Wandi 41km TT

DeF

Guest
Did my first 40km (actually 41.2) ITT yesterday
(previous longest 20.6). Not only did I do a PB
(not hard given it's my first!), I also did my
first "better than age standard" ride. I also
managed an average speed greater than for the 20.6km
which was on the same course but only two laps.

It was pretty hot, I ran out of water with about
8km to go. Hit an energy flat spot with about 6km
to go but hung on to do 1:06:10 (37.4kph). Previous
ride on this course was 33:40 (36.7kph) over half
the distance. Part of the course has been resurfaced
since the earlier ride which was lovely to ride on.

I feel I could do better. I went too hard on the
first lap (minute faster than next three) and my
tri-bars where not quite right, they need to be
wider. State Champs next weekend so an opportunity
to do better.

Other a.b'ers: Byron27 tore up the course in under
an hour (only 4 out of 65-odd managed that, not including
a rider who was "relegated" for drafting, first time
I've seen that at an ATTA event) and Gumby who did
the 20.6km ride last year improved his speed by
1.65kph since May last year.

Despite the pain, I felt pretty happy afterwards!
Recovery ride this morning was a leisurely 29kph.

DeF.

--
e-mail: [email protected]
To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

DeF wrote:
> Did my first 40km (actually 41.2) ITT yesterday
> (previous longest 20.6). Not only did I do a PB
> (not hard given it's my first!), I also did my
> first "better than age standard" ride. I also
> managed an average speed greater than for the 20.6km
> which was on the same course but only two laps.
>
> It was pretty hot, I ran out of water with about
> 8km to go. Hit an energy flat spot with about 6km
> to go but hung on to do 1:06:10 (37.4kph). Previous
> ride on this course was 33:40 (36.7kph) over half
> the distance. Part of the course has been resurfaced
> since the earlier ride which was lovely to ride on.

That's a great improvement, well done!

> I feel I could do better. I went too hard on the
> first lap (minute faster than next three) and my
> tri-bars where not quite right, they need to be
> wider. State Champs next weekend so an opportunity
> to do better.

Take it out easy, bring it home hard :)

> Other a.b'ers: Byron27 tore up the course in under
> an hour (only 4 out of 65-odd managed that, not including
> a rider who was "relegated" for drafting, first time
> I've seen that at an ATTA event) and Gumby who did
> the 20.6km ride last year improved his speed by
> 1.65kph since May last year.

So Byron got a top 4 placing? Not bad for a training ride eh Byron :)

>>It was pretty hot, I ran out of water with about
>>8km to go. Hit an energy flat spot with about 6km
>>to go but hung on to do 1:06:10 (37.4kph). Previous
>>ride on this course was 33:40 (36.7kph) over half
>>the distance.

I find that those camelbacks are fantastic for TT's over 30k's. You dont have to disturb your rhythm and they hold more water than bottles.

>>Part of the course has been resurfaced
>>since the earlier ride which was lovely to ride on.

But coming down de haer into that wind on the dead part of the road was not fun at all......

>>I feel I could do better. I went too hard on the
>>first lap (minute faster than next three) and my
>>tri-bars where not quite right, they need to be
>>wider. State Champs next weekend so an opportunity
>>to do better.

Yep. as Bleve says, always save your petrol. The more you do the more you will just "know" where you are.

>>Other a.b'ers: Byron27 tore up the course in under
>>an hour (only 4 out of 65-odd managed that, not including
>>a rider who was "relegated" for drafting, first time
>>I've seen that at an ATTA event) and Gumby who did
>>the 20.6km ride last year improved his speed by
>>1.65kph since May last year.

I do like that course!:p

>>Despite the pain, I felt pretty happy afterwards!
>>Recovery ride this morning was a leisurely 29kph.

mmmmm im recovering on the couch at 0kph after last night.

>>So Byron got a top 4 placing? Not bad for a training ride eh Byron :)

Good course for me that one. For some reason i really like TT's that work on a lap basis, i guess i can break it down into smaller bits. I really just wanted to get sub hour as i did 1:00:01 last year so once i knew i was going to do that half way through i turned it off a bit.

Got to save some for the state 40 this weekend!

