Want a new chain?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Msa, Apr 29, 2003.

  1. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Do you think this is worth the price?

    :)

    http://www.vikinginternational.com/

    --
    Mark

  2. Dreamlx10

    Dreamlx10 Guest

  3. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Do you think this is worth the price?

    It's always fun to boast that one of your components costs more than someone else's complete bike,
    but a bicycle chain? Imagine Guy buying three of these at a time for his 'bent. :)

    I've read somewhere that you should expect to pay about $1 extra for each gram saved. This appears
    to be about $6 per gram, so it doesn't seem cost effective. You can't use it with 9 or 10 speed
    either. However, you don't need to buy those expensive special pins so there's some money back
    straight away. :)

    --
    Dave...

  4. Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    [$250 titanium bicycle chain]
    >>Do you think this is worth the price?
    >I've read somewhere that you should expect to pay about $1 extra for each gram saved. This appears
    >to be about $6 per gram, so it doesn't seem cost effective.

    Especially since it is a consumable - although I think one might ignore the chain stretch and ride
    it until it skips...

    >You can't use it with 9 or 10 speed either.

    I noticed that - it's just the icing on the cake. I'm sure there are people out there demented and
    well-off enough to buy one - but they surely all will have 9 or 10 speed gears...

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 30 Apr 2003 01:59:52 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

    >It's always fun to boast that one of your components costs more than someone else's complete bike,
    >but a bicycle chain? Imagine Guy buying three of these at a time for his 'bent. :)

    Hmmm. I wonder if they do it gold plated?

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 30 Apr 2003 13:26:37 +0100 (BST), David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>You can't use it with 9 or 10 speed either.
    >
    >I noticed that - it's just the icing on the cake. I'm sure there are people out there demented and
    >well-off enough to buy one - but they surely all will have 9 or 10 speed gears...

    You jest! They'll have Rohloff Speedhubs of course :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  7. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    > On 30 Apr 2003 01:59:52 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:
    >
    > >It's always fun to boast that one of your components costs more than someone else's complete
    > >bike, but a bicycle chain? Imagine Guy buying three of these at a time for his 'bent. :)
    >
    > Hmmm. I wonder if they do it gold plated?
    >
    > Guy
    > ===
    > ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    > dynamic DNS permitting)
    > NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    > work. Apologies.

    Mine is. I've got a titanium chain too on my Ridgeback. Now it only weighs 16 pounds.

  8. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    > Hmmm. I wonder if they do it gold plated?

    You're supposed to pay through the nose to save weight, not to gain it!

    --
    Dave...

  9. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I've got a titanium chain too on my Ridgeback. Now it only weighs 16 pounds.

    That's very heavy for a chain. What does the bike weigh?

    --
    Dave...

  10. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 1 May 2003 09:38:12 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

    >"Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> I've got a titanium chain too on my Ridgeback. Now it only weighs 16 pounds.
    >
    >That's very heavy for a chain. What does the bike weigh?

    <g> My thought too, Dave, but I elected not to type anything similar.

    However, as you've broken the ice and taken the plunge (and quite possibly done things with several
    other clich├ęs), I'm sure that Smudger's chain will probably last a long time - not sure about the
    sprockets though.

    James

    --
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 1 May 2003 09:40:22 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

    >> Hmmm. I wonder if they do it gold plated?

    >You're supposed to pay through the nose to save weight, not to gain it!

    You higgerant wedgie riders wouldn't appreciate the extra smug factor from seeing all those shiny
    gold links whirring around in front of you :eek:)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  12. Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    [titanium chains]
    >>I noticed that - it's just the icing on the cake. I'm sure there are people out there demented and
    >>well-off enough to buy one - but they surely all will have 9 or 10 speed gears...
    >You jest! They'll have Rohloff Speedhubs of course :)

    Nah - the Rohloff is for the well-off but not-demented.

  13. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Hmmm. I wonder if they do it gold plated?

    Regina and Sedis have certainly both offered gold-finished chains in the past.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  14. In article <n1j*[email protected]>, David Damerell wrote:
    >Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote: [$250 titanium bicycle chain]
    >>>Do you think this is worth the price?

    >>You can't use it with 9 or 10 speed either.
    >
    >I noticed that [...]

    So have they, though maybe a bit late http://www.vikinginternational.com/future.htm "ViKing has
    determined that its titanium chain, in relation to indexing derailleur systems compatibility, will
    require that the chain's width be narrower in order to function with all index derailleur systems."