Wanna Go Faster on Hills? Reynolds Weld Lab??

Cycle America/N

Guest
The Reynolds Weld Lab http://www.reynoldsweldlabs.com T-Bone is arguably the fastest recumbent on
the market. Riders who have come up against it report it dusts them on the ascents and goes head to
head with them on the flats. See also Bent Rider On Line's review:
http://www.bentrideronline.com/Vol3.11/T-Bone.htm

M A R T I N K R I E G : "Awake Again" Author Bent Since '83, Car Free Since '89, Attacking with
Love Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor '79 & '86 TransAm Vet - Invites you to:
http://www.BikeRoute.com/SCNBGFest N A T I O N A L B I C Y C L E G R E E N W A Y

"Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway" wrote:

> The Reynolds Weld Lab http://www.reynoldsweldlabs.com T-Bone is arguably the fastest recumbent on
> the market. Riders who have come up against it report it dusts them on the ascents and goes head
> to head with them on the flats....

Now I know how to get cleansed of dust - ride uphill next to someone on a T-Bone. [1] I will avoid
T-Bone's on the flats, however, as I find "Bicycle Chicken" to be a rather silly game.

[1] Our soil lab at work could use one of these; I will have to see about getting a purchase
order approved.

Tom Sherman - Recumbent Curmudgeon

hmmm head to head with a T-Bone eh, yeah I'd be willing to try that. The Winner is the one with the
Higher BB, as the guy with the lower BB gets Impaled as the razor sharp chainring slices into the
chest and neck. Every so often I see people asking...what could be done to get Bents more popular,
well Joisting matches between USS SWBs would do it. Get FOX to cover it, some off-track betting
shops carry it, Bent makers sponsor it as a Blood Sport. Maybe get Shania Twain to Lip-sync at
Halftime while the body parts of the loser are hosed off the road for the next rider up.

> "Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway" wrote:
> >
> > The Reynolds Weld Lab http://www.reynoldsweldlabs.com T-Bone is arguably the fastest recumbent
> > on the market. Riders who have come up against it report it dusts them on the ascents and goes
> > head to head with them on the flats....
>
> Now I know how to get cleansed of dust - ride uphill next to someone on a T-Bone. [1] I will avoid
> T-Bone's on the flats, however, as I find "Bicycle Chicken" to be a rather silly game.
>
> [1] Our soil lab at work could use one of these; I will have to see about getting a purchase order
> approved.
>
> Tom Sherman - Recumbent Curmudgeon

Why would I want to cover it? Ben FOX

> hmmm head to head with a T-Bone eh, yeah I'd be willing to try that. The Winner is the one with
> the Higher BB, as the guy with the lower BB gets Impaled as the razor sharp chainring slices into
> the chest and neck. Every so often I see people asking...what could be done to get Bents more
> popular, well Joisting matches between USS SWBs would do it. Get FOX to cover it, some off-track
> betting shops carry it, Bent makers sponsor it as
> Blood Sport. Maybe get Shania Twain to Lip-sync at Halftime while the body parts of the loser are
> hosed off the road for the next rider up.
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway" wrote:
> > >
> > > The Reynolds Weld Lab http://www.reynoldsweldlabs.com T-Bone is arguably the fastest recumbent
> > > on the market. Riders who have come up against it report it dusts them on the ascents and goes
> > > head to head with them on the flats....
> >
> > Now I know how to get cleansed of dust - ride uphill next to someone on a T-Bone. [1] I will
> > avoid T-Bone's on the flats, however, as I find "Bicycle Chicken" to be a rather silly game.
> >
> > [1] Our soil lab at work could use one of these; I will have to see about getting a purchase
> > order approved.
> >
> > Tom Sherman - Recumbent Curmudgeon

The other FOX....U know the one that tries to be like CBS on drugs.

Ben Fox wrote:

> Why would I want to cover it? Ben FOX

Ben,

Posting smartass replies is very unbecoming. ;)

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

Those riders weren't dusted by T-Bones, but by the people cranking them. It's easy to excuse
yourself for letting someone outrun you, by claiming that their wheels are faster.

Steve McDonald

Steve McDonald wrote:
> Those riders weren't dusted by T-Bones, but by the people cranking them. It's easy to excuse
> yourself for letting someone outrun you, by claiming that their wheels are faster.