Thats the one i want to do sub hour. It is my nemesis. I really dont like that course......

"byron27" wrote :
>>>It was pretty hot, I ran out of water with about
>>>8km to go. Hit an energy flat spot with about 6km
>>>to go but hung on to do 1:06:10 (37.4kph). Previous
>>>ride on this course was 33:40 (36.7kph) over half
>>>the distance.

Nice ridin you sick puppies :)

> I find that those camelbacks are fantastic for TT's over 30k's. You
> dont have to disturb your rhythm and they hold more water than bottles.

How do you position the bite valve? Can you take a drink without taking your
hands off the bars? I like the look of those aero bottles with a stiff tube
that mount in between the aero bars.

Adam

Nice rides by Byron27 and DeF. Both went under their age standards Top
work. The drafting episode was keeping everybody talking, probably for
the novelty of it occurring! Mark roberts could have posted a BETTER
time if he didnt have to weave all over the road to try and dislodge
his cheating limpet.
www.atta.asn.au - results - Wandi

I absolutely used everything I had on this 41km. I caught my minute
(wo)man after two laps and I think we just kept each other going. I
would gradually lose it on the hill, but then regain my rythym and
retake her on DeHAer and Rowley Rd. She outsprinted me on the start
finish straight. I was so fscked I just giggled as she overtook me on
the line. Couldn't walk or stretch or think afterwards. I was well
hydrated before the TT, managed a nervous little wee before, drank my
bottles (combined = 1 litre) throughout. After the tt I drank a can of
lemonade about a litre of weak gZterade. Drank and drank fluids all day
and it took me until 10pm to urinate. I think the camelback will be
used for next week.

Managed a 35.7 km/h average, just over 69 minutes, which of course I
put down to using the hair clippers on my legs.

Recovery ride yesterday was a tootle with the family into Hyde Park for
the pissweak fair, then to a cafe in Northbridge, then along the Swan
River east Perth, the not-yet-opened-bike-path from Mt Lawley to
Maylands in front of Mercy Hospital, It will be lovely when finished,.
around Maylands and then a couple of leisurely pints at the Inglewood.
Yes I am riding the State Champs next weekend. five days to go.
Whatever time I get it will be a PB!
Steven

gumby wrote:

> I absolutely used everything I had on this 41km. I caught my minute
> (wo)man after two laps and I think we just kept each other going. I
> would gradually lose it on the hill, but then regain my rythym and
> retake her on DeHAer and Rowley Rd. She outsprinted me on the start
> finish straight. I was so fscked I just giggled as she overtook me on
> the line. Couldn't walk or stretch or think afterwards.

Odd that her time is 1:03 slower than yours given she did cross
the line first. I was watching and remember the maniacal giggle.
I was thinking of sending for the men in white coats.

I was well
> hydrated before the TT, managed a nervous little wee before, drank my
> bottles (combined = 1 litre) throughout. After the tt I drank a can of
> lemonade about a litre of weak gZterade. Drank and drank fluids all day
> and it took me until 10pm to urinate. I think the camelback will be
> used for next week.

Sounds to me that you got too hot. I only had one small bottle for
the ride and used that up - should have taken more for such a hot day.
I will next weekend.

> Managed a 35.7 km/h average, just over 69 minutes, which of course I
> put down to using the hair clippers on my legs.

Need to run a razor over them for next weekend....

> Recovery ride yesterday was a tootle with the family into Hyde Park for
> the pissweak fair, then to a cafe in Northbridge, then along the Swan
> River east Perth, the not-yet-opened-bike-path from Mt Lawley to
> Maylands in front of Mercy Hospital, It will be lovely when finished,.
> around Maylands and then a couple of leisurely pints at the Inglewood.
> Yes I am riding the State Champs next weekend. five days to go.
> Whatever time I get it will be a PB!
> Steven

Ditto! At least we don't have to get there at 7am given we're
starting closer to 10am.

DeF.

