"wanna race?"

Luigi De Guzman

Guest
As our heroes suffer out on the Tour--allez Tyler!--it seems that the racing mood has swept far and
wide, even as far as Southwark...

Got on bekah to go to the bank today and had just turned up Tabard Street. A little girl, maybe 11,
on a bike sees me coming the other way, rides up alongside me and says "wanna race?"

"sure," i say. "On three. One....two...three!"

She wins.

She also probably made my day.

-Luigi

[email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> As our heroes suffer out on the Tour--allez Tyler!--it seems that the racing mood has swept far
> and wide, even as far as Southwark...
>
> Got on bekah to go to the bank today and had just turned up Tabard Street. A little girl, maybe
> 11, on a bike sees me coming the other way, rides up alongside me and says "wanna race?"
>
> "sure," i say. "On three. One....two...three!"
>
> She wins.
>
> She also probably made my day.
>
> -Luigi

That's awesome. Hopefully, the exposure this TDF is recieving will help inspire some more youngsters
to take up racing.

- Boyd S.

[email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) wrote:

> A little girl, maybe 11, on a bike sees me coming the other way, rides up alongside me and says
> "wanna race?"

On my commute home a little kid will occasionally pull up next to me pedaling with all of his might,
racing me to the next stop sign. It's pretty cool :)

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
: As our heroes suffer out on the Tour--allez Tyler!--it seems that the racing mood has swept far
: and wide, even as far as Southwark...

: Got on bekah to go to the bank today and had just turned up Tabard Street. A little girl, maybe
: 11, on a bike sees me coming the other way, rides up alongside me and says "wanna race?"

What kind of a bike is that bekah... not even a recumbent or a road bike? Little girls would dare to
challenge lance/fabrizio-lookalikes on road bikes? :)

On 18 Jul 2003 06:32:57 -0700, [email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) from
http://groups.google.com/ wrote:

>Got on bekah to go to the bank today and had just turned up Tabard Street. A little girl, maybe 11,
>on a bike sees me coming the other way, rides up alongside me and says "wanna race?"
>
>"sure," i say. "On three. One....two...three!"
>
>She wins.

I played some Ultimate yesterday and covered a 10-year-old boy. I was giving him plenty of room,
kind of hoping he'd burn me deep, but he never did. He's got a good throw, though.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I don't like FRANK SINATRA or his CHILDREN.
3:05:55 PM 18 July 2003

[email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> As our heroes suffer out on the Tour--allez Tyler!--it seems that the racing mood has swept far
> and wide, even as far as Southwark...
>
> Got on bekah to go to the bank today and had just turned up Tabard Street. A little girl, maybe
> 11, on a bike sees me coming the other way, rides up alongside me and says "wanna race?"
>
> "sure," i say. "On three. One....two...three!"
>
> She wins.
>
> She also probably made my day.

My 8 year old declared yesterday that when she wins a stage at Tour De France, she's going to have a
podium *boy* give her flowers, trophy, and a kiss on each cheek.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky ([email protected])

Home of the meditative cyclist: http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm Singing with you
at: http://www.tiferet.net/ Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

Luigi de Guzman wrote in message
<[email protected]>...

>"sure," i say. "On three. One....two...three!"

Luigi, you don't do sprints by counting down, the art of sprinting is in the tactics.

You should have let her led out, and then with 50 meters or so to go you come around her, if done
right she won't have any more to put into her sprint.

Anyway, with little kids you can always win by changing the location of the finish line to suit you.

[email protected] wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> What kind of a bike is that bekah... not even a recumbent or a road bike? Little girls would dare
> to challenge lance/fabrizio-lookalikes on road bikes? :)

Bekah's my long-suffering London bike: pink and black eighty-something MBK mixte with a Sachs
torpedo 3-speed hub, mudguards, carrier, moustache-ish handlebars, coaster brake, etc.

I'd steal my neighbour's Waterford, but being the only fat ******* on a Waterford in Southwark, I'd
be a bit conspicuous....

I miss my Aurora at home.

-Luigi

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Luigi, you don't do sprints by counting down, the art of sprinting is in the tactics.
>
> You should have let her led out, and then with 50 meters or so to go you come around her, if done
> right she won't have any more to put into her sprint.

Just as well it was you Luigi, not Robbie McEwen.

After blaming everybody from the Creator on down, he would have sulked for weeks at losing a sprint

Love the endorphins after a race - go with the flow.

best, Andrew

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Anyway, with little kids you can always win by changing the location of the finish line to
> suit you.

Poor little kids. Maybe that's what happened to George W Bush Junior when he was little. :)

Do you recall the ad for the Toyota Sprinter, in which it beat the "Green Monster" turbine-powered
dragster in the 579(?) foot dash ?

Toyota and monster at starting line. Light turns green. Toyota is off and accelerating. MOnster
is waiting for the engine to come up to speed. Toyota is accelerating. Monster is waiting for the
engine to come up to speed. Toyota ... Monster.....

Finally the engine is at speed, the monster accelerates at an alarming rate and, just before it
passes the Toyota, they take the picture of the winner (Toyota) in the 579 foot dash.

