stuff that comes in a jar. Known by some people
    for its role in the "fluffer-nutter" sandwich.

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  17. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I've never has marshmallow fluff, that I can recall, so maybe that was it.
    > All I know, it was a creamy, fluffy white substance that was really good
    > with the pineapple and walnuts. Maybe I'll put marshmallow fluff on the
    > shopping list and see what it tastes like.

    Some people put it on ice cream, or make no fail fudge
    with it. Weird people.

    I recall some stuff that my mil made, it involved pistachio
    pudding mix and cool whip, I think. That sounds more like
    the type of pineapple/walnut fluffy stuff salad I'm thinking of.

    nancy

  18. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Oh yeah, and any suggestions on something else to do with the thin-sliced
    >> lamb I've got left from a roast? There's probably enough for one meal.
    >> We've
    >> had sandwiches. I'd like to do something interesting with it. Faux gyros
    >> comes to mind, but I'm open to recipes that someone has actually tried
    >> before.

    > We saute some thinly sliced onions, and add the sliced lamb to that.
    > Then we put in some of the pan sauce we make when we roast lamb (a wine
    > reduction with some herbs) and moisten everything. We use pita bread or
    > tortillas if we haven't made pita, and stuff them with the meat and
    > onions plus juice, feta cheese, kalamata olives, lettuce, tomato and
    > cucumber. We love them. Lambwiches.

    I made calzone-like things. Inside, I had the lamb, feta cheese, Greek
    seasoning from Penzey's, rosemary, onions, and yogurt. Should have stuffed
    an olive or two in there, but I didn't think of it. Pretty tasty, and I
    managed to use up the rest of the lamb.

    Donna

  19. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> I've never has marshmallow fluff, that I can recall, so maybe that was
    >> it. All I know, it was a creamy, fluffy white substance that was really
    >> good with the pineapple and walnuts. Maybe I'll put marshmallow fluff on
    >> the shopping list and see what it tastes like.

    > Some people put it on ice cream, or make no fail fudge
    > with it. Weird people.
    >
    > I recall some stuff that my mil made, it involved pistachio
    > pudding mix and cool whip, I think. That sounds more like
    > the type of pineapple/walnut fluffy stuff salad I'm thinking of.

    Well, I bought the marshmallow stuff, and I've got a fresh pineapple waiting
    to be carved. And I'm pretty sure I've got walnuts. I'm going to give it a
    try with a small batch tomorrow and see if it's even close. I'm thinking
    Cool Whip is wrong because it seems it would get watery when it's been mixed
    with the pineapple for a while. I know when I used to buy that stuff, it
    would be fine for the 2-3 days it lasted.