Want a new chain?

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Do you think this is worth the price?

It's always fun to boast that one of your components costs more than someone else's complete bike,
but a bicycle chain? Imagine Guy buying three of these at a time for his 'bent. :)

I've read somewhere that you should expect to pay about $1 extra for each gram saved. This appears
to be about $6 per gram, so it doesn't seem cost effective. You can't use it with 9 or 10 speed
either. However, you don't need to buy those expensive special pins so there's some money back
straight away. :)

--
Dave...

Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote:
>"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
[$250 titanium bicycle chain]
>>Do you think this is worth the price?
>I've read somewhere that you should expect to pay about $1 extra for each gram saved. This appears
>to be about $6 per gram, so it doesn't seem cost effective.

Especially since it is a consumable - although I think one might ignore the chain stretch and ride
it until it skips...

>You can't use it with 9 or 10 speed either.

I noticed that - it's just the icing on the cake. I'm sure there are people out there demented and
well-off enough to buy one - but they surely all will have 9 or 10 speed gears...

On 30 Apr 2003 01:59:52 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

>It's always fun to boast that one of your components costs more than someone else's complete bike,
>but a bicycle chain? Imagine Guy buying three of these at a time for his 'bent. :)

Hmmm. I wonder if they do it gold plated?

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On 30 Apr 2003 13:26:37 +0100 (BST), David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:

>>You can't use it with 9 or 10 speed either.
>
>I noticed that - it's just the icing on the cake. I'm sure there are people out there demented and
>well-off enough to buy one - but they surely all will have 9 or 10 speed gears...

You jest! They'll have Rohloff Speedhubs of course :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

> On 30 Apr 2003 01:59:52 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:
>
> >It's always fun to boast that one of your components costs more than someone else's complete
> >bike, but a bicycle chain? Imagine Guy buying three of these at a time for his 'bent. :)
>
> Hmmm. I wonder if they do it gold plated?
>
> Guy
> ===
> ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
> dynamic DNS permitting)
> NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
> work. Apologies.

Mine is. I've got a titanium chain too on my Ridgeback. Now it only weighs 16 pounds.

On 1 May 2003 09:38:12 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

>"Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> I've got a titanium chain too on my Ridgeback. Now it only weighs 16 pounds.
>
>That's very heavy for a chain. What does the bike weigh?

<g> My thought too, Dave, but I elected not to type anything similar.

However, as you've broken the ice and taken the plunge (and quite possibly done things with several
other clichés), I'm sure that Smudger's chain will probably last a long time - not sure about the
sprockets though.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

On 1 May 2003 09:40:22 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

>> Hmmm. I wonder if they do it gold plated?

>You're supposed to pay through the nose to save weight, not to gain it!

You higgerant wedgie riders wouldn't appreciate the extra smug factor from seeing all those shiny
gold links whirring around in front of you :eek:)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
><[email protected]> wrote:
[titanium chains]
>>I noticed that - it's just the icing on the cake. I'm sure there are people out there demented and
>>well-off enough to buy one - but they surely all will have 9 or 10 speed gears...
>You jest! They'll have Rohloff Speedhubs of course :)

Nah - the Rohloff is for the well-off but not-demented.

news:<[email protected]>...

> Hmmm. I wonder if they do it gold plated?

Regina and Sedis have certainly both offered gold-finished chains in the past.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

In article <n1j*[email protected]>, David Damerell wrote:
>Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote: [$250 titanium bicycle chain]
>>>Do you think this is worth the price?

>>You can't use it with 9 or 10 speed either.
>
>I noticed that [...]

So have they, though maybe a bit late http://www.vikinginternational.com/future.htm "ViKing has
determined that its titanium chain, in relation to indexing derailleur systems compatibility, will
require that the chain's width be narrower in order to function with all index derailleur systems."