Wanna see a REAL cycle track?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simonb, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    http://www.widerworld.co.uk/annecy/cycleroute.jpg

    From my summer hols. The bike was hired and dreadful. The route goes around Lac d'Annecy (45km) a
    good deal of it along this disused narrow gauge railway line (which, I think, continues on to
    Albertville). This was taken at 6am. Although this stretch was empty when I took it, there were
    people using it to get to work at the various towns around the lake -- the main road is very busy.
    Look how smooth the surface is!

    More of these here please.

    Simonb

    Tags:

  2. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > http://www.widerworld.co.uk/annecy/cycleroute.jpg
    >
    > From my summer hols. The bike was hired and dreadful. The route goes around Lac d'Annecy (45km) a
    > good deal of it along this disused narrow gauge railway line (which, I think, continues on to
    > Albertville). This was taken at 6am. Although this stretch was empty when I took it, there were
    > people using it to get to work at the various towns around the lake -- the main road is very busy.
    > Look how smooth the surface is!

    Yes, it's quite a good one. The gravel bits at the side are where pedestrians tend to walk, which is
    nice. People are used to fast cyclists using the track, which is also nice. At some roads, the track
    has priority, which appears to be respected! (At others there is the usual paraphanalia of barriers
    presenting amusing obstacles to a tandem). Just watch out for inline skaters...

    (the route on the other side of the lake is a bit vague.)

    We had a jolly good ride starting at our campsite a few km anticlockwise from annecy, going up the
    Semnoz one way and hurtling down another, then riding round the lake clockwise. Our friends did a
    similar idea, except up the Forclaz and anticlockwise.

    cheers, clive

  3. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > http://www.widerworld.co.uk/annecy/cycleroute.jpg
    >
    > From my summer hols. The bike was hired and dreadful. The route goes around Lac d'Annecy (45km) a
    > good deal of it along this disused narrow gauge railway line (which, I think, continues on to
    > Albertville). This was taken at 6am. Although this stretch was empty when I took it, there were
    > people using it to get to work at the various towns around the lake -- the main road is very busy.
    > Look how smooth the surface is!
    >
    > More of these here please.
    >
    > Simonb

    Excellent, just like a road, but without the need to cater for excessive speed or weight. The
    clues are are there for every one to be in the right place and it could cross roads using noraml
    junction signs.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this:

  4. Iarocu

    Iarocu Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://www.widerworld.co.uk/annecy/cycleroute.jpg
    >
    > From my summer hols. The bike was hired and dreadful. The route goes around Lac d'Annecy (45km) a
    > good deal of it along this disused narrow gauge railway line (which, I think, continues on to
    > Albertville). This was taken at 6am. Although this stretch was empty when I took it, there were
    > people using it to get to work at the various towns around the lake -- the main road is very busy.
    > Look how smooth the surface is!
    >
    > More of these here please.

    The Kelvin Cycleway in Glasgow is of equal quality. It also follows the route of a disused railway
    and has a similiar quality tarmac surface. The scenery in Glasgow is different though. Iain

  5. In news:[email protected],
    iarocu <[email protected]> typed:
    > "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> http://www.widerworld.co.uk/annecy/cycleroute.jpg
    >>
    >> From my summer hols. The bike was hired and dreadful. The route goes around Lac d'Annecy (45km) a
    >> good deal of it along this disused narrow gauge railway line (which, I think, continues on to
    >> Albertville). This was taken at 6am. Although this stretch was empty when I took it, there were
    >> people using it to get to work at the various towns around the lake -- the main road is very
    >> busy. Look how smooth the surface is!
    >>
    >> More of these here please.
    >>
    > The Kelvin Cycleway in Glasgow is of equal quality. It also follows the route of a disused railway
    > and has a similiar quality tarmac surface. The scenery in Glasgow is different though. Iain

    Also the North Edinburgh & Innocent Railway/Musselburgh cycle routes are similar. I've been on a
    lovely cross country disused railway in Germany, in the Eiffel Mountains, which was amazing. From
    Daum, IIRC