Want a top HardTail but need help choosing!!

bodleyhenley

New Member
May 27, 2003
Hi all,

Im 23 and currently wanting to get back into mountain biking after stopping when i was 14 - when my bike was taken from me at knifepoint by a gang of yobs.

Im looking to buy a really good hard tail bike, as the one I had when i was younger was pretty good for my age (Saracen Kiliflyer comp). I want something that climbs well - as i like going up big mountains and very steep hills and mud!

Budget is around £700-£1200($1000-$1600??) and im currently looking at Konas as ive always wanted one since my friend got a lava dome many years back and I really liked it.

Konas i was looking at were the..

cinder cone
kula
explosif (this being the priciest)

I was also looking at marins at similar prices..

Rocky ridge
indian fire trail.

Anyone have any experiences with these bikes and have any idea of advantages and disadvantages of them?

Im currently leaning towards the Kona explosif but i dont know whether the extra cost is worth it.

Thanks in Advance!

Bods.

> Im looking to buy a really good hard tail bike, as the one I had when i was younger was pretty
> good for my age (Saracen Kiliflyer comp). I want something that climbs well - as i like going up
> big mountains and very steep hills and mud!

My Schwinn Homegrown Factory Team is for sale. Last of the Really Cool American Mass-produced
Hardtails. This thing can climb, I tell you what! I built it up about 4 or 5 months ago, so it's
still in great shape. It's a 21" frame (XL), and weighs about 10 kg.

http://members.cox.net/jhnmorgan/MTB/homegrown.jpg

-John Morgan

bodleyhenley <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi all,
>
> Im 23 and currently wanting to get back into mountain biking after stopping when i was 14 - when
> my bike was taken from me at knifepoint by a gang of yobs.
>
> Im looking to buy a really good hard tail bike, as the one I had when i was younger was pretty
> good for my age (Saracen Kiliflyer comp). I want something that climbs well - as i like going up
> big mountains and very steep hills and mud!
>
> Budget is around £700-£1200($1000-$1600??) and im currently looking at Konas as ive always wanted
> one since my friend got a lava dome many years back and I really liked it.
>
> Konas i was looking at were the..
>
> cinder cone kula explosif (this being the priciest)
>
> I was also looking at marins at similar prices..
>
> Rocky ridge indian fire trail.
>
> Anyone have any experiences with these bikes and have any idea of advantages and disadvantages
> of them?
>
> Im currently leaning towards the Kona explosif but i dont know whether the extra cost is worth it.
>
> Thanks in Advance!
>
> Bods.

Here's another nice Kona to look at in your price range;

http://www.konaworld.com/2k3/2k3_kula.cfm

bodleyhenley <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi all,
>
> Im 23 and currently wanting to get back into mountain biking after stopping when i was 14 - when
> my bike was taken from me at knifepoint by a gang of yobs.
>
> Im looking to buy a really good hard tail bike, as the one I had when i was younger was pretty
> good for my age (Saracen Kiliflyer comp). I want something that climbs well - as i like going up
> big mountains and very steep hills and mud!
>

> Rocky ridge indian fire trail.
>

> Thanks in Advance!
>
> Bods.

My wife has a Marin Rocky Ridge. I think it's a great bike at a good value.

Paladin

KHS Alite 4000 or similar in series is a great deal. My 15" frame only weighs in at 3 lbs. Riding
buddies using KHS don't have any complains. No big names glamour though.

Regards, KW Mui