Yes, the bikes' motors are the most important factor. But some wheels ARE faster than others. I rode
with G.R. at the BROL rally last year. He is a strong rider and the T-Bone is a fast bike. That's a
nasty combination, if you happen to be anywhere near riding a DF.

Amen to that statement.

I recently rode with a new convert to the church of Bacchetta. He was a Novitiate (sp?) awaiting
delivery of his steed.

Since he lives on the west coast of Florida, he rides with the St Petersburg bike club. If you've
never been there, please note that this area is a geographical zero. No features. Roads are surveyor
straight. Nothing to do but go fast to relieve the tedium.

He also rides with Pinto and Schlitter. Who must be extraordinary engines. He tends to be back of
the pack on the fast rides. He believes the bike is the difference.

Time will tell, but, I believe if you want to sell bikes to the fast guys, someone has to pass them
on that bike. They are doing this on the Bacchettas. This is Good marketing, Huh, Jude???

Also: sell good better and best versions, that way, when your still left behind, it's still
the bike!!!

--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

www.gate.net/~teblum

Re: He also rides with Pinto and Schlitter. Who must be extraordinary engines.

Tom, I got to experience first hand, how FAST Pinto and Schlitter REALLY are, at out Bacchetta Rally
earlier this month in South Florida. Those two were actually scoping on possible GO FAST DFer's to
catch em and SMOKE em! In a 10+ mph, 38 degree (Temperature) HEADWIND both of these REAL KILLER B's
were rolling along at 25+ mph down A1A, with NO Problem at all. I know because I was fading at the
time and barely holding on to my 22 mph on my GRR Ti. For once I seem to really feel, that my
fairing was actually hampering my over all performance, rather than helping it. Clearly those 2 guys
were aerodynamically laid back with the only frontal area sticking up, being their head; a lot more
narrow than my Zzipper fairing. I don't know about anyone else (OK Tom Sherman, get ready...) but
I'm convinced you don't need a fairing, if your body is already aerodynamically placed on a bike
frame... especially if it's a Bacchetta! (Or similar SWB's as well) EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl.
(GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Amen to that statement.
>
> I recently rode with a new convert to the church of Bacchetta. He was a Novitiate (sp?) awaiting
> delivery of his steed.

EZ, Rich Pinto rides often with George Reynolds up in NH. In Wisconsen last year I attempted to keep
up with John Schlitter, Ed Gin and others. I was doing 25 and they were pulling away from
me....rapidly. I'd like to think that if I had not gotten tied up in a pack of slower riders I'd
have stayed with them. Ha! Wishful thinking! George Reynolds was at the BROL event in NY last year.
He, John Foltz and some others were cruisin' I hear in the mid to upper 20's and sprinting into the
30's. I was with a slower group. Low to mid 20's. These designers Bacchetta and RWL are committed to
making fast aerodynamic bents. At the 2001 SeaGull I heard a group of prominent racers from the DC
area comment on being ambushed by some group on recumbents blowing by them a 30+. Hope to get to
ride with you sometime.

news:[email protected]...

Jude T. McGloin wrote:

> At the 2001 SeaGull I heard a group of prominent racers from the DC area comment on being
> ambushed by some group on recumbents blowing by them a 30+.

LOL, I'd like to have been in on that one! Or at least been close enough to see it! The 'bent riders
probably didn't even know who they were passing, just one more group of uprights whose rightful
place in life is behind the lowracers. :)

There's not a bent rider that I've ever seen or heard of, that could smoke a mediocre to good DF
rider in the hilly terrain I ride in. Maybe in Florida, but not where htere are numerous 11% grades
on a 40 mile ride that climbs >4000 ft. On a ride like that with 1-3 mile climbs, a bent can't catch
up on the downhills and there are no flats. I know of only one flat in the area that is a little
over 2 miles. A 60 mile ride that climbs only 3000 ft. is rated as a flat ride around here.
Naturally bents are a rarety around here.