--
e-mail: [email protected]
To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

Mr drafter is starting 9 minutes after me, 12 after byron and 13 after
def
Must remember to bring my speargun and harpoon him as he passes!

gumby said:
Mr drafter is starting 9 minutes after me, 12 after byron and 13 after
def
Must remember to bring my speargun and harpoon him as he passes!

shoulda hit the brakes HARD, let him slingshot past and given him a wave as he did so ;) :D

gumby wrote:
> Mr drafter is starting 9 minutes after me, 12 after byron and 13 after
> def
> Must remember to bring my speargun and harpoon him as he passes!

Hmm, with that little loop at the beginning of the course,
it could be interesting! Is he going to be able to stop
himself from hopping on a wheel this time? It was very
bizarre behaviour at Wandi. The guy is clearly a strong
rider and had all the kit (Kalibur, TT helmet) - he can
hardly claim inexperience as an excuse.

Something to distract one from the pain of the ride...

DeF.

--

gumby said:
Mr drafter is starting 9 minutes after me, 12 after byron and 13 after
def
Must remember to bring my speargun and harpoon him as he passes!

apologies - just read the future tense (not past) in your post Gumby. So.. perhaps the good a.b folk can provide a suite of tactics to rid oneself of said WHEELSUKKA for the State TT???? Already posted mine..... :D

He has not won any friends and has basically put the spotlight on
himself and his erstwhile censured cheater.
He #43 was pretty vocal at the start, making jokes and being loud, and
then clamps onto his following minute man #44 and holds him for two and
half laps, while they circuit at under 15 minutes a lap. They passed #
42 and he sukked onto the train as well. Bloody appalling behaviour
from people who should know better.

If you have read Neil Stephenson's Snow Crash, you'll know about
'pooning. I'll probably aim for a part of his body that isnt doing any
work, the head!

gumby said:
He has not won any friends and has basically put the spotlight on
himself and his erstwhile censured cheater.
He #43 was pretty vocal at the start, making jokes and being loud, and
then clamps onto his following minute man #44 and holds him for two and
half laps, while they circuit at under 15 minutes a lap. They passed #
42 and he sukked onto the train as well. Bloody appalling behaviour
from people who should know better.

If you have read Neil Stephenson's Snow Crash, you'll know about
'pooning. I'll probably aim for a part of his body that isnt doing any
work, the head!
gee i missed all that excitement, having started 4 minutes later (#48) and being on the otherside of the course all the way around.

Surely they didn't sit on through the start/finish each lap?

DeF wrote:
> Did my first 40km (actually 41.2) ITT yesterday
> (previous longest 20.6). Not only did I do a PB
> (not hard given it's my first!), I also did my
> first "better than age standard" ride. I also
> managed an average speed greater than for the 20.6km
> which was on the same course but only two laps.
>
> It was pretty hot, I ran out of water with about
> 8km to go. Hit an energy flat spot with about 6km
> to go but hung on to do 1:06:10 (37.4kph). Previous
> ride on this course was 33:40 (36.7kph) over half
> the distance. Part of the course has been resurfaced
> since the earlier ride which was lovely to ride on.
>
> I feel I could do better. I went too hard on the
> first lap (minute faster than next three) and my
> tri-bars where not quite right, they need to be
> wider. State Champs next weekend so an opportunity
> to do better.
>
> Other a.b'ers: Byron27 tore up the course in under
> an hour (only 4 out of 65-odd managed that, not including
> a rider who was "relegated" for drafting, first time
> I've seen that at an ATTA event) and Gumby who did
> the 20.6km ride last year improved his speed by
> 1.65kph since May last year.
>
> Despite the pain, I felt pretty happy afterwards!
> Recovery ride this morning was a leisurely 29kph.
>
> DeF.

That's pretty good.
Did our local 16 km hilly time trial course for the first time in ages
and did my best time for the last 11 years (26:33). I've lost 7kg in the
last three months though eating better and I think that's a contributing
factor. I still reckon I can shave another minute or so off and get
close to my PB of 25:10

byron27 wrote:
> gumby Wrote:
>> He has not won any friends and has basically put the spotlight on
>> himself and his erstwhile censured cheater.
>> He #43 was pretty vocal at the start, making jokes and being loud, and
>> then clamps onto his following minute man #44 and holds him for two and
>> half laps, while they circuit at under 15 minutes a lap. They passed #
>> 42 and he sukked onto the train as well. Bloody appalling behaviour
>> from people who should know better.
>>
>> If you have read Neil Stephenson's Snow Crash, you'll know about
>> 'pooning. I'll probably aim for a part of his body that isnt doing any
>> work, the head!

