Want Discs & Wheels

umberto

Oct 4, 2003
hey, i went to Big Bear, California with friends and really threw-out everything. I fell a couple of times on the downhill race tracks. the downhill and single track were just killer, it was amazing, words could never explaine it. my arms were just killing me, and when i tried my friends hydrolic discs, it was great. even another's mycanical discs were great. after 18 miles (which to you all is nothing) i would do anything for discs. I want to convert to Avids 185mm mycanical disc brakes, but i want a decent dics wheelset. Something that would be able to handle 120 lbs (lol) but still not be monster wieghts. Ive got a price range of up to $200, but would like to stay cheaper.

Thanks in advance-umberto :p

umberto said:
hey, i went to Big Bear, California with friends and really threw-out everything. I fell a couple of times on the downhill race tracks. the downhill and single track were just killer, it was amazing, words could never explaine it. my arms were just killing me, and when i tried my friends hydrolic discs, it was great. even another's mycanical discs were great. after 18 miles (which to you all is nothing) i would do anything for discs. I want to convert to Avids 185mm mycanical disc brakes, but i want a decent dics wheelset. Something that would be able to handle 120 lbs (lol) but still not be monster wieghts. Ive got a price range of up to $200, but would like to stay cheaper.

Thanks in advance-umberto :p

I will pretty much always tell folks to get Sun rims. I've been riding Suns for years and love them; US made, nice. If you look around at the "discount" internet shops (Supergo, Performance, etc) you can often find great deals on disc wheelsets. I can not remember which one (performance or Supergo), but they had LX hubs and Sun Rhyno rims for under $200 (great deal, super reliable wheelset and bomb-proof). There were also other options that were good deals. Check them out. At 120lbs (my left leg weighs 115lbs, kidding, sort of!) you shouldn't have to worry about killing too many wheels unless you are hucking 15' chutes/drops. The Avid mechanicals are solid. Stay away from Hayes mechanicals. Their hydros are nice, but for some reason the mechanicals just don't do the job. Have fun and check out some internet joints.

K.

I think i want to go for the 185mm discs rather than avids 160mm, 7in instead of 6ins, id like the increased stopping power, but what would i really need for my wieght, i go some black diamond stuff :confused:

umberto said:
I think i want to go for the 185mm discs rather than avids 160mm, 7in instead of 6ins, id like the increased stopping power, but what would i really need for my wieght, i go some black diamond stuff :confused:
I think the choice is between 6"(160mm) and 8"(200mm)

I have been pleased with my crosslands and UST Geax tires. But they are the only disc wheels i've ridden. They hold upto my 260# of abuse rather well.

fwiw,
Mark

Umberto,

What setup do you have at the moment? From what I have read, it sounds like you are running v's. Also, what kind of riding do you do... DH, XC, 'freeride'

So for your $200 you'd have to get a new wheelset, and brakes.

WTB make a pretty good bang for the buck disc ready wheelset (WTB Laserdisc I think?).

In regards to rotor size, what forks do you have? If you just have XC forks e.g. Sid, Duke etc, anything larger than a 6" rotor will void fork warranty, and probably snap your fork dropouts.

I am using XT V-brake. Last saturday i was driving complite off-road (mud and snow), must say that was good exp. That day my brakes do very good job.

AzzaC said:
Umberto,

What setup do you have at the moment? From what I have read, it sounds like you are running v's. Also, what kind of riding do you do... DH, XC, 'freeride'

So for your $200 you'd have to get a new wheelset, and brakes.

WTB make a pretty good bang for the buck disc ready wheelset (WTB Laserdisc I think?).

In regards to rotor size, what forks do you have? If you just have XC forks e.g. Sid, Duke etc, anything larger than a 6" rotor will void fork warranty, and probably snap your fork dropouts.

You know... actually I am ok with my v-brakes now, technology gets cheaper, im out growing my bike... for now im going to stick with my avid speed 7 or something v-brakes. I am really an all-around rider, but with my wieght can get away with lighter weight stuff, thanks a lot