Gene

"EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Re: He also rides with Pinto and Schlitter. Who must be extraordinary engines.
>
> Tom, I got to experience first hand, how FAST Pinto and Schlitter REALLY are, at out Bacchetta
> Rally earlier this month in South Florida. Those two were actually scoping on possible GO FAST
> DFer's to catch em and SMOKE em! In a 10+ mph, 38 degree (Temperature) HEADWIND both of these
> REAL KILLER
B's
> were rolling along at 25+ mph down A1A, with NO Problem at all. I know because I was fading at the
> time and barely holding on to my 22 mph on my GRR Ti. For once I seem to really feel, that my
> fairing was actually hampering my over all performance, rather than helping it. Clearly those 2
> guys were aerodynamically laid back with the only frontal area sticking
up,
> being their head; a lot more narrow than my Zzipper fairing. I don't know about anyone else (OK
> Tom Sherman, get ready...) but I'm convinced you
don't
> need a fairing, if your body is already aerodynamically placed on a bike frame... especially if
> it's a Bacchetta! (Or similar SWB's as well) EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and
> SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)
>

> "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Amen to that statement.
> >
> > I recently rode with a new convert to the church of Bacchetta. He was a Novitiate (sp?) awaiting
> > delivery of his steed.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> There's not a bent rider that I've ever seen or heard of, that could smoke a mediocre to good DF
> rider in the hilly terrain I ride in. Maybe in Florida, but not where htere are numerous 11%
> grades on a 40 mile ride that climbs >4000 ft. On a ride like that with 1-3 mile climbs, a bent
> can't catch up on the downhills and there are no flats. I know of only one flat in the area that
> is a little over 2 miles. A 60 mile ride that climbs only 3000 ft. is rated as a flat ride around
> here. Naturally bents are a rarety around here.
>
> Gene
>
> "EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Re: He also rides with Pinto and Schlitter. Who must be extraordinary engines.
> >
> > Tom, I got to experience first hand, how FAST Pinto and Schlitter REALLY are, at out Bacchetta
> > Rally earlier this month in South Florida. Those two were actually scoping on possible GO FAST
> > DFer's to catch em and SMOKE em! In a 10+ mph, 38 degree (Temperature) HEADWIND both of these
> > REAL KILLER
> B's
> > were rolling along at 25+ mph down A1A, with NO Problem at all. I know because I was fading at
> > the time and barely holding on to my 22 mph on my GRR Ti. For once I seem to really feel, that
> > my fairing was actually hampering my over all performance, rather than helping it. Clearly those
> > 2 guys were aerodynamically laid back with the only frontal area sticking
> up,
> > being their head; a lot more narrow than my Zzipper fairing. I don't know about anyone else (OK
> > Tom Sherman, get ready...) but I'm convinced you
> don't
> > need a fairing, if your body is already aerodynamically placed on a bike frame... especially if
> > it's a Bacchetta! (Or similar SWB's as well) EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind
> > and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)
> >

> > "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Amen to that statement.
> > >
> > > I recently rode with a new convert to the church of Bacchetta. He was a Novitiate (sp?)
> > > awaiting delivery of his steed.

Gene - where are you riding? I'm in Colorado and I have to chuckle when I hear all the "bents
creaming roadie" stories. Of course I haven't seen any of these guys in the stories around
here riding the Mt. Evans Hill Climb or doing the triple-bypass ride. I'm the only one out
there on a bent. Survival is more the watchword when climbing 7 or 8 thousand feet against
roadies on 18 lb bikes.

Chris

Hummm, well Gene, maybe some KILLER B's will have to come visit your neck of the woods sometime and
see what kind of Buzzz, we can offer you and fellow DFer's. ;-) <Grin> Where are you specifically
located? EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"Eugene Cottrell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There's not a bent rider that I've ever seen or heard of, that could smoke a mediocre to good DF
> rider in the hilly terrain I ride
in.