> gee i missed all that excitement, having started 4 minutes later (#48)
> and being on the otherside of the course all the way around.
>
> Surely they didn't sit on through the start/finish each lap?

Apparently they did. The front rider was trying to
shake off the wheel suckers by weaving over the road.

I missed seeing the drafting but I did hear Mouse having a go
at him after the ride. Mouse was still at the finish line, I
was standing opposite under the shade near the gate and could
hear raised voices. Later, on the results board, there were
two times (43 and 42) that had asterisks next to them. As I
stood there looking at the board, someone summarily rubbed
them out (I know who but this is a public forum). The write up
on the ATTA site says that censured riders will not be allowed
to ride if it happens again. Everyone will be watching this
Sunday.

I'm downloading a video of the event - wonder if there is anything
on there!

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

Did the video download, I tried and it didnt work
sar lar vee, innit?

DeF wrote:

> Apparently they did. The front rider was trying to
> shake off the wheel suckers by weaving over the road.

That's quite bizarre. The course was observed, right? I know the west
is wild, but there would have been comissaires. The bloke getting
wheelsucked should have just ridden normally, and the suckers get DQ'd
and possibly suspended.

What's the problem?

gumby wrote:
> Did the video download, I tried and it didnt work
> sar lar vee, innit?

Yeah, I managed to download it all. There is
a small amount of evidence of the drafting episode.
A nice shot of you ending your second lap closely
followed by me finishing! Lucky for you I didn't
have more to go as you were in my sights! Then
again, I was stuffed.

DeF

--

DeF wrote:
> Did my first 40km (actually 41.2) ITT yesterday
> (previous longest 20.6). Not only did I do a PB
> (not hard given it's my first!), I also did my
> first "better than age standard" ride. I also
> managed an average speed greater than for the 20.6km
> which was on the same course but only two laps.
>
> It was pretty hot, I ran out of water with about
> 8km to go. Hit an energy flat spot with about 6km
> to go but hung on to do 1:06:10 (37.4kph). Previous
> ride on this course was 33:40 (36.7kph) over half
> the distance. Part of the course has been resurfaced
> since the earlier ride which was lovely to ride on.

Nice. My best for any TT is 2 seconds outside my age standard.

> Other a.b'ers: Byron27 tore up the course in under
> an hour (only 4 out of 65-odd managed that, not including
> a rider who was "relegated" for drafting, first time
> I've seen that at an ATTA event) and Gumby who did
> the 20.6km ride last year improved his speed by
> 1.65kph since May last year.

Well done boys. That guy Fred is well known. He did a similar thing
the first time he raced in the vets. He was put in C grade and jumped
on the back of the A grade breakaway when they went around. He's not
well liked...

> Despite the pain, I felt pretty happy afterwards!
> Recovery ride this morning was a leisurely 29kph.

Sounds like you deserved to take it easy.

--
BrettS

Bleve wrote:
> DeF wrote:
>
>> Apparently they did. The front rider was trying to
>> shake off the wheel suckers by weaving over the road.

> That's quite bizarre. The course was observed, right? I know the west
> is wild, but there would have been comissaires. The bloke getting
> wheelsucked should have just ridden normally, and the suckers get DQ'd
> and possibly suspended.
>
> What's the problem?

It was all quite surreal. There're no prizes or titles
on offer. They guy must have just had a brain explosion!
He was being yelled at to get off the wheel, the rules
are clear and unambiguous. The wheel-sucker's wife was
on the side lines and apparently had no explanation for
his odd behaviour. I think he's unlikely to do it again.
In fact, it would take some gall to show up for another
event because everyone knows about this! There's a
brief bit of it visible on the video of the event which
is available from the ATTA website although you have to
know what you're looking for.

It'll be interesting to see if he shows his face at the
state champs next Sunday. He's off 13 minutes after me
so he probably won't catch me although there is a funny