19 Jul 2003 04:06:46 -0700,
<[email protected]>, [email protected] (mark freedman) wrote:

> Finally the engine is at speed, the monster accelerates at an alarming rate and, just before it
> passes the Toyota, they take the picture of the winner (Toyota) in the 579 foot dash.

Remember the one with the race cars vs. the back hoe.

Cars and backhoe take off on an oval course. Cars disappear while backhoe starts digging a trench.
Cars reappear stopped at trench the backhoe dug just before the finish line which it had crossed
before it started digging.
--
zk

[email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> As our heroes suffer out on the Tour--allez Tyler!--it seems that the racing mood has swept far
> and wide, even as far as Southwark...
>
> Got on bekah to go to the bank today and had just turned up Tabard Street. A little girl, maybe
> 11, on a bike sees me coming the other way, rides up alongside me and says "wanna race?"
>
> "sure," i say. "On three. One....two...three!"
>
> She wins.
>
> She also probably made my day.

Once I had a couple of kids on BMX(?) bikes riding in the same direction that I was going. As I
caught up with them one of them started accelerating clearly wanting to race. I pulled up even with
him and stayed there for a while and then raced ahead dropping him. When he caught up I told him he
got up to 20 MPH to which his eyes got really big and he replied "Really? Thanks!"

Charlie in Houston

"Charlie C." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Once I had a couple of kids on BMX(?) bikes riding in the same direction that I was going. As I
> caught up with them one of them started accelerating clearly wanting to race. I pulled up even
> with him and stayed there for a while and then raced ahead dropping him. When he caught up I told
> him he got up to 20 MPH to which his eyes got really big and he replied "Really? Thanks!"

the bmx kiddies are always shocked to see me in the middle of the street. Well-executed merges
through SUVs draw stares.

-Luigi

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Luigi de Guzman wrote in message
> <[email protected]>...
> >
> >"sure," i say. "On three. One....two...three!"
>
> Luigi, you don't do sprints by counting down, the art of sprinting is in the tactics.
>
> You should have let her led out, and then with 50 meters or so to go you come around her, if done
> right she won't have any more to put into her sprint.
>
> Anyway, with little kids you can always win by changing the location of the finish line to
> suit you.

I'll try to do better next time, fab. this season's more or less written-off, I guess.

She had the jump on me right from the start--it was a slow reaction thing more than a failure of
tactics, I guess.

-Luigi

Claire wrote:
> My 8 year old declared yesterday that when she wins a stage at Tour De France, she's going to have
> a podium *boy* give her flowers, trophy, and a kiss on each cheek.

This inquiring mind wants to know... --are the podium babes different each day, or the same? (And
how does one list that on one's resume? "Awards Presenter and Busser, Centennial TdF") --how long
after the race finish is the podium thing? (Do the gals have to kiss sweaty yuckky buggy cheeks,
or do the riders wipe down or even change out of their sweaty kit first? --do they use the same
jersey on LA every day and he gives it back right after the event? Or do they have a new one?
--On the Velo-News site there's a marvelous photo gallery. In the team time trial podium picture
LA has his bibs hanging down under his (team) jersey. Wassup widdat?

TIA --Karen M. who would love to ask OLN for more details of "ther rest of the story"

[email protected] (Karen M.) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Claire wrote:
> > My 8 year old declared yesterday that when she wins a stage at Tour De France, she's going to
> > have a podium *boy* give her flowers, trophy, and a kiss on each cheek.
>
> This inquiring mind wants to know... --are the podium babes different each day, or the same?
> (And how does one list that on one's resume? "Awards Presenter and Busser, Centennial TdF")
> --how long after the race finish is the podium thing? (Do the gals have to kiss sweaty yuckky
> buggy cheeks, or do the riders wipe down or even change out of their sweaty kit first?

a day in the life of a Credit Lyonnais podium girl:

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/tour_de_france_2003/3051288.stm>

-Luigi

> Claire wrote:
> > My 8 year old declared yesterday that when she wins a stage at Tour De France, she's going to
> > have a podium *boy* give her flowers, trophy, and a kiss on each cheek.
>
> This inquiring mind wants to know... --are the podium babes different each day, or the same?
> (And how does one list that on one's resume? "Awards Presenter and Busser, Centennial TdF")

They are professional podium babes I think, because I recognized a couple of them from the podium in
World Rally Championship races. I'm guessing they are the same as here, models or beauty pageant
winners, hopefully going onto bigger and better things before they start to get wrinkles :)

--
_________________________

"Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Karen M.) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Claire wrote:
> >
> > This inquiring mind wants to know... --are the podium babes different each day, or the same?
> > (And how does one list that on one's resume? "Awards Presenter and Busser, Centennial TdF")
> > --how long after the race finish is the podium thing? (Do the gals have to kiss sweaty yuckky
> > buggy cheeks, or do the riders wipe down or even change out of their sweaty kit first?
>
> a day in the life of a Credit Lyonnais podium girl:

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/tour_de_france_2003/30 51288.stm>

On a less informative note, here's what happens when a podium girl goes bad:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=diaries/PGGB/PGGB030