Hmm...Do you know Mike Vogel? He rides Mt. Evans on a recumbent mod. Strada...and a DF. He has
posted some interesting times. While he stated he is faster on a DF, but not much as I remember.
Some seem to think that since they can't equal their ability or in many cases surpass their df
climbing abilities...that no one can. I was looking at the neat Cherry Pie pictures and riders were
not youngsters. I was thinking that I have NEVER met a regular recumbent rider in the 20 to 30 age
group....can't remember a whole bunch in the 30 to 40 year old age group. The late 40's to 50 and
above catagory is what I see most of. Seniors and Masters. Most young racerheads see recumbents as
geeky. I often wonder what a team of well Lance wannabees trained on state of the art sub 20#
recumbents would do to this climbing issue. Are there recumbent riders with the ability, genes and
training of a TDF caliber rider? IMO damm few. The field for comparison is so small its not
comparable. There are however a few billy goats that have piped up on this NG and BROL to say that
they ride hills with DF Cat2/3 guys and finish in the middle of the pack. One I can think of is 49.
When I met him I thought he was all of say.... 40/42. The team coaches/ trainers will tell you that
it takes time to adjust to a new ride. The muscles and technique required for climbing on a
recumbent differ. I say this because if I was to go get my sewup clad sub 20# DF out and go climb on
it I don't believe I would be equal to my climbing ability on my recumbent. The last time I was on a
DF was in November for all of 75 miles.

This subject is soooo much fun.

Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Chris Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > There's not a bent rider that I've ever seen or heard of, that could smoke a mediocre to good DF
> > rider in the hilly terrain I ride
in.
> > Maybe in Florida, but not where htere are numerous 11% grades on a 40
mile
> > ride that climbs >4000 ft. On a ride like that with 1-3 mile climbs, a
bent
> > can't catch up on the downhills and there are no flats. I know of only
one
> > flat in the area that is a little over 2 miles. A 60 mile ride that
climbs
> > only 3000 ft. is rated as a flat ride around here. Naturally bents are
> > rarety around here.
> >
> > Gene
> >
> > "EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Re: He also rides with Pinto and Schlitter. Who must be extraordinary engines.
> > >
> > > Tom, I got to experience first hand, how FAST Pinto and Schlitter
REALLY
> > > are, at out Bacchetta Rally earlier this month in South Florida. Those
two
> > > were actually scoping on possible GO FAST DFer's to catch em and SMOKE
em!
> > > In a 10+ mph, 38 degree (Temperature) HEADWIND both of these REAL
KILLER
> > B's
> > > were rolling along at 25+ mph down A1A, with NO Problem at all. I know because I was fading at
> > > the time and barely holding on to my 22 mph on
my
> > > GRR Ti. For once I seem to really feel, that my fairing was actually hampering my over all
> > > performance, rather than helping it. Clearly
those 2
> > > guys were aerodynamically laid back with the only frontal area
sticking
> > up,
> > > being their head; a lot more narrow than my Zzipper fairing. I don't
know
> > > about anyone else (OK Tom Sherman, get ready...) but I'm convinced you
> > don't
> > > need a fairing, if your body is already aerodynamically placed on a
bike
> > > frame... especially if it's a Bacchetta! (Or similar SWB's as well) EZ Biker :) Pompano
> > > Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta
Aero
> > > Pilot)

> Gene - where are you riding? I'm in Colorado and I have to chuckle when I hear all the "bents
> creaming roadie" stories. Of course I haven't seen any of these guys in the stories around here
> riding the Mt. Evans Hill Climb or doing the triple-bypass ride. I'm the only one out there on
> a bent. Survival is more the watchword when climbing 7 or 8 thousand feet against roadies on 18
> lb bikes.
>
> Chris

I don't know Mike Vogel but I ride Mt. Evans regularly and have done the last 2 Mt. Evans Races on a
bent and I have been the only one in the field of 600 on a bent.

> Hmm...Do you know Mike Vogel? He rides Mt. Evans on a recumbent mod. Strada...and a DF. He
> has posted some interesting times. While he stated he is faster on a DF, but not much as I
> remember.

> Some seem to think that since they can't equal their ability or in many cases surpass
> their df climbing abilities...that no one can.

I want to believe...I'd just like to see some evidence, either first hand or in race results. You
must admit that all the wonderful anecdotal stories we hear on this NG come from Florida, the
Eastern Shore of Md, etc.. I never see stories like these from the big rides in the Rockies,
Cascades, San Juans, etc..

Skeptically, Chris

p.s. Curious about the Mike Vogel climbing reports. Did a google search in the groups and then WWW
but nothing coming up.

Regards Chris